Lucky Shot

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Approx 400yds with a .17hmr head shot. Couldn't do it again if you gave me a box of shells and staked her down. On the bright side I broke her of chasing calf's. 2 tenths of a mile on ATV odometer.

IMG_20170423_202144786.jpg

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Nice! That is stretching the .17 HMR.

Mine is a CZ 453 American (stock photo) and she is a shooter!
I have an Savage A17. I love the semi auto. To tell the truth I bought it figuring I would end up selling it to a friend but have fallen in love with it. Accurate light and versatile as any gun I've ever shot.

The .17 continues to surprise me. It shoots like a lot bigger gun than it is. Want to try something crazy shoot a pig with yours someday. It just drops em.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I have an Savage A17. I love the semi auto. To tell the truth I bought it figuring I would end up selling it to a friend but have fallen in love with it. Accurate light and versatile as any gun I've ever shot.

The .17 continues to surprise me. It shoots like a lot bigger gun than it is. Want to try something crazy shoot a pig with yours someday. It just drops em.
I have shot hogs with the .17 HMR. Put it right behind their ear and they are history. At distances, however, there is less margin for error with the .17 HMR.
Get you a .204 Ruger (mine is a CZ 527 American) to compliment your rifle battery. I have more fun with the .204 than any rifle I have.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
I have shot hogs with the .17 HMR. Put it right behind their ear and they are history. At distances, however, there is less margin for error with the .17 HMR.
Get you a .204 Ruger (mine is a CZ 527 American) to compliment your rifle battery. I have more fun with the .204 than any rifle I have.
I use my .17 as general purpose gun I carry when I'm not hunting. It's light relatively cheap to shoot and surprisingly takes care of business with the nuisance animals you might run across. It will do it at 100yds+ to boot. If I take a break and decide to hunt a squirrel or something it's fine with that also. The versatility of the gun has amazed me.

When you get into bigger rifles weight and cost come into play much more. I love my .243 but it gets damn expensive shooting armadillos and such at $1.25 a pull, not to mention it's a lot heavier than the .17. .22 doesn't cut the mustard if you happen upon a coyote or a pig.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I use my .17 as general purpose gun I carry when I'm not hunting. It's light relatively cheap to shoot and surprisingly takes care of business with the nuisance animals you might run across. It will do it at 100yds+ to boot. If I take a break and decide to hunt a squirrel or something it's fine with that also. The versatility of the gun has amazed me.

When you get into bigger rifles weight and cost come into play much more. I love my .243 but it gets damn expensive shooting armadillos and such at $1.25 a pull, not to mention it's a lot heavier than the .17. .22 doesn't cut the mustard if you happen upon a coyote or a pig.
My .204 is the exact same size, weight, and profile as my .17 HMR. 20" bbl., short length of pull (almost like a Youth-sized rifle) and short overall length make it really convenient for pickup duty - easy to get in and out of windows. Does a much better job on hogs and dogs, and at greater distances with more margin for error.
No knock on the .17 HMR, as I enjoy mine as well.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
My .204 is the exact same size, weight, and profile as my .17 HMR. 20" bbl., short length of pull (almost like a Youth-sized rifle) and short overall length make it really convenient for pickup duty - easy to get in and out of windows. Does a much better job on hogs and dogs, and at greater distances with more margin for error.
No knock on the .17 HMR, as I enjoy mine as well.
.24 cents a pull?

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Uhhhhhhhhhh, no. Almost $1/round, but I will gladly pay that to see the effects! :D
Shooting prairie dogs, I can go through 200-300 rounds/day, but hogs and dogs are never a high volume proposition.
I really like seeing the effect's of my .460. But it's only good to about 75 yards and close to 2 dollars a pull. Tough to hold a pistol still enough to get much beyond that. But what it does to Armadillos is film worthy.

Ever explode watermelons with a rifle, yeah it's that good. Coyotes, if you wanted them field dressed it does it on the spot. Nasty little gun. I wish they would make a lever/bolt action that shoots that round.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK