Leftists exploit horrific tragedy to advance social justice agenda

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Ummm...I really don't see what's wrong with her response there. Again, you all are engaging in the same behavior you accuse others of doing.
Of course you don't, you would never see anything wrong with comments from a lefty race baiter. I'm just engaging in posting what one of your racist brethren said. Never let facts interfere with a good opportunity to play the race card. This idiot just got caught up in her own anxiousness to nail whitey.

Mar 11, 2006
Btw
Ummm...I really don't see what's wrong with her response there. Again, you all are engaging in the same behavior you accuse others of doing.
WTH? You don’t find making the murder of an innocent 7 year old into a fake race issue a problem?

No one on here is altering facts to push an activist political agenda.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
make a mountain out of a molehill
This is what the media and democrat politicians do every single time there is even a hint of racial undertones. Even if the initial witness said the shooter was white, there was zero indication whatsoever that it was a hate crime or racially motivated. But the left in this country just can't wait to ramp up the identity politics and race baiting to 11.....sometimes it seems they are almost giddy when they think they have the perfect story to do it. If the shooter had turned out to be white, this story would still be going full speed ahead in the media and all of the usual racial divisiveness would be spewing like a geyser, still with zero knowledge of the actual motivation behind the crime.

Jul 7, 2004
How many blacks are killed each month in places like Chicago and Baltimore by blacks and no big deal from the left but let a cop shoot one black and all hell breaks loose. This is why Its hard to take people on the left serious.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
It was a "race thing" because the only suspect at the time was a *white guy* in a red Chevy S10, who sped away from the scene instead of possibly call the cops, because he claims he was afraid for his life.
You are admitting here that it was a race issue based only on the knowledge of the color of his skin. That if he had been a black man making these claims rather than a white man it wouldn't have been about race.

The issue here isn't us. It's those who made it about race based on nothing more than the color of his skin.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
The reporter on Sunday asked Lee: “Do you feel it was irresponsible at all to suggest that this was a hate crime when we didn’t have all the facts?”
Her response: “Absolutely not, nothing is irresponsible when it comes to the loss of a precious 7 or 8-year old"

She didnt know the facts and said it was racially motivated. Obviously the facts have proven so far that it was not racially motivated.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
So sad that an innocent little girl lost her life. I think her sister was also injured if I remember correctly. Shame on the media for only caring about her because they hoped a white male had committed the act and they thought they could make political hay out of it. It’s a tragedy and an outrage no matter who did it.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Texas Democrat Congresswoman stands by remarks suggesting Jazmine Barnes’ killing may have been ‘hate crime’

By Greg Norman| Fox News
Black has admitted to taking part in the shooting as the driver.
A Texas Democratic Congresswoman is defending her earlier comments suggesting the drive-by shooting of 7-year-old Jazmine Barnes may have been a hate crime, even though both suspects in the case turned out to be black – and not a white individual as police and members of the public initially believed.
Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, when asked Sunday by a reporter about some of the comments made in the aftermath of the young girl’s death in Houston on Dec. 30, said it was “absolutely not” irresponsible to make that suggestion.
Barnes was shot and killed while sitting in the backseat of her mother’s car. Witness descriptions of a white man in his forties at the scene of the shooting – and a sketch put out by police – prompted widespread speculation a hate crime had happened.
“I believe – and having written hate crime legislation, knowing the criteria, I believe that this should be looked at as a hate crime,” Lee said during a press conference Friday, in a video posted to the Congresswoman’s Facebook page. “We don’t want to have on the street someone who is willing to kill children and possibly kill them in the name of hate."

The next day, at a rally calling for justice for Barnes, Lee said “do not be afraid to call this what it seems to be — a hate crime,” according to several news organizations.
Prior to the arrests, Barnes’ family lawyer, Lee Merritt, also said “we do believe that it [the murder] was racially motivated in part because our nation at this moment is highly racially charged.”
Yet both suspects in the case are black, police confirmed to the Associated Press on Monday.
One of them, 20-year-old Eric Black Jr., has been charged with capital murder and is making his first court appearance today. News of his arrest emerged Sunday.
Moments after police announced Black was in custody, Merritt wrote in an Instagram post that a second suspect, Larry Woodruffe, 24, was arrested in the shooting. Woodruffe is believed to be the shooter in the incident, according to Merritt, although police as of Monday have not confirmed the arrest, his identity or alleged role, the AP says.

