Lincoln Riley " We have to recruit better"

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 28, 2006
Crickets...... When asked about defensive concerns yesterday on ESPN, Lincoln Log Riley says, " We have to recruit better", callin out Mike Stoops. The sports animal cut the quote short " We have to recruit" going on to say he felt like they had done that. The totally leave Mike Stoops out of the conversation acting like it has nothing to do with him at all. Mike Stoops name is not even mentioned. Going out of their way to spin it softly and change what he said all together. Now all of a sudden the same words with a superior calling out a subordinate and it's a non story. The Holder Gundy storyline was regurgitated for a month and still lives. Nope, no media agenda. Tinfoil hat my ass.

Folks, the media in this state has been weaponized against OSU. If you can't see that now, you are just plain stupid.

Oct 30, 2007
I don't care if the SA downplayed it. I'm just jealous OU has a coach with the stones to say that they have to recruit better players on defense.

Jul 28, 2006
I don't care if the SA downplayed it. I'm just jealous OU has a coach with the stones to say that they have to recruit better players on defense.
Every coach says that. Good Lord. Nice spin. Why can't we be glad an AD has the stones to say it. BTW, you are outed as a gooner with that response.

Oct 30, 2007
Every coach says that. Good Lord. Nice spin. Why can't we be glad an AD has the stones to say it. BTW, you are outed as a gooner with that response.
When was the last time you heard Coach Gundy say that they aren't talented enough on defense and they need to recruit better players? When was the last time you heard him say this program has fallen short due to their failures in recruiting on the defensive side of the ball? Because all I've heard is excuse after excuse.

Early on during the Gundy era we structured our defense around turnovers because we knew we weren't talented enough to line up and stop people. Our last DC even made up a stat based off points per possession to try to justify how bad we were. We gave up the most yards ever in a regulation game last season in the bedlam game. We're 12 years into the Gundy era and we still aren't talented enough to line up and stop people.

If you disagree with my post that's fine, but don't call me a sooner. I'll always bleed orange and black. That was uncalled for.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Since you all brought it up, here's our article on the subject:

Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley understands the importance of a group led by defensive coordinator Mike Stoops. The roster is being reset with younger players on that side of the football.

“We gotta recruit. We feel like we’re in the process of making a pretty good move there,” Riley said. “That’s the first thing that I’ve seen is our talent levels needed to increase and I think we’re on the way to doing that. I feel like some of our best talent defensively right now is from our freshmen and sophomore classes. We are probably only going to play with maybe one, maybe two seniors this year, which is alarming in some ways. But it also I think shows you we’ve been on a nice run recruiting over the last couple of years.”

In the same breath, the second-year head coach is quick to say the current roster has “good players, don’t get me wrong. But our talent level has not been the same as some of the other defenses in the country.”

“We’ve had some great moments defensively, but we’ve got to play like that more often,” Riley said. “We’re building. I know that’s something in this period of time having this entire off-season as the head coach as opposed to last year I felt like I’ve been able to do my job better on that front, because I’m the one that’s ultimately responsible for it.”

“I feel great about our staff going in. I love our talent. Even though it’s young, we’re going to have to grow up in a hurry. But I don’t think we’re far off from being the kind of defense that we want to be.”
Link

Oct 30, 2007
BTW, This is my response to Holder's comment from the thread a few weeks ago:
I didn't hear the podcast, but I agree with what Coach Holder said. He built Karsten Creek and used it to attract some of the best golf recruits in the world to Stillwater, Oklahoma. He used those recruits to win 25 conference championships and 8 national championships. He didn't accept good, he always strove for greatness. He's walked the path he wants Coach Gundy to walk.

Labron Harris laid a great foundation for Coach Holder to follow in. Coach Gundy had a lot further to go to make us an elite football program. We've come a long way, but Holder doesn't want Gundy to rest on his laurels and become complacent with being good. I respect that.

We've always found elite offensive skill players under Coach Gundy regardless of recruiting stars, but we've never recruited the talent level on defense required to be an elite football program. We're going to have to recruit at a higher level to become an elite program capable of winning a national championship. You can't do that without a balanced roster full of NFL talent on both sides of the ball.

Jul 28, 2006
Since you all brought it up, here's our article on the subject:

Link
Thanks for supporting my post. Your quote of "we have to recruit" is shortened by one word mysteriously. He said, "we have to recruit better" spiciously your quote is the same as what the Sports animal offered. It's almost as if you all have the same talking points....duh. Oddly, you don't compare the situation to the Holder Gundy situation. My point exactly. You are the gooner media.

BTW, interesting the tulsa world trolling our board and responding within seconds of the post. Since you’re here, can you tell me why Holder saying “we need to recruit better” is calling out Gundy but Riley saying “we need to recruit better” when asked specifically about defense, isn’t calling out Mike Stoops??

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
A quick look at their last 3 or 4 classes show them all loaded with 4 star recruits on the defensive side of the ball. I think what Riley should have said is "we have to evaluate recruits better" or "we have to develop recruits better".

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Banned
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Thanks for supporting my post. Your quote of "we have to recruit" is shortened by one word mysteriously. He said, "we have to recruit better" spiciously your quote is the same as what the Sports animal offered. It's almost as if you all have the same talking points....duh. Oddly, you don't compare the situation to the Holder Gundy situation. My point exactly. You are the gooner media.

BTW, interesting the tulsa world trolling our board and responding within seconds of the post.
Brother you need to chill.

Jul 28, 2006
You are... but calling everybody that might disagree with you, or that is just pointing out the information that they have, a sooner is a bit much.
Just one guy not everybody. There is nothing to disagree with here. It is exactly the same situation and the media chose to report on it in a completely different manner. It's not debatable. The Tulsa World knows their pinned down on this with their ghost to my question. The media is weaponized against our program. More people should point this out and hold their feet to the fire. Everything is harder when public opinion is constantly hammered into form. Why can't they serve both markets without malice?

Jul 28, 2006
A quick look at their last 3 or 4 classes show them all loaded with 4 star recruits on the defensive side of the ball. I think what Riley should have said is "we have to evaluate recruits better" or "we have to develop recruits better".
What he should have said and what he did say are two different things. Not to mention, the results on defense don't match up with the recruiting rankings.