Mattis sounds off on Trump

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Hell of a read
https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...nounces-trump-protests-militarization/612640/

“When I joined the military, some 50 years ago,” he writes, “I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.”

“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us,” Mattis writes. “We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.”

The pandemic has shown us that it is not only our troops who are willing to offer the ultimate sacrifice for the safety of the community. Americans in hospitals, grocery stores, post offices, and elsewhere have put their lives on the line in order to serve their fellow citizens and their country. We know that we are better than the abuse of executive authority that we witnessed in Lafayette Square. We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution. At the same time, we must remember Lincoln’s “better angels,” and listen to them, as we work to unite.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
What about what General John Allen said yesterday in his Op-Ed in Foreign Policy

'The slide of the United States into illiberalism may well have begun on June 1, 2020,' Allen wrote in an op-ed published to ForeginPolicy.com on Wednesday. 'Remember the date. It may well signal the beginning of the end of the American experiment.'
The retired general is referencing a Monday outing when President Trump stepped outside the White House, walked across Lafayette Park, which was clear of protesters minutes earlier by use of tear gas and rubber bullets, and arrived at St. John's Episcopal Church for a photo-op with his bible.

[T]he president proclaimed himself the 'ally of peaceful protesters.' But, at that very moment, just a few hundred feet away across Lafayette Park, fully equipped riot police and troops violently, and without provocation, set upon the peaceful demonstrators there, manhandling and beating many of them, employing flash-bangs, riot-control agents, and pepper spray throughout,'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...mp-John-Allen-warns-descent-illiberalism.html

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
All of the sudden -- A man who wanted to bomb civilians in Iran is a hero to the left.
It isn't just Mattis

Former Joint Chief's chairman Admiral Mike Mullen in Op-Ed yesterday called "I Cannot Remain Silent"
"It sickened me yesterday to see security personnel — including members of the National Guard — forcibly and violently clear a path through Lafayette Square to accommodate the president's visit outside St. John's Church,"

I have to date been reticent to speak out on issues surrounding President Trump's leadership, but we are at an inflection point, and the events of the past few weeks have made it impossible to remain silent.

Whatever Trump's goal in conducting his visit, he laid bare his disdain for the rights of peaceful protest in this country, gave succor to the leaders of other countries who take comfort in our domestic strife, and risked further politicizing the men and women of our armed forces.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/american-cities-are-not-battlespaces/612553/

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
All of the sudden -- A man who wanted to bomb civilians in Iran is a hero to the left.
All of the sudden the claims Obama was the most divisive in history start to ring even more hollow. Let me know any other time a General made these types of remarks about the serving POTUS?

Gonna have to come up with a new slogan pretty soon. "Keep America Great" is literally laughable at this point.

Oct 7, 2008
All of the sudden the claims Obama was the most divisive in history start to ring even more hollow. Let me know any other time a General made these types of remarks about the serving POTUS?

Gonna have to come up with a new slogan pretty soon. "Keep America Great" is literally laughable at this point.
They will turn on Jesus Christ before they'll turn on Trump.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
They will turn on Jesus Christ before they'll turn on Trump.
dude literally has former members of his own cabinet calling him out consistently, Freaking Pat Robertson calling him out, former employees calling him out, His own current cabinet disagreeing with his actions and statements, his own Intel community calling him out, retired military leaders calling him out

Yet they are always the bad guys. He never does any wrong.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
When the dust settles and people look back on Trump, it will be the things he was able to get done that will be remembered.

Trump has hurt a lot of feelings and that is what we are seeing.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
When the dust settles and people look back on Trump, it will be the things he was able to get done that will be remembered.

Trump has hurt a lot of feelings and that is what we are seeing.
It is ok to call Trump a traitor, a sexual assaulter, a racist, a pervert—all claims made without any evidence. But Trump is not allowed to fire back.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I like the fact that Trump doesn't allow people to walk over him.
I think other than the fact that he’s a common sense leader and actually tries to follow through on his promises, the fact that Trump fights back is why he’s so popular. I think right wingers got sick of it being ok for the entire left wing mainstream media, Hollywood, etcetera to throw bombs and republican leaders had to just sit there and take it.

In a nutshell, all Trump did was stoop to the left’s level. Which is why he hurts so many feelings because left wingers aren’t used to it.

Nov 6, 2010
I think other than the fact that he’s a common sense leader and actually tries to follow through on his promises, the fact that Trump fights back is why he’s so popular. I think right wingers got sick of it being ok for the entire left wing mainstream media, Hollywood, etcetera to throw bombs and republican leaders had to just sit there and take it.

In a nutshell, all Trump did was stoop to the left’s level. Which is why he hurts so many feelings because left wingers aren’t used to it.
This persecution complex is something to see. You think Obama wasn't attacked constantly while in office?? He literally had to produce his birth certificate finally to prove he was an American citizen. Bush was also attacked relentlessly, but did he act like a child? Nope, neither did Obama. It's because they were mature, stable, decent men that were above that type of nonsense.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
This persecution complex is something to see. You think Obama wasn't attacked constantly while in office?? He literally had to produce his birth certificate finally to prove he was an American citizen. Bush was also attacked relentlessly, but did he act like a child? Nope, neither did Obama. It's because they were mature, stable, decent men that were above that type of nonsense.
Where did I say Obama wasn’t attacked? Where did I say Trump was persecuted? Of course Obama was attacked but he also had the entire MSM complex, all of the broadcast networks, all of the major newspapers around the country, Hollywood, etcetera fully defending, protecting, and promoting him. If you are suggesting that Trump having Fox News and AM radio is a balance in the scales then you are not intellectually honest.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
It isn't just Mattis

Former Joint Chief's chairman Admiral Mike Mullen in Op-Ed yesterday called "I Cannot Remain Silent"
"It sickened me yesterday to see security personnel — including members of the National Guard — forcibly and violently clear a path through Lafayette Square to accommodate the president's visit outside St. John's Church,"

I have to date been reticent to speak out on issues surrounding President Trump's leadership, but we are at an inflection point, and the events of the past few weeks have made it impossible to remain silent.

Whatever Trump's goal in conducting his visit, he laid bare his disdain for the rights of peaceful protest in this country, gave succor to the leaders of other countries who take comfort in our domestic strife, and risked further politicizing the men and women of our armed forces.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/american-cities-are-not-battlespaces/612553/
So you are dodging the issue that Mattis wanted to directly attack Iran, Trump didn't, and that's why he's gone and bitter and the other war hawks didn't like it either?

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Obama called American citizens "enemies".
He also shot his mouth off constantly without knowing the facts. “If I had a son”, “the police acted stupidly”. Unnecessarily adding fuel to the fire of an already out of control situation. Hey I can listen to people crap on Trump all day long. There’s plenty not to like there. But if you are living in a fantasy world where he is any worse than Obama or any other high profile left or right wing politician you are completely delusional and blinded by hate.