Mad at Gundy threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
In the Big 12 alone we have 4 great examples of coaching changes working out almost immediately. Texas, OU, Baylor, and ISU. I don't buy the "the sky will fall if we fire Gundy". And are you seriously insinuating that we don't have the funding for a top coach? Like others have said, we are clearly able to pay for this level of success judging by Gundy being a top 15 paid coach.

I understand there is a lot of competition for talent, but everyone has to compete. And if we settle into a feeling that "we can't compete with those guys, so why try", we have already committed to mediocrity. This is what Gundy has done, and will be his undoing. And I hope we can wake up soon enough for it not to be the program's undoing as well.
Certainly we have the money and we already have the guy...he's done it twice in his stinking tenure...is it too much to ask to give him a year or two to do it again? Don't swallow the compliancy line hook line and sinker. He's not going anywhere so it's sort of a moot point to argue anyway. We have the #1 rusher in the nation and one of the best WR's...we aren't going to lose the rest of our games...and hopefully we aren't going to miss a bowl...that is what it would take for this to sprout legs...and hopefully none of our fans, sans maybe a couple of haters on this board, wish for that.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I believe everyone would love to see Gundy get it together and stop lollygagging with this program. But he seems to think we're fine.
We're not fine.
I personally don’t give a flip what these guys make as I don’t know how the Return on Investment is calculated. However when I watched Gundy’s presser I was put off by his challenge to fans that we had to trust him and come to games to help the team win on the field and help him recruit. Maybe it just hit me and a raw nerve wrong but isn’t that his job?

CaymanS

Greenhorn
Oct 20, 2018
OKC
That about covers it. I haven't seen you offer a solution yet.....Are you one of those bitcher and complainers Gundy was referring to?
Actually I've been a donor for quite some time and am fed up with beating ou once and only playing for one conf title. The 'solution'? It's plain as day. Just tired of all the excuse-making with why haven't achieved more. I did forget to mention ou and ut have bigger recruiting budgets as another reason we are where we are.

Jun 14, 2011
Dude, tell me someone you could (realisticly) bring to Stillwater and recruit better than that. I mean, sure, you might get a decent coach, in the form of Les Miles, who will stepping stone the hell out of us, but nobody is going to grab top 15 recruiting classes.
I am not getting into the argument about how the team is doing and Gundy's complacency or lack thereof, but I have been thinking about who potentially OSU might realistically look at if they did indeed want to look.

I think it would be a tough one considering his position, but a call to Marcus Arroyo would be warranted. Also, an interview with Casey Dunn should be considered. Maybe Zac Robinson, however, I think he still needs a few years of coaching under his belt before that should seriously considered.

Oct 17, 2003
So your definition of complacency is:

Between 2005 and 2018 we have AVERAGED a third place finish in the Big 12. In other words we have AVERAGED being in the top tier of the league for 13 years. During MG's tenure we have been one of the best teams in the Big 12, period. This included two 1st place, four 2nd place and three 3rd place finishes.

He has the third highest salary in the Big 12 - justified. He has what would be an average salary in the SEC - 5 coaches make more and 2 make about the same - justified again. He has a respectable 2-3 record versus the SEC in bowls and is 4-4 overall versus the SEC.
Quick question: Do you see us repeating any of the accomplishments you’ve mentioned in the next 3-5 years, based on the current state of affairs? If yes, please explain how HCMG will accomplish this......improved recruiting? Better coordinators? HOW? Because we have left those accomplishments in the past and settled for mediocrity because HCMG told us we should.

We used to recruit exceptionally well, execute well and beat better teams, put players in the NFL, change schemes often, and the coaches, ESPECIALLY HCMG were passionate about winning football and their players..is that what we’re seeing now??

3-4 years ago, I actually would’ve believed what HCMG said in his last press conference....

Last edited:

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
In the Big 12 alone we have 4 great examples of coaching changes working out almost immediately. Texas, OU, Baylor, and ISU. I don't buy the "the sky will fall if we fire Gundy". And are you seriously insinuating that we don't have the funding for a top coach? Like others have said, we are clearly able to pay for this level of success judging by Gundy being a top 15 paid coach.

I understand there is a lot of competition for talent, but everyone has to compete. And if we settle into a feeling that "we can't compete with those guys, so why try", we have already committed to mediocrity. This is what Gundy has done, and will be his undoing. And I hope we can wake up soon enough for it not to be the program's undoing as well.
OU and Baylor are good examples. But ISU and Texas are actually examples of the opposite. Those are both programs that fired a successful to fairly successful coach only to have several down years and missing on a couple of bad coaching hires until finally finding someone that works out for them.

CaymanS

Greenhorn
Oct 20, 2018
OKC
Dude, tell me someone you could (realisticly) bring to Stillwater and recruit better than that. I mean, sure, you might get a decent coach, in the form of Les Miles, who will stepping stone the hell out of us, but nobody is going to grab top 15 recruiting classes.
How would you ask that when we are this bad in recruiting rankings? Hell the guy at Appalachian State is an Oklahoma guy. One of the assistants at the 35 schools ahead of us in recruiting might be a place to start.

CaymanS

Greenhorn
Oct 20, 2018
OKC
I personally don’t give a flip what these guys make as I don’t know how the Return on Investment is calculated. However when I watched Gundy’s presser I was put off by his challenge to fans that we had to trust him and come to games to help the team win on the field and help him recruit. Maybe it just hit me and a raw nerve wrong but isn’t that his job?
What blows my mind is how Robert Allen says he polled some no-names mentioned members of the media following that press conference and how none supposedly saw Gundy as fired up like that in many years.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
What blows my mind is how Robert Allen says he polled some no-names mentioned members of the media following that press conference and how none supposedly saw Gundy as fired up like that in many years.
Robert Allen also claimed that our defense under Knowles looked like "TCU on steriods" before the start of last season. Dude is so FOS. People actually pay money for his insight. Just drive down the road and throw dollar bills out the window. It's about the same ROI.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
But we haven't been in trouble with the NCAA, and we have graduated and developed a bunch of great men, and who else are you going to get, and he's the 'winningest coach' in OSU history, recruiting stars and rankings don't mean anything, it's hard to get anyone to come to Stillwater, and we've gone to a bowl xxx times in a row and be careful what you ask for. Have I left off any of the deflective explanations for where we are now ? Rack might want to add a few.
lol, sure...OSU Alumni...Has brought attention to the program...Doesn't take guff off internet posers...fart noises...bowl win record is very good...Indoor practice facility banners...hunts rattlers...landed our current best player on offense and defense from freaking Canada...tells it like it is...more? bottom line, what some see as weaknesses others see as strengths. Yep you gotta win...and if you don't you get a little time and if you still don't...then we can talk.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Quick question: Do you see us repeating any of the accomplishments you’ve mentioned in the next 3-5 years, based on the current state of affairs? If yes, please explain how HCMG will accomplish this......improved recruiting? Better coordinators? HOW? Because we have left those accomplishments in the past and settled for mediocrity because HCMG told us we should.

We used to recruit exceptionally well, execute well and beat better teams, put players in the NFL, change schemes often, and the coaches, ESPECIALLY HCMG were passionate about winning football and their players..is that what we’re seeing now??

3-4 years ago, I actually would’ve believed what HCMG said in his last press conference....
Our problem currently is QB play...take heart, we have an outstanding one coming in next year...of course it remains to be seen and the proof is in the pudding. But, yep, I actually do think things can and will get better, much better.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
How would you ask that when we are this bad in recruiting rankings? Hell the guy at Appalachian State is an Oklahoma guy. One of the assistants at the 35 schools ahead of us in recruiting might be a place to start.
That didn't answer the question at all. What you are inferring is that assistants from any of 35 schools would come in and do a better job of recruiting than Gundy has done. The only brief times that we've had the talent he's brought through Stillwater was immediately follow by a near death penalty and 0-10-1.

Jan 14, 2006
https://youtu.be/nrdV37pv3k0

In case you want to listen to the press conference yourself. I didn't think his quotes sounded unreasonable with context.. but I'm not a butt hurt blogger trying to get clicks.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas

That's a good question, and yes I do.

Our current young QB is having a first year very close to Mason Rudolph's stats his first year. Will he finish as good as Rudolph? I don't know, but I am saying it's not uncommon. We also have a bunch of pups on the D line this year. Take away most, not all of the QB turnovers and have better run stops from the D line next year and we reverse the w/l results from this year.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Our problem currently is QB play...take heart, we have an outstanding one coming in next year...of course it remains to be seen and the proof is in the pudding. But, yep, I actually do think things can and will get better, much better.
And it won't take 3 years. Last season I was on the Gundy is ready to be replaced bandwagon, but then Yurcich moved on and in reality that's what I considered to be the problem. Now we have our second rebuilding year in a row but look at all the 1st year players that look really good, out of place at times for sure but that's what is to be expected. You guys want to replace a hell of a good coach because you have visions of grandeur in what could be when in reality it will probably never be as good as you expect.

Nov 6, 2010
I'll just add one thing about the fan frustration that is probably justified. If last year was a rebuilding year, which is understandable given the fact we lost Mason and all those receivers. However, we had a senior laden defense along with Justice Hill. So I guess that makes this year a rebuilding year also, given defensive youth and a new QB. However, we'll most likely lose our two best playmakers this year and a couple Olinemen with a hundred starts between them. So is next year a rebuilding year too?? Maybe it's just bad timing on all this, but it seems we're having to deal with a lot of rebuilding years, and that goes back to recruiting. And it's not just traditional recruiting, Gundy seems to have a real disdain for the transfer portal, where in the past we've gotten some really good players through transfer. When was the last true transfer we took in (not grad)? Whitener?? We should be shopping for defensive talent on that thing and picking up one or two every year IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.