Mad at Gundy threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2006
I always wonder if some people try to hire bad employees for their company so they will stay longer with less threat of someone trying to steal them.
I like your attempt here. The real question is, do these employers fire the best employee in their companies history after a year and a half of average performance?

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I always wonder if some people try to hire bad employees for their company so they will stay longer with less threat of someone trying to steal them.
If you are in management you know that it is far better to have loyal long term employees than to have a revolving door...even if the employees are only average for a year and a half after being outstanding for over a decade.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
There are several major donors who are fed up that weren't before. One of the biggest donors has been fed up for more time than just recently. Whether that leads to a change, who knows, but this notion that what someone's "family' feels, with all due respect to his/her family, is the litmus test for whether Gundy's job is safe or not, is not reality. What will be the tipping point is when the major donors and A.D. decide we can't risk losing more revenue and sinking further towards mediocrity vs. letting this melt down like the basketball program did. Gundy has this public opinion that's not necessarily the same opinion as the guys writing the big checks. It certainly wasn't Boone's opinion although Boone stopped expressing it publicly over the last couple of years to stop the public disccord.
Certainly things have to improve over the next few seasons or his job will be in jeopardy...which would be a crying shame after the decade he had.

Feb 18, 2009
I would really like to have some sports journalist with some cajones get inside with some hard hitting questions to HC Mike Gundy.

It would be beneficial to know if Gundy is over-riding the Coordinators or if our Coordinators are really this bad.

It would be nice to know why Gundy refuses to try to win instead of protecting his fragile ego by not allowing Brown a shot at leading this team after Sanders has proven he needs to step back and sit for awhile until he gets his head back into the game.

I'd like to hear a reporter ask Gundy why he will sit a RB or any other player putting the ball on the ground, but will coddle his precious baby QB even after 12 TOs in 3 losses?!

Inquiring minds want to know.
He wouldn’t even answer those questions, he would go into prick Gundy mode and be a total jerk to the journalist who tried to do it. Then he would run down the fans for even creating a scenario where the journalist had to ask those kind of questions. The guy is no longer grateful for the job, he acts like a politician who is been in Congress way too long and is only worried about their own power not their constituents anymore.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
My biggest issue is he won't change is appears just out of spite and to prove that he is in charge. There is a point the clown show needs to stop, people aren't laughing with you they are laughing at you.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Ask Jenny Carlson. Maybe she’ll write something about Spencer’s mom feeding him fried chicken. Is that what you want? If so, then you’re garbage!
No. You totally missed my point by a couple of light years.
It's not about creating shit out of nothing like Carlson did. That's NOT journalism. She didn't ask any questions -- she merely penned (with the sports editors blessing) a stupid, hateful opinion piece and deserved every form of negative feedback given her.

I'm asking for real questions, Monkey. The kind Gundy needs to be confronted with just like any coach in the nation is when things are going sideways and nothing seemingly is being done to halt it.
All we get from Gundy is, "We coaches have got to do a better job of getting our players ready to play, blah, blah, blah...".

When he says that, a good reporter will follow up with, "Coach, you've been saying that for a couple of years, but what are you actually doing to turn your season around? You mentioned that the two quarterbacks were all even at the beginning of the year, but went with Sanders and the hot hand. Now that Sanders is struggling, when do you think Brown would get a chance to move the team offensively?"

Gundy would probably come back with, "I'm not going to knee jerk a change due to social media pressure. I've got your social media pressure right here.(real fart sound). That's the kind of what we do with pressure -- we release it, then continue doing what we (meaning I, Mike Gundy) feel like doing, which is nothing because I'm a man, I'm over forty, I've got the world's most popular mullet and I've built this city on rock & roll, baby!".

I'll show myself out.

