Major Baseball Announcement Tomorrow

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Since I never had the fortune of seeing him play or meeting him, I greatly appreciate hearing stories like this.

Btw, he is already memorialized at with his own plaque at Monument Park at Yankee Stadium. It seems he should have an even grander monument at his alma mater.
View attachment 59909

I can’t claim to know Allie P, but I know his grandson. He made the news a while back because of his tireless efforts to return $10,000 to the rightful owner that the bank erroneously put in his account. Even though the bank told him repeatedly they made no mistake and told him to drop it. To the point the bank threatened HIM with legal action. He found the right person and returned the money.

Good people.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
STILLWATER — Oklahoma State’s long-awaited wish for a new baseball stadium is becoming a reality.

The university unfurled plans Thursday for a $60 million baseball stadium that will open for the start of the 2020 season.

Athletic Director Mike Holder, baseball coach Josh Holliday and Jim Hasenbeck, one of the stadium’s architects, spoke with senses of excitement, relief and pride at a news conference in the Greenwood Tennis Center, across the street from the ballpark’s future location at the intersection of Washington Street and McElroy Road.

“This is going to be a new day for OSU baseball,” Holder said.
Link

Feb 25, 2008
• The playing surface is natural glass, but the stadium will also include an artificial turf practice infield for year-round use.

"Natural glass"??? Sounds painful for an outfielder diving for the ball :)

"We thought our way through it as a member of the OSU student body who’s looking for something fun to do that wants to go out and be active,"

Does this mean the stadium will have charging stations and netting so that students can view the game on their cell phones without worry of running out of power and getting hit with a ball??

Dec 6, 2011
Seriously though it looks awesome, I’m stoked that that crummy old house I lived in (on a road that I don’t think exists anymore, was between Knoblock and Duck) gave its life for the track/ballpark.

What’s with the overhang in CF?

bacowboy

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2004
BA
Seriously though it looks awesome, I’m stoked that that crummy old house I lived in (on a road that I don’t think exists anymore, was between Knoblock and Duck) gave its life for the track/ballpark.

What’s with the overhang in CF?
Maybe this?

Has a 360-degree concourse and a glass batter's eye, allowing fans to watch games with a view from behind the pitcher's mound

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
It's gonna be amazingly awesome. But South Carolina and Mississippi State both might argue with us on this topic. But we'll definitely have the best stadium in the Big 12, and it's not even close.
Ours beats Mississippi State because it has fewer racists in it.

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
It's gonna be amazingly awesome. But South Carolina and Mississippi State both might argue with us on this topic. But we'll definitely have the best stadium in the Big 12, and it's not even close.
Ours beats Mississippi State because it has fewer racists in it.
True, very true. But seriously, check this thing out, scheduled to open next year. It has aprtments for rent in left feild. Pavilions where if you buy tickets you get a grill in your section and can basically tailgate. Two grass berms on each foul pole, massive scoreboard, upper deck. They went all out. A good friend of mine played football there and he always talk up their baseball tradition. Other than Will Clark and Palmero I don't see what the big deal is.

https://youtu.be/LVs5lZskS2k

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
True, very true. But seriously, check this thing out, scheduled to open next year. It has aprtments for rent in left feild. Pavilions where if you buy tickets you get a grill in your section and can basically tailgate. Two grass berms on each foul pole, massive scoreboard, upper deck. They went all out. A good friend of mine played football there and he always talk up their baseball tradition. Other than Will Clark and Palmero I don't see what the big deal is.

Where do they hold the klan rallies?

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

So there isn’t any netting to protect the fans. That’s weird.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Another update from Mark Cooper...

“I felt an overwhelming responsibility to Josh Holliday and Rob Walton and Gary Ward and Tom Holliday,” Holder said, citing OSU coaches present and past. “And all the great players, Robin Venturas and Pete Incaviglias and Allie Reynoldses of the world, to get this done. I feel like the administration has done its part now. We’ll get this stadium done, we’ll fund a program at a championship level and then we’ll turn it over to Josh and Rob and the athletes to hang some banners for us.”

The administration’s crowning moment came in the tennis center Thursday, when it unveiled renderings and details for a $60 million baseball stadium that will replace the nearly 40-year-old Allie P. Reynolds Stadium in 2020. Jim Hasenbeck, one of the architects of the facility, briefed the crowd in attendance on its various features -- many of which will make the still-unnamed stadium one of the best and most unique in the sport.

There’s the 360-degree concourse, meant to allow fans to view the game from any vantage point. There’s the distinctive batter’s eye made of a dark glass that won’t cause glare issues but will allow fans to look directly from dead-center field toward home plate. And there are the various amenities inside the clubhouse and indoor facility that should make recruits swoon.
Link

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
This really deserves it's own thread but I was reading the Allie P wiki and found a couple of things I had not heard before.

Henry Iba, coach of the baseball team, first noticed Reynolds when he was practicing his javelin throws. Iba asked Reynolds to throw batting practice while his pitchers recovered from sore arms. Without taking any warmup pitches, he struck out the first four batters without any making contact.

Reynolds was drafted by the New York Giants of the National Football League as a halfback . Since Reynolds preferred baseball to football, and felt he could earn more money playing baseball, Reynolds opted not to sign.