Matthew Wolff Going Pro!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Making his debut at the Traveler's Championship next week. He's already qualified for the US Open... so that would be pretty sweet if he made a big splash early.

https://twitter.com/matthew_wolff5/status/1136634964764585985

PanhandleCowboy

Point Guard
A/V Subscriber
Jun 22, 2006
Not Close Enough to Stillwater
Making his debut at the Traveler's Championship next week. He's already qualified for the US Open... so that would be pretty sweet if he made a big splash early.

https://twitter.com/matthew_wolff5/status/1136634964764585985
Good for him, but where have you seen that he has qualified for the US Open?

The only Cowboys I have seen that are qualified at this point are Fowler, Noren, Howell, Hovland, and Eckroat.

Last edited:

PanhandleCowboy

Point Guard
A/V Subscriber
Jun 22, 2006
Not Close Enough to Stillwater
Good to know. Maybe he'll get one of those special exemptions.

I wonder if Hovland is going pro too. He will probably just let it happen... I guess if he's wearing branded gear at the US Open we will know.
It will be interesting to see what Hovland does. Right now he is in the US Open and Open Championship since he won the US Am. I believe if he turns pro, he will no longer be exempt for those tournaments. He could also try and defend his US Am title this summer.

DemBoys

Wrangler
Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
I think that if you qualify as an amateur champion you still need to retain your amateur status to be able to play in the US Open. But that could be wrong.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Speaking of Wolff...

Oklahoma State's Matthew Wolff added to his collection of accolades after being named the 2019 Fred Haskins Award winner as the nation’s most outstanding male collegiate golfer, it was announced Tuesday.

Wolff was one of three finalists for the award in addition to junior teammate Viktor Hovland and Georgia Southern’s Steven Fisk.

Jan 8, 2009
Plano
I am pretty sure those qualifying for the US Open by winning an amateur event have to stay amateur to play in that event. I recall several college players delayed turning pro just to play in a major as an amateur

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
This has probably been answered before, but if you compete in an event like the US Open as an amateur and somehow win or otherwise finish in the money. What happens to that money? Charity? Redistributed among the rest of the winners?

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
This has probably been answered before, but if you compete in an event like the US Open as an amateur and somehow win or otherwise finish in the money. What happens to that money? Charity? Redistributed among the rest of the winners?
You have to declare whether you’re competing as a pro or an amateur before a tournament starts. If you compete as an amateur all the money you earn is just moved down the line to those who finished below you. If the am finished 15th the guy who finished 16th gets 15th place money and on down the line.