Mad at Gundy threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2013
Gundy is one of the best coaches in college football. That said, the Big 12 now has several very good coaches and Gundy is unlikely to win as many games out coaching opponents.

Gundy has had great success when he's had great qbs. Oklahoma State may have a great qb now, but he's just a freshman and fans are going to have to live with his ups and downs.

Like WVU, Iowa State, and kstate, Oklahoma State has an uphill battle getting big uglies compared to their Texas kin who can hit 4 star linemen with a rock from their stadiums' upper deck.

Baylor now has a brand new stadium, a good head coach, and a talent rich state in which to recruit. Ditto the other Texas schools. ISU has a good head coach now, and has beaten WVU head to head for some recruits(and they've beaten other "bigger" schools as well).

I do think Oklahoma State is down right now, but not by much. They played baylor tough until the turnovers.
Most concerning to me, if I was a Cowboy fan, is the state of the oline and dline compared to teams like Iowa State and Baylor. OSU has the edge over most at the skill positions, but games are won and lost in the trenches.

However, if OSU were to lose Gundy right now, with most every other big 12 school trending up, I think the results would be bad on a level you may not think possible..

CaymanS

Greenhorn
Oct 20, 2018
OKC
It is a myth and fear mongering that you can't get a great young guy to come and be a head coach in Stillwater. Hell, you get paid $5M a year, go 9-3 , 8-4, 10-2 and beat ou once in how many years and still pocket $43,000,000 over that time? That's exactly what Gundy has done and with very little pressure from the local media or fans. Who the hell wouldn't want that job? Top 20 salary and you don't have a top 20 recruiting class, get to hire no-name assistants, act like a tool to the media, mock those on social media and the administration all while wearing a mullet talking about smoothies at press conferences. Who wouldn't sign up for that? Leach could come here and tell pirate stories, without the white trash State Fair haircut and do quite well.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Can we end this idiocy or do we have to keep chanting the “winningest coach in school history “ chant to try and rationalize why we didn’t get rid of this clown?
First he IS the winningest coach in OSU history so it happens to be a fact, and second I'm not an "idiot". MG had a 10 win season two years ago, and won 7 games including a good bowl win last year versus an SEC opponent. This year looks dicey and you want to dump him. Things aren't perfect right now, but MG has a long history of success so I am willing to cut him some slack. I manage a department with nearly 100 people, and one of my axioms is "do you want to keep the known you have or roll the dice with an unknown?". Many times the folks you interview look really good until they start work. My opinion at this point with football is keep the known we have.

And watch it with the name calling; you certainly have a right to a different opinion and I'm willing to discuss, but name calling is a sign you have a weak argument. As noted above you might just comment on the existing thread.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Its because, aside from a few diehard kool-aid drinkers, most people are (finally) fed up with Gundy's coaching. People have given him the benefit of the doubt, hoped for the best, and really tried to support him for various reasons, but this game (homecoming, against Baylor) seems to be the straw that broke that camel's back.

I honestly don't know where I stand on the issue. In a Utopian OSU world, Gundy would run the program as a CEO, take a pay cut so we can afford to hire solid coordinators (in all 3 phases), and he would get out of their way and let them do their jobs. Since that world has no chance of existing, it would seem our options are to just shut up and be happy finishing 3rd in the conference or worse until he retires, or bite the bullet and hire someone else that can take it from here. I just think he's too comfortable, not hungry, a terrible game manager, a below average personnel manager, and too egotistical to make any progressive changes.
I don't know more than a few other OSU fans in person that want to get rid of Gundy. Most of the people in my Oklahoma State family understand the history of the program and are pro Gundy. Several think it would be a horrible mistake to fire him and don't even think that's an option any time soon. So your mantra that "most people are (finally) fed up with Gundy's coaching," implying they want him gone...couldn't be further from reality for most of the Oklahoma State people that I know. One can certainly be "fed up" and NOT want him gone as well.

Last edited:

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I love Stillwater and forever so. But we need to be realistic here.. Stillwater is NOT a destination that appeals to 4-5 star recruits..that's a fact. Unfortunately, that will probably remain forever true. It is what it is.

There is something to this, but there are a lot of good high school players from smaller towns in Oklahoma and Texas who feel pretty at home in Stillwater. It may take a little more digging and limit us to some extent, but not every kid wants to be in a big city.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
There are two sides to that coin. Those two programs have tanked in the last decade, even with huge stadiums and good facilities. So let's not act like we're closing the gap between us and Bama or uo.
We have closed the gap a good bit from where the gap was in the 1970's and 80's between us and the blue bloods...problem is, so has nearly everyone else...and Kansas is about too. What we need to do is find a way to inject something new into our system and get us back on track...I don't think that's coaching changes, but it could be down the line.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Top 20 salary and you don't have a top 20 recruiting class, get to hire no-name assistants, act like a tool to the media, mock those on social media and the administration all while wearing a mullet talking about smoothies at press conferences.
And fart sounds. Don't forget the fart sounds.