The reporter on Sunday asked Lee: “Do you feel it was irresponsible at all to suggest that this was a hate crime when we didn’t have all the facts?”
Her response: “Absolutely not, nothing is irresponsible when it comes to the loss of a precious 7 or 8-year old."
She added: “The good thing was that in the comments that were made, there was no hysteria, there was no encouraging individuals to go out and find that person. It was nothing but orderly respect for the rule of law allowing our law enforcement to be able to do their tasks. And then now to call for an understanding that any violence against a child should not be the norm and that we should stand up against all violence.”
Investigators believe the killing appears to have been a case of mistaken identity “where the intended targets were likely someone else,” Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said Sunday.

“This death has sparked a lot of discussion on many different levels,” Gonzalez also said. “We know that there is an important discussion that does need to take place about race, about the real fear and concerns that hate crimes are in an uptick across this county. We also need to talk about gun violence.”
Hate crimes don't exist. Only crimes. And those can be motivated by hate, greed, being a sociopath, etc.. there is no greed crime designation. Jumping out at boogeymen and calling crimes hate crimes because race might be involved is just a "dog whistle", to use a term that has been popular in the past.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Some folks need to spend some time at the Department of Justice website, because they are quoting as fact statements that are incorrect. Here is what the data actually says:

- School shootings by school intruders are not on the increase, they have actually decreased the last few years. The wall to wall national reporting of each school shooting makes it seem like there have been more.
- "Race crimes" are not increasing - again, only the nationwide reporting of those specific crimes is increasing.
- A person of color is much most likely to be killed by another person of color.
- In a confrontation with police, a suspect is safer confronting a white law enforcement officer than a law enforcement officer of color. Law enforcement officers of color are more likely to use their weapon in a confrontation. Shootings by law enforcement officers of color tend to not get national play.
- On a percentage basis more people of color are incarcerated than whites, but it is because they commit a much higher percentage of violent crimes which tend to generate jail sentences. In fact a person of color, on average, receives a slightly lighter sentence than a white person convicted of the same violent crime. If sentences were equal there would even a slightly higher percentage of people of color incarcerated.

Flies in the face of what we hear in mass media. So much of that is not because of what they choose to report, but what they choose NOT to report.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Hate crimes don't exist. Only crimes. And those can be motivated by hate, greed, being a sociopath, etc.. there is no greed crime designation. Jumping out at boogeymen and calling crimes hate crimes because race might be involved is just a "dog whistle", to use a term that has been popular in the past.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
Not only is it a dog-whistle but it is a dog whistle that indicates that the lives of those not in a "protected" class are not as valuable of those that are.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Some folks need to spend some time at the Department of Justice website, because they are quoting as fact statements that are incorrect. Here is what the data actually says:

- School shootings by school intruders are not on the increase, they have actually decreased the last few years. The wall to wall national reporting of each school shooting makes it seem like there have been more.
- "Race crimes" are not increasing - again, only the nationwide reporting of those specific crimes is increasing.
- A person of color is much most likely to be killed by another person of color.
- In a confrontation with police, a suspect is safer confronting a white law enforcement officer than a law enforcement officer of color. Law enforcement officers of color are more likely to use their weapon in a confrontation. Shootings by law enforcement officers of color tend to not get national play.
- On a percentage basis more people of color are incarcerated than whites, but it is because they commit a much higher percentage of violent crimes which tend to generate jail sentences. In fact a person of color, on average, receives a slightly lighter sentence than a white person convicted of the same violent crime. If sentences were equal there would even a slightly higher percentage of people of color incarcerated.

Flies in the face of what we hear in mass media. So much of that is not because of what they choose to report, but what they choose NOT to report.
Holy Wow! I had no idea. I'm sure it's easy to find but would you mind posting your link? I would like to share it. Thanks

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007

What we think we see or know is often not the case at all. We are all guilty of it, it's human nature.

But we need to remind ourselves that it's always good to do a little research and verify some facts.

Jul 9, 2011
Holy Wow! I had no idea. I'm sure it's easy to find but would you mind posting your link? I would like to share it. Thanks
https://www.bjs.gov/

You have to do some digging, but it is an excellent site. You also have to be careful with some "qualifiers". For example, some definitions have changed over time which effects the numbers.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Here's an additional one - Hate Crimes are possibly not what you think they are:

- in almost two thirds of all reported "Hate Crimes" from 2011-2015 the Offender (person committing the crime) was a person of color ( 37.7% committed by whites). How often has the press pointed that out when they quote Hate Crime statistics? I automatically assume white offender.

Last edited: