Lawn Question

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I've been in this house a year, so I am just now really getting into my pre-emergent schedule. I will have to go check my notes, but I am pretty sure I used pendulum first week in Feb, so I may have been late (and last week in October). Even still, my posts here are by FAR minor compared to what my yard used to be. The bermuda is taking over, and I have some trouble spots that mainly I just can't identify.

The house used to be a rental, and the bermudagrass was the minority of the yard.

As to the recent photos, my suspicion is that the pictured weeds are St Augustine grass before the runners have taken off. One of my neighbors doesn't care, and his yard is a mixture of everything including St Augustine grass. If St Augustine, what can I use to kill it?
2,4-D, among others, will kill St. Augustine. MSMA will take it out also - this would be my recommendation, since we have not positively identified it. MSMA will give good control of most grassy weeds in bermuda.

You have stated that it is a reclamation project, so herbicides will be your friends for a couple growing seasons. Long term, a good and consistent fertility program is the best weed control management that you can implement in bermuda lawns. Under good fertility, and with adequate sunlight and moisture, bermuda will out-compete most weed problems; crabgrass being one of the few exceptions.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
2-4D won't get st Augustine unless you really apply heavy. And if the st Augustine is established you are looking at a long time of yellowed grass in your Bermuda for it to die.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
2-4D won't get st Augustine unless you really apply heavy. And if the st Augustine is established you are looking at a long time of yellowed grass in your Bermuda for it to die.
True, but if St. Augustine is young and not yet sending stolons ("runners"), it is pretty susceptible to 2-4,D. MSMA is best option.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
2,4-D, among others, will kill St. Augustine. MSMA will take it out also - this would be my recommendation, since we have not positively identified it. MSMA will give good control of most grassy weeds in bermuda.

You have stated that it is a reclamation project, so herbicides will be your friends for a couple growing seasons. Long term, a good and consistent fertility program is the best weed control management that you can implement in bermuda lawns. Under good fertility, and with adequate sunlight and moisture, bermuda will out-compete most weed problems; crabgrass being one of the few exceptions.
So far so good. Thanks for the assistance.
True, but if St. Augustine is young and not yet sending stolons ("runners"), it is pretty susceptible to 2-4,D. MSMA is best option.
Since this is a reclamation project, I may use both. ;) I hate my neighbors and their 7am lawn crews who don't wash their equipment and drive across my yard, seeding it with whatever crap they just cut on the highway.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Two new weeds. May be the same thing. I mistook it for the beginnings of crabgrass and quinclorac (Drive 75) did nothing. I have my suspicions as to what it is, but I want unbiased input. Suggestions as to what it is and how to kill it?

View attachment 48102
View attachment 48103
I've got this crap in a few large places in my front yard. I hate having 3 different colored sections of grass between this, my bermuda and then the fescue that it in a heavily shaded area that bermuda just couldn't grow in... Other weeds the bermuda has overtaken from the O'Connor's fertilizer I use but this stuff is going to need a little extra boost to get rid of. I'm glad you posted this.

If you look closely the weed you posted is in a few spots by the sidewalk then a patch over by the neighbors trash. This is an older picture, I've fertilized once or twice now so it's a freakin jungle... lol

Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
Read this thread last year but never heard how it turned out and this year I'm in the same boat... I live in west Tulsa right next to TCC and the backyard is very shady, how did the heartland supreme work for you? I put down tall fescue seed but may just buy some sod if it doesn't germinate. Thanks for any help. (FYI, I'm no expert, just learn a few thing from the pops, so Layman's terms if you get scientific, please. haha!)
Totally forgot about this thread!

Over the past few years I have tried Five Star and Heaartland. I think the five star takes better. That said, the yard will not stay completely covered through the summer. Not sure if there is too much shade or if the heat kills it. Oddly enough last year what killed my baby grass was a torrential downpour that pretty much drowned it out! Two summers of worrying about it not getting enough water and then it gets too much water!

Best results have come when I overseed in the fall, though spring seeding has not been a complete waste. The seed I put down in the fall started to germinate about a week ago. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and then put down another light seeding. I've been sticking with the five star and every year a little more survives the summer. I've also tried five star extreme shade, but it doesn't do any better.

If I can remember this thread exists I may try and post some pictures this time.

P.S. I also have two large dogs and even though I limit their time in the yard when the grass is just starting to grow I am sure their presence in the yard does not help, so that could be another factor.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Totally forgot about this thread!

Over the past few years I have tried Five Star and Heaartland. I think the five star takes better. That said, the yard will not stay completely covered through the summer. Not sure if there is too much shade or if the heat kills it. Oddly enough last year what killed my baby grass was a torrential downpour that pretty much drowned it out! Two summers of worrying about it not getting enough water and then it gets too much water!

Best results have come when I overseed in the fall, though spring seeding has not been a complete waste. The seed I put down in the fall started to germinate about a week ago. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and then put down another light seeding. I've been sticking with the five star and every year a little more survives the summer. I've also tried five star extreme shade, but it doesn't do any better.

If I can remember this thread exists I may try and post some pictures this time.

P.S. I also have two large dogs and even though I limit their time in the yard when the grass is just starting to grow I am sure their presence in the yard does not help, so that could be another factor.
I'm getting sick of seeding my yard every year. Was thinking about putting down some Big and Tall and giving the yard guy a workout he will never forget. :runaway: