Les To KU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Given KU has some good defensive pieces, and that's Les's bread and butter, I can see KU being a very annoying team for the first few years under Les. Offensively, though, if it's typical "just enough" offense, we should be able to hold them off. But I am definitely worried about the potential for their defense to improve drastically.
Miles's bread and butter is defense? who knew?

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Based on his press conference, Les Miles is going to fill the roster with honey badger-like talent for the first couple of years, and run the 4-7 defense. Based on his comments, expect the offense to be a balanced attack to control the clock. Les Miles is not coming in expecting to adapt to the spread offense, he is planning to dominate it into submission.
And that, exactly, is what I'm afraid of.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I know, right Cro? There's, like, absolutely no sports information from his tenure at LSU that you could use that little noggin of yours to look up.
Well, except that he was an offensive coordinator here, then tight end coach at Dallas, then Head coach.

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
I know, right Cro? There's, like, absolutely no sports information from his tenure at LSU that you could use that little noggin of yours to look up.
well, considering he was an O-lineman in college, a O-line coach (in college and the NFL) and offensive coordinator for several years, before becoming a HC, I would lean to the offensive side of the ball as being his "bread and butter"......... but don't let the facts get in the way. and all those facts are off the top of my "little noggin"

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
well, considering he was an O-lineman in college, a O-line coach (in college and the NFL) and offensive coordinator for several years, before becoming a HC, I would lean to the offensive side of the ball as being his "bread and butter"......... but don't let the facts get in the way. and all those facts are off the top of my "little noggin"
I’m pretty sure he let his DC take care of the defense, just like Gundy does.

Mar 31, 2011
I think this is a great hire for KU, and good for the B12!

I really liked Beaty and I hope he is able to find success somewhere, but Les is big time. I think Les will be a great fit for them and honestly, i'll be cheering for them unless they're playing OSU! It seems like Les consistently had great teams at LSU, but almost never had a decent QB...so it will be interesting to see how that shakes out in the B12.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I think this is a great hire for KU, and good for the B12!

I really liked Beaty and I hope he is able to find success somewhere, but Les is big time. I think Les will be a great fit for them and honestly, i'll be cheering for them unless they're playing OSU! It seems like Les consistently had great teams at LSU, but almost never had a decent QB...so it will be interesting to see how that shakes out in the B12.
I think everyone knows this is just another stepping stone for Lester. He is going to show some of the major programs that he can have a team with good offense and then jump ship to like a Tennessee or Arkansas or something.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
This conference is dramatically different than the last time Miles was in it. He better lose that stubbornness when it comes to his offense. Mike Stoops would be the first one to tell you that when he came back to OU. Miles won’t survive in this conference if he thinks he doesn’t need a modern day offense.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
He seems a bit punchy, but maybe that's just Les. I hope he's 100% ok, he does look good and I wish him nothing but success. I'm hoping he's not having football hitting effects on his mind. He's a great coach/man and he helped to lift us to another level in football. KU's a tough football job but it sounds like they are going to put money into the facilities and that setting @KU has the potential with a major donor to have a heck of a cool facility if they build it right. I wish him nothing but great success except when playing Oklahoma State.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I think everyone knows this is just another stepping stone for Lester. He is going to show some of the major programs that he can have a team with good offense and then jump ship to like a Tennessee or Arkansas or something.
His name is Leslie, not Lester.
Leslie Edwin Miles (born November 10, 1953) is an American football coach and former player. He will be the head football coach at the University of Kansas following the conclusion of the 2018 season.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
This should be interesting. Probably not the last coaching change in the Big 12 for this year. I expect Campbell to get hired away from ISU and for Coach Bro to be sent packing. The big question is, does the Purple Wizard come back for another year? I know he has a contract through 2022, but I think there is a good chance he's done this year, and all but the slimmest margin he's there for more than 2 years.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Guerin Emig...

Hard to believe it’s been 14 years since those strange days in San Antonio, with Miles running a shell game with reporters, OSU administrators and OSU coaches over his interest in LSU.

“We laugh about it now,” Gundy said Tuesday after the Cowboys’ Liberty Bowl practice.

Gundy laughs a lot about Miles, the man who hired him off the Maryland staff to be OSU offensive coordinator in ’01. All of that tension from San Antonio, all of that variance over game planning — Gundy: “He’d tell me what he thought was good, I’d tell him what I thought was good, he would convince me why I was wrong and I would convince him why he was wrong... then we’d pretty much do what he wanted because he was the head coach” — has softened with time.

As Gundy put it Tuesday: “Just a different way of doing it. But he and I had a great working relationship. He trusted me, I trusted him. I’d call them (plays) during the game and we’d roll with it until it got inside the 5.”

Aug 26, 2004
Kansas will be better with Coach Miles. No doubt. He knows how to coach. He will find good recruits that want to turn a program around and get attention. Expect a highly touted QB out of no where to be there soon.

Oct 12, 2006
We can't discredit Les yet the way were playing. Hate to say it but we may fight for the celler with the new blood coming in to coach in the little 12. If we don't put a totally new D on the field that can honestly play next I'm afraid we're in for a 2018 repeat.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
When Les was the head coach we were still playing on Lewis Field in Rustoleaum stadium and he put together some good teams. I don't blame him for leaving now, although I wasn't happy about it then. I hope he makes Kansas relevant and the get to go to Michigan to retire after they fire Harbaugh.