Aug 7, 2006
Coaches aren't really leaving P5 jobs on their own anymore, not with the money every school has now. I mean, Iowa State is paying their coach nearly $4 million a year... The guys coaching at Wake Forest and NC State turned down Tennessee recently. Sure, you'll occasionally have guys leave for better jobs or maybe their alma mater (and weird situations like Holgorsen leaving WVU for Houston), but for the most part coaches are going to stay at the programs that pay them well and show a commitment to having a winning program. We have 100% done that the last several years. Coaches can make $3-4 million a year now without the stress and everything else involved coaching at a program that expects 10+ wins and championships every year. I think that's why you're seeing a lot of coaches staying put in situations they're comfortable.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
The thing a lot of people don't realize, is that when he says "we got out-coached" he is referring to the assistants, not himself.
You are correct. Most all of the actual "coaching" and game prep IS done by the assistants at ANY program. The HC is more of a CEO. You can question his hires. Are you trying to say that MG is directly responsible for the 9 turnovers by our QB in the last 2 games? That one stat has largely cost us both games.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
The thing a lot of people don't realize, is that when he says "we got out-coached" he is referring to the assistants, not himself.
1. Not sure we can really make that assumption with much confidence. I would guess he includes himself in that, which is somewhat noble, but not very helpful in a high-stakes performance-based vocation.
2. Its concerning to me how many times he's said this after games. He makes way too much money to get outcoached as much as he does.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
You are correct. Most all of the actual "coaching" and game prep IS done by the assistants at ANY program. The HC is more of a CEO. You can question his hires. Are you trying to say that MG is directly responsible for the 9 turnovers by our QB in the last 2 games? That one stat has largely cost us both games.
So you're saying he's blaming other people for our losses?

Also......lol if you think Gundy is taking a "CEO" approach on gameday. He's calling the plays on offense right now. Its blatantly obvious. So in my view, he's either calling the plays and THEN blaming his assistants (which seems far-fetched) or he's lumping himself into the assessment that we were outcoached. I believe its the latter. But I also don't find any comfort in that.

Aug 7, 2006
So you're saying he's blaming other people for our losses?

Also......lol if you think Gundy is taking a "CEO" approach on gameday. He's calling the plays on offense right now. Its blatantly obvious. So in my view, he's either calling the plays and THEN blaming his assistants (which seems far-fetched) or he's lumping himself into the assessment that we were outcoached. I believe its the latter. But I also don't find any comfort in that.
I don't think he's calling the actual plays, but he's definitely more involved with the offense than he likes to make everyone think he is.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I like your attempt here. The real question is, do these employers fire the best employee in their companies history after a year and a half of average performance?
I like your attempt as well. Its a fair point. However, I just think that its an apples to oranges comparison. If you're talking about a cashier or an administrative assistant, maybe the analogy holds. But we're talking about a CEO type position for a major corporation. Its a high-stakes, highly paid position, and absolutely should be held to higher standards than your average company employee.

And for clarification - I'm not saying we should fire Gundy. But we absolutely need to know if he's willing to make the necessary changes to improve our program. If he's not, and he's content winning 7-9 games a year, then I say let's look elsewhere for a coach that has the desire to elevate our program.

Apr 7, 2006
Can't remember exactly, but didn't Wickline leave in 2014?
Wickline left in January 2014, Atkins was dismissed in February 2017, Henson left in February 2019.

I'm not suggesting Wickline is the problem - I'm saying that since he left (and the depth ramifications) we've been struggling on the offensive line.

Apr 7, 2006
Thing is, I saw Spencer have a lot of time quite a bit on Saturday. He would over/under throw the targets then. Or the receiver would just plain drop it when it hit their hands. Time isn't the only problem.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Agree - the offensive line wasn't the issue on Saturday. I was making a comment on overall trajectory.

Apr 7, 2006
Wickline left YEARS AGO!!
Thank you. 5 and a half to be exact... :derp:

I'm not suggesting Wickline is the problem - I'm saying that since he left (and the depth ramifications) we've been struggling on the offensive line.

Until the offensive line improves we're going to see inconsistencies in the offensive production - and you're limited by what type of offense you can run - unless you have incredible talent at QB/WR/RB. Inexperienced QBs can look good behind a good line.

Status
Not open for further replies.