Sep 21, 2019
Fargo
I don't know more than a few other OSU fans in person that want to get rid of Gundy. Most of the people in my Oklahoma State family understand the history of the program and are pro Gundy. Several think it would be a horrible mistake to fire him and don't even think that's an option any time soon. So your mantra that "most people are (finally) fed up with Gundy's coaching," implying they want him gone...couldn't be further from reality for most of the Oklahoma State people that I know. One can be "fed up" and NOT want him gone as well.
I think your family might be in the minority.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I don't know more than a few other OSU fans in person that want to get rid of Gundy. Most of the people in my Oklahoma State family understand the history of the program and are pro Gundy. Several think it would be a horrible mistake to fire him and don't even think that's an option any time soon. So your mantra that "most people are (finally) fed up with Gundy's coaching," implying they want him gone...couldn't be further from reality for most of the Oklahoma State people that I know. One can be "fed up" and NOT want him gone as well.
Everyone's friend circle is different, so I'm not saying your experience is "wrong", but nearly all of my OSU friends that I still talk with are fed up. This board is not representative of what I'll call "real world" OSU fans.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I would really like to have some sports journalist with some cajones get inside with some hard hitting questions to HC Mike Gundy.

It would be beneficial to know if Gundy is over-riding the Coordinators or if our Coordinators are really this bad.

It would be nice to know why Gundy refuses to try to win instead of protecting his fragile ego by not allowing Brown a shot at leading this team after Sanders has proven he needs to step back and sit for awhile until he gets his head back into the game.

I'd like to hear a reporter ask Gundy why he will sit a RB or any other player putting the ball on the ground, but will coddle his precious baby QB even after 12 TOs in 3 losses?!

Inquiring minds want to know.
Ask Jenny Carlson. Maybe she’ll write something about Spencer’s mom feeding him fried chicken. Is that what you want? If so, then you’re garbage!

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think your family might be in the minority.
I'm not sure how to get a good measure on that...everyone is frustrated with the team right this moment...but most I know think it can be turned around this year at some point...and most know we have some good recruits coming in that may help things at QB.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Everyone's friend circle is different, so I'm not saying your experience is "wrong", but nearly all of my OSU friends that I still talk with are fed up. This board is not representative of what I'll call "real world" OSU fans.
Birds of a feather...

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
We have closed the gap a good bit from where the gap was in the 1970's and 80's between us and the blue bloods...problem is, so has nearly everyone else...and Kansas is about too. What we need to do is find a way to inject something new into our system and get us back on track...I don't think that's coaching changes, but it could be down the line.
So we need to inject something new, but its not coaching changes? What is it? A ribbon board? Schwab dogs? New uniform combinations? More zing and pep?

We need a change in our coaching - either in Gundy making necessary internal changes to his own approach, or in removing him entirely and trying someone else. His current approach will never take us further than a 9-win regular season and losing to uo. It just won't.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So we need to inject something new, but its not coaching changes? What is it? A ribbon board? Schwab dogs? New uniform combinations? More zing and pep?

We need a change in our coaching - either in Gundy making necessary internal changes to his own approach, or in removing him entirely and trying someone else. His current approach will never take us further than a 9-win regular season and losing to uo. It just won't.
9 win seasons are amazing and YES he has in the past elevated us beyond even that...it's a marathon not a sprint and we have to continue to improve our situation...we aren't headed in the right direction right this moment, but that could change. We will have to play this year out and see where we are before ANYTHING will happen regarding coaching shuffles. I'm thinking a QB change would inject something new right now and I honestly think the only reason that didn't happen before was DB's broken fingers...hope they heal fast.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I 100% agree. I’d also add that the “keep Gundy because he will stay here” sentiment is the same crappy “logic” that Gundy uses with assistants. When you hire (or keep) someone that no one else will hire away, you get someone that no one else wants to hire away.
I always wonder if some people try to hire bad employees for their company so they will stay longer with less threat of someone trying to steal them.

CaymanS

Greenhorn
Oct 20, 2018
OKC
There are several major donors who are fed up that weren't before. One of the biggest donors has been fed up for more time than just recently. Whether that leads to a change, who knows, but this notion that what someone's "family' feels, with all due respect to his/her family, is the litmus test for whether Gundy's job is safe or not, is not reality. What will be the tipping point is when the major donors and A.D. decide we can't risk losing more revenue and sinking further towards mediocrity vs. letting this melt down like the basketball program did. Gundy has this public opinion that's not necessarily the same opinion as the guys writing the big checks. It certainly wasn't Boone's opinion although Boone stopped expressing it publicly over the last couple of years to stop the public disccord.

Status
Not open for further replies.