Lincoln Riley " We have to recruit better"

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Just a quick question, and I'm not tying to make a point one way or another. I would just like an answer from someone who would know. So sooner fans on here feel free to answer this question too. Is Lincoln Riley personally involved in the recruiting process with defensive players?
He is the closer. He gets involved in every single recruit and closes them out. Stoops was pretty hands off, he was the closer too but Riley seems to be a lot better at it and has a more direct approach. It's definitely working

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I picked the wrong day to quit drinking. OU needs to recruit better?!? I think they need to get better at coaching and developing the plethora of 4* defensive players they get every year.
I think what he means is that while D recruiting hasnt been bad, it's nowhere near what it needs to be if they want to win championships. It's good enough to win the big 12 and some bowl games but not good enough to go winning it all. In the past the 5 stars would skip OU, but now they are giving OU official visits and even committing. Go look at the clemson, alabama, ohio state, georgia even, look at who they have on defense and compare that to the next tier of teams defenses. Now OU is getting those guys who bama, clemson and ohio state had been keeping from the rest of us. There's a difference in getting a fringe 4 star to pick you over kentucky , missouri texas tech and that 5 star stud, a Dax Hill type who has offers from every blue blood in the country...now that's difference making.

osuwhit

Cutting the grass and listening to Van Halen rap.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
Explain to me why the scale is different.
AD:HC > HC: DC

Holder also made his comments out of left field on a blogger's, one who hasn't been very respected at OSU, talk show. Riley was talking football at media day.

Holder said Gundy had the budget after Gundy had said there wasn't much of budget for recruiting. He basically called Gundy a liar. Riley only implied Stoops needs to recruit better.

It's a different scale, but at the same time, I agree with you. The Oklahoma media should jump on this and get a good story line. Lets see Mike get riled up or keep his cool and answer well to Riley's comment.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
He is the closer. He gets involved in every single recruit and closes them out. Stoops was pretty hands off, he was the closer too but Riley seems to be a lot better at it and has a more direct approach. It's definitely working[/QUOTE

Anyone here know if Gundy's does the same thing? I was always under the impression that Gundy is not actively involved in the defensive recruiting process. Am I wrong?

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I think what he means is that while D recruiting hasnt been bad, it's nowhere near what it needs to be if they want to win championships. It's good enough to win the big 12 and some bowl games but not good enough to go winning it all. In the past the 5 stars would skip OU, but now they are giving OU official visits and even committing. Go look at the clemson, alabama, ohio state, georgia even, look at who they have on defense and compare that to the next tier of teams defenses. Now OU is getting those guys who bama, clemson and ohio state had been keeping from the rest of us. There's a difference in getting a fringe 4 star to pick you over kentucky , missouri texas tech and that 5 star stud, a Dax Hill type who has offers from every blue blood in the country...now that's difference making.
I guess I don't understand. In 2016 ou had six recruits in the top 300 that were defensive players and one was a 5*. In 2017 ou had seven top 300 players on the defensive side.

In 2016 Georgia had 4 top 300 commits on the defensive side and in 2017 they had 8 with one 5* guy.

I think ou recruits equally as well on both sides of the ball but schemes and develops players better on the offensive side of the ball. Mike S. and company are good at doing less with more.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I guess I don't understand. In 2016 ou had six recruits in the top 300 that were defensive players and one was a 5*. In 2017 ou had seven top 300 players on the defensive side.

In 2016 Georgia had 4 top 300 commits on the defensive side and in 2017 they had 8 with one 5* guy.

I think ou recruits equally as well on both sides of the ball but schemes and develops players better on the offensive side of the ball. Mike S. and company are good at doing less with more.
You’re one of the very few who would say they recruit equally well on both sides. IMO, and I follow recruiting pretty closely, it’s far and away better now than it was just 5 years ago even. Just the kind of recruits they get on campus now normally never even looked at them as recently as a few years ago. Best DL and best DB class in the last 20 years In back to back years says a lot about where they are now compared to the last 10. Riley was 100% spot on about it. As I said look who Alabama, Clemson and Ohio state get on D and compare that to Ou. The top tier guys who are a cut above the rest are huge difference makers and OU has lacked that since I mean hell since the early 2000s

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
You’re one of the very few who would say they recruit equally well on both sides. IMO, and I follow recruiting pretty closely, it’s far and away better now than it was just 5 years ago even. Just the kind of recruits they get on campus now normally never even looked at them as recently as a few years ago. Best DL and best DB class in the last 20 years In back to back years says a lot about where they are now compared to the last 10. Riley was 100% spot on about it. As I said look who Alabama, Clemson and Ohio state get on D and compare that to Ou. The top tier guys who are a cut above the rest are huge difference makers and OU has lacked that since I mean hell since the early 2000s
Really they just need on or two difference makers on the DL.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
That would be huge, they havent had that in a very long time. Used to be pretty consistent in the early 00s. A good DL masks other deficiencies in the defense

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I think people are being too hard on the OP. When these types of statements come out of the OSU Camp they get cranked up into some kind of controversy by the Tulsa and/or OKC media and the OSU fans & athletic department get put on the defensive. When these types of things come out of the OU Camp they get downplayed or ignored. He’s also right in that someone from the TW wanted to interject themselves and dispute that line of thinking until OP put them on the spot and the TW poster deflected and ran.

However, I totally agree that OSU fans shouldn’t waste their time expecting fair or equal treatment from these local media outlets. The only way that will ever happen is if OSU starts ripping off NC’s and becomes the clear top program in the state. Absent of that, they will always get the tougher treatment so it’s no use getting worked up over it.

Rixaroo

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
www.weekendwatchguide.com
Go ahead, I'm anxious for your response. Please tell me how it's different. Superior calls out subordinate. Using the exact same words! Please oh please tell me specifically how it's different. Please share your brilliant mind with us. Paleeese
Have you just started following OSU sports? Gundy and Holder have been at each other for years. Gundy threatened twice to leave. That's why the Holder comments drew headlines nationwide - not just in Oklahoma.
Riley's mantra since he took the job was that they needed to recruit better. He's completely revamped the program's recruiting strategy. It's like the tenth time he's said this. And those in the know (the media, and obviously not you) recognize this want a shot at Mike Stoops.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2010
Tampa, FL
TW started it but couldn’t finish.
lol no... that is not what happened :facepalm:... you started a thread calling them out, they responded by providing the article you were referring to as context and you continued to attack them (with a litany of misspelled and made up words (spiciously?), misused capitalization, and overall poor grammar).

The last part of that isn't as important - I get it... message board and whatnot. But, still, for future reference, the red underline beneath a word means it is spelled incorrectly (or, just doesn't exist).

Furthermore, the TW poster then provided sources and the contact information for the writers and editors involved in what you theorize to be the "gooner media".

They gave you a platform to voice your grievances directly to the source, but you continue to kick and scream on a message board and argue with anyone who disagrees with you.

Seems like they sure did finish it.

But, that is just my opinion. What do I know? I'm just a pickle... (when I feel like it)

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
On the highway to heck
You engaged earlier, but when the tough question hit, you tucked tail.
You're a total a$$hole. We're lucky to have a TW writer offer his time to help keep us informed of the goings on in our state. Obviously you're to dense to understand what's being said to you so why don't you do everyone a favor and stfu. Just sayin.

I don't usually post on this thread but your sphincter game is off the chart.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
TW started it but couldn’t finish.
TW quoted something and you incorrectly accused them of leaving out a word and being bias which neither are accurate. You then proceeded to start a a bicker fest on this false notion.....but as per most in here, you obv have blind eyes of anything you perceive negative toward OSU. However, what they quoted was direct from LR media day presser and you are talking about something different, thus, being off base on your accusation to the TW making all your posts look like a comedy show.

Edit....I see someone already pointed this out.

But seriously. What’s the difference in the meaning between we need to recruit and we need to recruit better? They are essentially the exact same sentiment.

Last edited: