Let's put away the torches and pitchforks!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 5, 2007
Kind of ironic that a post about putting away the pitchforks and the torches.... brings out more pitchforks and torches. This place has become a bitch fest.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
I hate golf. The analogy is accurate unfortunately.
I want to see a team that is constantly striving for Big 12 championships, beating OU 4 out of 5 years, and making the final four and beating Alabama.
We're not doing that right now. and haven't for quite some time. I'm ready for a torch and a pitchfork and run a few people out of town.
haven't done it for quite some time? more like never done it................... put the pipe down

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Kind of ironic that a post about putting away the pitchforks and the torches.... brings out more pitchforks and torches. This place has become a bitch fest.
it's the fringe lunatic portion of the fan base.......... the message board effect. there's a few of us here that have a brain, and can put together rational thoughts w/o claiming end of the world is near, but i'm beginning to think we are outnumbered.........

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
It's not that we haven't done those things in quite some time. We've never done any of the things you mentioned on a repeat basis and I don't know of any 5 year period with four bedlam wins. That's fine if that's your standard, but you should know that even with Gundy unquestionably improving the program, you're asking for further improvement to something we've never done and only a handful of schools ever have (dominance over your rival, consistent conference championships, and regular national title appearances or the pre BCS equivalent).
At this point I think all we're asking for is for him to NOT turn the program into the Hindenburg.

NotOnTV

Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
it's the fringe lunatic portion of the fan base.......... the message board effect. there's a few of us here that have a brain, and can put together rational thoughts w/o claiming end of the world is near, but i'm beginning to think we are outnumbered.........
Give me a frickin' break...

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I personally disagree with the premise. I don’t think anyone expected a 10+ win regular season. But at the same time I think the coaching staff deserves heat for dropping two consecutive total duds at home against teams you should beat. I think the fanbase should keep it classy. No need to boo players or blow anything out of proportion, but voicing your opinion that what we saw against TT & ISU won’t cut it is perfectly acceptable. If you want to be a big time program you have to keep lofty expectations. Just accepting that a 4-8 season is ok because you lost some guys to the NFL is a mistake. I personally think this is 7 or 8 win talent in this conference but now losing two games you should have won puts you in a tight spot to get into a bowl game (which I think is absolutely a must with this program barring something bizarre happening).

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
haven't done it for quite some time? more like never done it................... put the pipe down
You almost beat me to it. I'd add that extremely few programs have ever met the criteria he laid out and even fewer meet those criteria across multiple eras. Alabama, Nebraska, and OU are the only ones I can think of who have done all of those things more than once. I'm sure I'm missing someone (excluding the ancient Ivy league dynasties), but not many. Florida State maybe?

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
It's all goo bro, no problems here being near the bottom of the Big 12 and competing for 3rd every 5 years or so. It's all good, no need to set any lofty expectations. I'm sure Boone is cool with it too, I mean a billion dollars or whatever for a couple of mid tier bowls, had to be what he was thinking. Five million to a coach rolling around with a mullet talking about shooting turtles and vodka smoothies....its all good. Nobody seems to care much, it's ALL GOOD. We got $8.00 beers and a big screen now, we have no right to complain. ITS ALL GOOD. So if you don't mind passing some of that orange flavored moonshine over my way I would much appreciate it.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
It's all goo bro, no problems here being near the bottom of the Big 12 and competing for 3rd every 5 years or so. It's all good, no need to set any lofty expectations. I'm sure Boone is cool with it too, I mean a billion dollars or whatever for a couple of mid tier bowls, had to be what he was thinking. Five million to a coach rolling around with a mullet talking about shooting turtles and vodka smoothies....its all good. Nobody seems to care much, it's ALL GOOD. We got $8.00 beers and a big screen now, we have no right to complain. ITS ALL GOOD. So if you don't mind passing some of that orange flavored moonshine over my way I would much appreciate it.
thanks for proving my point..........

Aug 16, 2012
again, conjecture and speculation......... you state an opinion as fact, when in reality, you have no idea what players OSU is in on, or courting, or the ins and outs of getting any of them to come to stillwater...... and you especially don't know his thought process or "what he tells himself"............
Patently false. Gundy is ON RECORD stating it is futile to battle the big boys for prime recruits so they focus elsewhere. Hopefully someone with access to an archive can come up with the exact date and quote, but it is there. He has said it.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
It's not that we haven't done those things in quite some time. We've never done any of the things you mentioned on a repeat basis and I don't know of any 5 year period with four bedlam wins. That's fine if that's your standard, but you should know that even with Gundy unquestionably improving the program, you're asking for further improvement to something we've never done and only a handful of schools ever have (dominance over your rival, consistent conference championships, and regular national title appearances or the pre BCS equivalent).
Specifically in terms of beating your in-state rival, wouldn't it be nice if we were even at 50%? Win one, lose one, etc.? We're not even at that. After 13 years of Gundy, we should be at that. But he is 2-11, most likely 2-12 after this season, against them.

I'm sick of OU people, every year, saying "AND THEY CALL THIS A RIVALRY HAR HAR HAR". And they're absolutely correct, it's not a rivalry. That suggests there is some bit of equivalence there. But there's not. I remember, after 2011's ass-beating, how confident I was that Gundy had finally turned that corner, and finally had established the mindset necessary to beat OU *consistently*. Boy, was I so wrong.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Holder may have a real crisis on his hands soon. All of the ROI on the improvements in the stadium and other facilities are predicated on continued success of the program and in my opinion winning at least nine games year-in and year-out.

It is depressing for a fan to spend a ton of money on season tickets, transportation, stadium food and drinks, only to have to sit through a series of home games in shock and bewilderment at the product on the field. People won't put up with it for long.
well that's pretty much what we have done...won 9 or 10 nearly every year...might not this year, but it's too soon to know 100% for sure. Certainly doesn't look like it now, but it's not to late to salvage a good season out of this.

NotOnTV

Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
well that's pretty much what we have done...won 9 or 10 nearly every year...might not this year, but it's too soon to know 100% for sure. Certainly doesn't look like it now, but it's not to late to salvage a good season out of this.
2014, which albeit ended very well.