Least-Educated State: California No. 1

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
"Paradise" is quite subjective there sir. You consider Cali paradise... I consider Okla paradise. Neither of us is wrong... and neither of us is right. Except in our own minds.

Nooo.... I DO NOT consider California "paradise", I consider SAN DIEGO paradise.

I'll go out on a limb and say that you're wrong. I was born and raised in Oklahoma, and it ain't no paradise by any stretch of the imagination. Now, I wouldn't even enter the part of Tulsa that I was raised in.

I love Oklahoma, and the people of Oklahoma, and may move back there some day - but it doesn't fit any definition of paradise that I've ever heard used.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
"Paradise" isn't defined as giving up basic freedoms, being taxed to death, and paying more for everything due to an overwhelming/tyrannical state government.
lol... you just made that up. Who says? You been to Belize? Easter Island? Hawaii?

and the costs are not so high necessarily because of government, it's because everybody pays more to live in a better part of town... that's just the way life lives.

Jul 20, 2018
lol... you just made that up. Who says? You been to Belize? Easter Island? Hawaii?

and the costs are not so high necessarily because of government, it's because everybody pays more to live in a better part of town... that's just the way life lives.
One example. The cost of gasoline in California is higher than other states because the STATE of California requires special blends AND the taxes are higher. Those are the only reasons-California state government.

A lot of the high costs of Belize, Easter Island, and Hawaii are due to their remoteness and small size. California is neither remote or small.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
One example. The cost of gasoline in California is higher than other states because the STATE of California requires special blends AND the taxes are higher. Those are the only reasons-California state government.

A lot of the high costs of Belize, Easter Island, and Hawaii are due to their remoteness and small size. California is neither remote or small.
blame the government.... "the people" voted for the gas tax. (much to my dismay)

I never said the cost of living wasn't higher, but isn't it simply anecdotal that your inference of a "lower cost of living" means better?

that's just one point in a litany of points, pro and con.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Nooo.... I DO NOT consider California "paradise", I consider SAN DIEGO paradise.

I'll go out on a limb and say that you're wrong. I was born and raised in Oklahoma, and it ain't no paradise by any stretch of the imagination. Now, I wouldn't even enter the part of Tulsa that I was raised in.

I love Oklahoma, and the people of Oklahoma, and may move back there some day - but it doesn't fit any definition of paradise that I've ever heard used.
Again, completely subjective. My Oklahoma cost-of-living allows me many freedoms and space and access and toys/hobbies and non-restrictions that I would not have nor could afford only making roughly 25% more and living in a Cali suburban neighborhood equivalent to Edmond. If "paradise" (at the current point in my life) is getting more, experiencing more, living more, affording more from your hard earned money, then again, I'm better off right here in just OK.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Again, completely subjective. My Oklahoma cost-of-living allows me many freedoms and space and access and toys/hobbies and non-restrictions that I would not have nor could afford only making roughly 25% more and living in a Cali suburban neighborhood equivalent to Edmond. If "paradise" (at the current point in my life) is getting more, experiencing more, living more, affording more from your hard earned money, then again, I'm better off right here in just OK.
got cha..... you get to buy more stuff that you can't use much of the time because it's too damned cold, etc.

Your personal experience does not necessarily define paradise. It's usually a collective concept.

living more? lol good one (blah, blah, blah... I live more than you do.... lol... wow)

experiencing more? you mean like the mountains and the ocean? Or theater? Symphony? what could you possibly experience more? ice storms? tornadoes? high heat and humidity? (scratching head)

Jul 20, 2018
got cha..... you get to buy more stuff that you can't use much of the time because it's too damned cold, etc.

Your personal experience does not necessarily define paradise. It's usually a collective concept.

living more? lol good one (blah, blah, blah... I live more than you do.... lol... wow)

experiencing more? you mean like the mountains and the ocean? Or theater? Symphony? what could you possibly experience more? ice storms? tornadoes? high heat and humidity? (scratching head)
It depends on what's important to people. I can step out my back door, hop on a boat and be saltwater fishing in 15 minutes. 2500 acres and my deer camp (with cabin) are 120 miles. Theater? Symphony? Not for me but it's up the road 30 miles. I'll take a hurricane over an earthquake any day of the week.

Living in Oklahoma, I could go duck, deer, and quail hunting within 15 minutes of my house. Same with fishing. Again, tornado you can go to a shelter. Earthquake? Nah.

I understand where you're coming from. You like California. That's cool. Some people don't like California. That should be cool, also.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK

I consider Broken Bow lake paradise. Not big on the Ocean or the desert. I'd don't think I'd like San Diego. In the woods miles from the nearest people that's paradise.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
It depends on what's important to people. I can step out my back door, hop on a boat and be saltwater fishing in 15 minutes. 2500 acres and my deer camp (with cabin) are 120 miles. Theater? Symphony? Not for me but it's up the road 30 miles. I'll take a hurricane over an earthquake any day of the week.

Living in Oklahoma, I could go duck, deer, and quail hunting within 15 minutes of my house. Same with fishing. Again, tornado you can go to a shelter. Earthquake? Nah.

I understand where you're coming from. You like California. That's cool. Some people don't like California. That should be cool, also.
we're talking about paradise.... not liking things.

as for tornadoes / earthquakes.....

Tornadoes: OK 64/yr --- CA 10/yr

Earthquakes: Alaska registers the most earthquakes in a given year, with California placing second, until 2014 when a sudden increase in seismicity in Oklahoma pushed it well past California as the second most active in terms of magnitude (M) 3.0 and greater earthquakes.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater

No wonder. The Okie part of California, the Central Valley as in Fresno, gets even more 100 degree days every summer than Oklahoma City.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007

When was the last time you've been in Oklahoma? Our weather has been pretty temperate for a number of years. Never mind the fact that some people actually like weather... the snow or ice or thunderstorms, etc... (Yes, I'm one of those sickos that actually loves driving in inclement weather. LOVED the icy drive in to work today.)

I never said I live more than you do... I said I (me, myself, my family) could "live more" HERE in OK with my salary and my cost of living than I could in Cali doing the things I like to do and experiencing the things I like to experience. Again, all I am saying is, given Cali's higher cost-of-living, I personally couldn't afford the luxuries that I have here in Okla. TO ME, it's not even close to a fair/reasonable trade-off.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Where were you raised in Tulsa? Tulsa has vastly improved...not sure if your old area has, but it's a MUCH nicer city than I would bet the last time you visited. Plus, while San Diego SHOULD BE paradise and used to be such, it's now a city with up to 20 homeless persons per block and smells like piss in many places...it's an epidemic of homelessness with no end in site. As a person born in California, I love the rural parts of the state...but not the cities...NOT at all. Tulsa is a FAR SUPERIOR place to raise a family than any large city in California and actually just a better place to live overall if you like to have any money in your pocket and ability to travel elsewhere. Once again, I love California...and I can visit anytime I please...If I lived in Cali again (which used to be a dream for me) it would likely be FAR more difficult to visit Oklahoma any time I pleased. It's just simple economics.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
When was the last time you've been in Oklahoma? Our weather has been pretty temperate for a number of years. Never mind the fact that some people actually like weather... the snow or ice or thunderstorms, etc... (Yes, I'm one of those sickos that actually loves driving in inclement weather. LOVED the icy drive in to work today.)

I never said I live more than you do... I said I (me, myself, my family) could "live more" HERE in OK with my salary and my cost of living than I could in Cali doing the things I like to do and experiencing the things I like to experience. Again, all I am saying is, given Cali's higher cost-of-living, I personally couldn't afford the luxuries that I have here in Okla. TO ME, it's not even close to a fair/reasonable trade-off.
sorry man, I posted nearly an identical post as yours and didn't read yours first...didn't mean to steal your thunder. :)