Mad at Gundy threads merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaymanS

Greenhorn
Oct 20, 2018
OKC
Who would we get if we get rid of Gundy? Other than pressure places like UT ou 2/3 of the SeC , ohio state, Notre Dame, Michigan USC , who wouldn’t want this job? You get 5M a year, only have to beat your instate rival once every 15 years, get to have a State Fair/ Billy Ray Cyrus look, and make it to a fill in the blank bowl or better and you are over-achieving according to a lot of lemmings

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Sorry, couldn’t resist the title. A lot of people have been challenging Gundy’s motivation and saying he doesn’t have the same fire as he did before. Take it for what it’s worth from Robert Allen:

"It's not like I don't get worked up and frustrated too. Okay, I've told you this, I go home and take double ambien, it didn't work and I woke up at 3:17 and I got up and came into work at 3:45 Sunday morning. So it is not like I don't notice or that I don't understand people's frustration, but we also live in a society today where people want to bitch and complain about everything instead of putting their pants on and go fix it.

"We're going to fix it and nobody in this organization down in that West End Zone is going to bitch and complain," added Gundy.

Checking with some of the fellow veteran reporters after the news conference they agreed they hadn't seen Gundy this worked up and energized for a Monday media session in a long time, maybe all the way back to 2014 and Gundy said during the news conference that he truly believes the program is in good shape, better, actually much better than it was in that 2014 season.

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...d-up-Monday-about-his-frustrations-137328674/

Nov 23, 2010
Vermont
Who would we get if we get rid of Gundy? Other than pressure places like UT ou 2/3 of the SeC , ohio state, Notre Dame, Michigan USC , who wouldn’t want this job? You get 5M a year, only have to beat your instate rival once every 15 years, get to have a State Fair/ Billy Ray Cyrus look, and make it to a fill in the blank bowl or better and you are over-achieving according to a lot of lemmings
Maybe
E72CF130-F807-4106-85B8-4F0C405BE1D7.gif

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We are stuck between two realities.

There are the fans my age and older that remember the bumfuzzled days and when Traitor roamed the athletic fields. Most of the people that are ok with Gundy pull out the hallowed halls of O-State and the joy of coming back to Stilly and tell the rest of us about their torturous existence during the bad years while being ecstatic we win at anything. They also fear being goonish.

Then you have the younger fans that want to win. Go find the hot young coach, bring him in and turn him loose. To hell with how we look, let's win.

I'm starting to side with the younger fans. So far Gundy has refused to keep anyone on staff that is a threat, he doesn't work at recruiting, and we are going headlong into Nathan Simmons, The Redux. If the record int 8-4 time forum the talk and a trade offer to Tennessee straight up.
ANY coach who has had the decade we just did would be given the benefit of the doubt for about 3 years minimum at nearly every school, not just OSU, even most blue bloods...if they don't show an upswing in that time they would, more than likely, then and only then, be asked to move on...Add to that an alumni coach who has giving his school the best stretch of football in the history of a University…that coach is likely going to be given more like five years to right the ship...In our case we are in year #2...so if the "younger fans" you describe want a hot young coach rather than..."I'm a man I'm 40" they better pony up the big bucks, otherwise there is almost no way it's going to happen prior to 2023 at the earliest...I'd suspect in our case we will get back to more than respectable prior to 2022 and thus a change will be avoided.
Btw, we don't "fear being goonerish" we are :vomit: by it. Huge difference.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
20 seconds of anger, doesn't fix long term problems.

He should really get off the Ambien, baad shit.
Amen brother, That drug is unpredictable. I once thought it was good, clean sleep aid. The last time I took one in 09, I was in Stillwater, having to drive back to Boulder the next morning. Instead of sleeping, I was wide awake at 0200. Never touched it again.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Amen brother, That drug is unpredictable. I once thought it was good, clean sleep aid. The last time I took one in 09, I was in Stillwater, having to drive back to Boulder the next morning. Instead of sleeping, I was wide awake at 0200. Never touched it again.
In clinical trials, it was only able to produce an extra 18 minutes of sleep per night.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
ANY coach who has had the decade we just did would be given the benefit of the doubt for about 3 years minimum at nearly every school, not just OSU, even most blue bloods...if they don't show an upswing in that time they would, more than likely, then and only then, be asked to move on...Add to that an alumni coach who has giving his school the best stretch of football in the history of a University…that coach is likely going to be given more like five years to right the ship...In our case we are in year #2...so if the "younger fans" you describe want a hot young coach rather than..."I'm a man I'm 40" they better pony up the big bucks, otherwise there is almost no way it's going to happen prior to 2023 at the earliest...I'd suspect in our case we will get back to more than respectable prior to 2022 and thus a change will be avoided.
Btw, we don't "fear being goonerish" we are :vomit: by it. Huge difference.
I am sickened by goonerism, but I am also sickened by complacency. Once a coach gets paid $5,000,000 it ain't about where he went to school or his hair, it's all about the W's. If that's not acceptable he can always demand a reduction in the salary to $100,000 a year and he can stay as long as he wishes.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I am sickened by goonerism, but I am also sickened by complacency. Once a coach gets paid $5,000,000 it ain't about where he went to school or his hair, it's all about the W's. If that's not acceptable he can always demand a reduction in the salary to $100,000 a year and he can stay as long as he wishes.
$5 mill is a lot of money, but let’s Put it in context.
  • It’s literally an AVERAGE salary in the SEC.
  • Mark Stoops is getting more than $4 mill at KENTUCKY.
  • Scott Frost is pulling in $5 mill in his 2nd season at Nebraska
  • Lovie Smith is also making $5 mill at Illinois. No bowl games in his first 3 seasons. Best season has been 4 wins. But I guess he earned it with a win over Wisconsin last weekend?
It’s a lot of money, but let’s not act like it is unrealistic, or that it is enough money to attract a much better coach.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
$5 mill is a lot of money, but let’s Put it in context.
  • It’s literally an AVERAGE salary in the SEC.
  • Mark Stoops is getting more than $4 mill at KENTUCKY.
  • Scott Frost is pulling in $5 mill in his 2nd season at Nebraska
  • Lovie Smith is also making $5 mill at Illinois. No bowl games in his first 3 seasons. Best season has been 4 wins. But I guess he earned it with a win over Wisconsin last weekend?
It’s a lot of money, but let’s not act like it is unrealistic, or that it is enough money to attract a much better coach.
What's Rhule, Campbell and Wells make? I don't think its sweet mullet money.

Apr 7, 2006
Rhules salary is not public so you don't know what he's making. Plus those coaches don't have anywhere close to the same resume and when they do their next contract will be in the ballpark. I think Rhule will be in the NFL in no time.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Rhules salary is not public so you don't know what he's making. Plus those coaches don't have anywhere close to the same we resume and when they do their next contract will be in the ballpark. I think Rhule will be in the NFL in no time.
You're right - not disclosed by Baylor, but Rhule signed a long term contract and he is no fool. Has to be somewhere at least approaching the Gundy range for him to commit long term and I bet the pay escalates over the life of the contract. $5 mil is a relatively average pay for the big conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.