LGBT clergy are threatening to divide the United Methodist Church

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Oh, there is a ton of articles out there so i'll admit i perused this one and posted it at random so if I missed some controversial slant beyond just the facts forgive me.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Everyone involved with the UMC will have a decision to make for themselves irrespective of the position of the General Conference. Free will, not forced will. People who are unhappy with what happens can find a place of worship that more closely reflects their core beliefs. Simple.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Hate to say it, but lately the UMC and PCUSA have adopted doctrinal standards that are lifted right off the DNC platform.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Hate to say it, but lately the UMC and PCUSA have adopted doctrinal standards that are lifted right off the DNC platform.
This issue has destroyed the Presbyterian Church USA. Since they made the move to the “One Church” plan they have lost 40% of their total membership. Acceptance is not enough for the LGBTQ community, they insist on endorsement and promotion. A similar loss of membership has happened to the Lutheran denomination for the same issue and sadly it’s getting ready to happen to the Methodist denomination. As soon as a denomination decides to pick and choose which parts of scripture to believe or which parts to ignore they might as well switch to being Unitarians because that’s the pick your own belief moral relativism they are adopting.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
This issue has destroyed the Presbyterian Church USA. Since they made the move to the “One Church” plan they have lost 40% of their total membership. Acceptance is not enough for the LGBTQ community, they insist on endorsement and promotion. A similar loss of membership has happened to the Lutheran denomination for the same issue and sadly it’s getting ready to happen to the Methodist denomination. As soon as a denomination decides to pick and choose which parts of scripture to believe or which parts to ignore they might as well switch to being Unitarians because that’s the pick your own belief moral relativism they are adopting.
Yeah my buddy and his wife bolted a PCUSA congregation simultaneously with about 85 other congregants of about 700 during one particular doctrinal blowup.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I don't see the Methodists as having a serious issue over gays, if they still treat members the same as everybody else after they divorce and remarry, unless they see homosexuality as an even worse sin before God than adultery. But God saw both sins as equal in severity, since both were worthy of DEATH.

Of course, if Methodists don't worry about adulterers, including letting them teach Sunday school as usual, of course, they have no complaints about the church, unlike the gays. Gays want to be treated the same as adulterers.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2011
I don't see the Methodists as having a serious issue over gays, if they still treat members the same as everybody else after they divorce and remarry, unless they see homosexuality as an even worse sin before God than adultery. But God saw both sins as equal in severity, since both were worthy of DEATH.

Of course, if Methodists don't worry about adulterers, including letting them teach Sunday school as usual, of course, they have no complaints about the church, unlike the gays. Gays want to be treated the same as adulterers.
Apples, oranges.

If someone was openly adulterous, out and proud about their adultery, they would not be allowed to teach Sunday school.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Apples, oranges.

If someone was openly adulterous, out and proud about their adultery, they would not be allowed to teach Sunday school.
And there are grounds for divorce that allow remarry.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Which Lutheran denomination?

I'm assuming ELCA, which has always been fairly liberal. Probably more liberal than any Presbyterian or Methodist denomination.

But Missouri Synod... nope. Have never had LGBT clergy, nor performed/recognized homosexual marriage.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I’m not religious but it appears to me that these types of movements into established churches are an effort to destroy Christianity in this country. Why would anyone want to be part of a religion whose teachings say what they identify most with is immoral? And the answer is, they wouldn’t. So therefore they have ulterior motives.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I’m not religious but it appears to me that these types of movements into established churches are an effort to destroy Christianity in this country. Why would anyone want to be part of a religion whose teachings say what they identify most with is immoral? And the answer is, they wouldn’t. So therefore they have ulterior motives.
I would say that access to information and the free movement of ideas is destroying Christianity.

Churches and religion has historically ruled and kept control by limiting the access to information, embracing mob mentality and shutting down views in contradictory to their teachings and history.

People are just tired of the hypocrisy of organized religion and things like the internet, TV and social media are finally pointing these things out.

There are plenty of people who believe in the love and compassion of Christ, but organized religion 'complex interpretations' of this 'simple message' is starting to piss a lot of people off.

Money is going to be the biggest changer of organized religion. Whoever has the most money will win.

Dec 6, 2013
Everyone involved with the UMC will have a decision to make for themselves irrespective of the position of the General Conference. Free will, not forced will. People who are unhappy with what happens can find a place of worship that more closely reflects their core beliefs. Simple.
It's anything but simple. Church members have invested tens of thousands of dollars into buildings and programs over the years. If their church leaves, or if they leave, they will likely have to start over and raise funds all over again. Many EPC churches (notably Kirk of the Hills Tulsa) have gone thru this exact scenario in recent years.

Jul 20, 2018
I would say that access to information and the free movement of ideas is destroying Christianity.

Churches and religion has historically ruled and kept control by limiting the access to information, embracing mob mentality and shutting down views in contradictory to their teachings and history.

People are just tired of the hypocrisy of organized religion and things like the internet, TV and social media are finally pointing these things out.

There are plenty of people who believe in the love and compassion of Christ, but organized religion 'complex interpretations' of this 'simple message' is starting to piss a lot of people off.

Money is going to be the biggest changer of organized religion. Whoever has the most money will win.
I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Information has been free flowing for decades. Thousands of books have been written on the teachings of the bible. It's been debated over and over again. There's really nothing new out there other than liberal wack jobs infiltrating organized religions and trying to destroy them. The religious leaders are trying to appear inclusive and appease these psychotics is what's causing the divide. Religions are, by definition, exclusive. They should remain that way.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
For those interested you can follow the GC on Twitter with this hashtag #GC2019
They will take up the One church plan this afternoon.

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Information has been free flowing for decades. Thousands of books have been written on the teachings of the bible. It's been debated over and over again. There's really nothing new out there other than liberal wack jobs infiltrating organized religions and trying to destroy them. The religious leaders are trying to appear inclusive and appease these psychotics is what's causing the divide. Religions are, by definition, exclusive. They should remain that way.
Not at speed it is running at today. For example, i guarantee the problems of the Catholic Church weren't limited to the 90's through today but only got significant media coverage in the last 10-20 years.

I think you nailed it right there... 'trying' to appear inclusive and 'actually' being inclusive are two different things. That is why that failed, you can only fake stuff for so long.

The fact that your so-called liberal wack jobs were able to infiltrate and now destroy organized religions which have been institutions for centuries and millennia just proves that they were all houses of card' to begin with.