Max Duggan - TCu from IOWA 4*

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Someone needs to inform Patterson that a quarterback needs at least 15 games before he can play in the Big 12.
What's wrong with the Ft. Worth media? Don't they have someone that can get the message out to Gary and anyone else in the BIg 12 that thinks they can start a freshman quarterback and hope to have any success.
How do these people get jobs coaching?!
My understanding is that Patterson has severely limited Duggan to keep mistakes at a minimum. It may very well take them 15 games to open up the playbook completely.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
Spencer Sanders looked amazing against Texas too.

If you look at what he's done for his other games as starter at TCU, it's very lackluster.
This is a good point. Texas is ranked 126th out of 130 teams against the pass, and they still have significant injuries in their secondary. It's easy for a quarterback to look good against the Longhorns right now. Dugan does seem to be playing better though. Hopefully we'll be able to slow him down. Our defense really looked like they took a major step forward against Iowa State.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
This is a good point. Texas is ranked 126th out of 130 teams against the pass, and they still have significant injuries in their secondary. It's easy for a quarterback to look good against the Longhorns right now. Dugan does seem to be playing better though. Hopefully we'll be able to slow him down. Our defense really looked like they took a major step forward against Iowa State.
Yeah they forced one of the three best QBs in the league to throw three interceptions and put a ton of pressure on him all day...

But everything sucks and our whole program is a dumpster fire, I guess.

Oct 30, 2007
Yeah they forced one of the three best QBs in the league to throw three interceptions and put a ton of pressure on him all day...

But everything sucks and our whole program is a dumpster fire, I guess.
After the Oregon State game, many were talking about how Sanders could being one of our best quarterbacks ever. A few games later, many wanted to see Dru Brown. After the K-State game, many were talking about winning the conference. After the Baylor game, many were talking about missing a bowl.

That's just how these things go. Emotions tend to win out over logic. Things are rarely as good or as bad as the masses tend to think.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
After the Oregon State game, many were talking about how Sanders could being one of our best quarterbacks ever. A few games later, many wanted to see Dru Brown. After the K-State game, many were talking about winning the conference. After the Baylor game, many were talking about missing a bowl.

That's just how these things go. Emotions tend to win out over logic. Things are rarely as good or as bad as the masses tend to think.
That's why I've had to take a big step back from the message board. I've found myself hating OSU fans.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Someone needs to inform Patterson that a quarterback needs at least 15 games before he can play in the Big 12.
What's wrong with the Ft. Worth media? Don't they have someone that can get the message out to Gary and anyone else in the BIg 12 that thinks they can start a freshman quarterback and hope to have any success.
How do these people get jobs coaching?!
I realize you were being sarcastic, but the stats I posted above kinda bear out that it's true. Duggan has a slightly lower QB rating than Sanders. He has improved as he has gone along.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

Just to point out, I questioned Sanders' accuracy on long balls after Oregon State. He underthrew and the receivers and d-backs bailed him out.

Oct 30, 2007
Just to point out, I questioned Sanders' accuracy on long balls after Oregon State. He underthrew and the receivers and d-backs bailed him out.
I remember that. I think I was higher on him than you were after the first game. I still think he has a high ceiling, but it might take him awhile to reach it.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I remember that. I think I was higher on him than you were after the first game. I still think he has a high ceiling, but it might take him awhile to reach it.
I think he has a high ceiling, too. I think he's going to be great. But we're going to take some lumps this year as he learns the position.

Sanders outplays Duggan and we win.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I hope so. But my gut tells me that we have a couple more lumps to take because of his carelessness with the ball.
I doubt Sanders ability to throw down field with precise accuracy. I doubt his arm strength and his anticipations.

Most of the long TDs he had were the simple short sideline throws that the speedy athletic receivers made great plays after the catches. Sanders can't even execute our trademark jump throws along the sidelines of the end-zones.

Our Offense is way below the recent norms:

https://oklahoman.com/article/5645612/sooner-defense-dips-to-no.-4-in-the-big-12

copy/paste:
Oklahoma State .348: Decent. The cold, hard truth is that OSU’s defense is outperforming the OSU offense.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I doubt Sanders ability to throw down field with precise accuracy. I doubt his arm strength and his anticipations.

Most of the long TDs he had were the simple short sideline throws that the speedy athletic receivers made great plays after the catches. Sanders can't even execute our trademark jump throws along the sidelines of the end-zones.

Our Offense is way below the recent norms:

https://oklahoman.com/article/5645612/sooner-defense-dips-to-no.-4-in-the-big-12

copy/paste:
Oklahoma State .348: Decent. The cold, hard truth is that OSU’s defense is outperforming the OSU offense.
I agree. We took some lumps last year with a 5th year senior, former walk-on with little game experience. We'll take some lumps this year with a RS freshman. But I think he'll get better over the next couple of years, the game will slow down. Coaches will work on ball security.

I agree with you about arm strength. It might improve over the next couple of years. But Weeden and Rudolph he ain't right now.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I agree. We took some lumps last year with a 5th year senior, former walk-on with little game experience. We'll take some lumps this year with a RS freshman. But I think he'll get better over the next couple of years, the game will slow down. Coaches will work on ball security.

I agree with you about arm strength. It might improve over the next couple of years. But Weeden and Rudolph he ain't right now.
His ball security, his visions and the anticipations will improve significantly, Not much arm strength will improve in the next coming years. He was under coach Glass program for over 2 years by now. You either has it now or not.

We will just be dumping the balls here left and here right and just maybe about 40 yds downfield. Anything over 40 yards, the then wide open WRs would have to wait and have to jump over the DBs to make catches if not the WRs themselves has to play DB roles to avoid interceptions.

Nov 14, 2010
Sanders has very good arm strength.

This was his scouting report from 24/7
"Strong-armed quarterback who shows great velocity in the short-to-intermediate range, including impressive zip on routes across field and/or outside the numbers. Great feel for the deep ball. Strength to push the ball downfield and touch to drop it on top of his receivers."

This was a headline from the Dallas Morning News
"With his ‘rocket’ arm, former Denton Ryan star Spencer Sanders is primed for Oklahoma State QB competition"

This is a quote from Tylan Wallace about his arm..
"He was just letting it go," wide receiver Tylan Wallace said, "and you could tell he wasn't really putting too much effort into it."

And another from Wallace....
"Spencer really has a natural arm," Wallace said. "He can really throw it if you need him to."

This is from Johnny Wilson
"it's just like no effort," Wilson said. "Spencer can rocket a ball in there."

In fact, Gundy himself, has said that, one of the reasons the quicks and bubbles are better this year is because Sanders puts more RPM's on them than Rudolph or Cornelius did.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Last year and this year are on Yurcich. His recruiting failures left us without a quality QB to take over when MR graduated.
Eh, I'd have to look back on the comings & goings of our QB's, but I think you could hang the same thought on a lot of schools today, given the rate of QB transfers. Recruiting & timing the seamless progression of QB's in a program is harder than ever to do, imo. Just look at the sheer number of schools that struggle with this.

And, we had Sanders & Brown when MR left, fwiw.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Eh, I'd have to look back on the comings & goings of our QB's, but I think you could hang the same thought on a lot of schools today, given the rate of QB transfers. Recruiting & timing the seamless progression of QB's in a program is harder than ever to do, imo. Just look at the sheer number of schools that struggle with this.

And, we had Sanders & Brown when MR left, fwiw.
Yes, we had Sanders and Brown when MR graduated, and neither were ready to take over. We should have had a quality backup during MR's senior year who was ready to take over the next year. We didn't. That's on Yurcich.