Knowles leaving: edit nope!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 9, 2011
earrth
All coaching jobs are temporary - it's the nature of the beast; so I don't think that is a factor either way. If Knowles could get a measurable bump in pay why not? He has no other emotional ties to OSU (not an alum, etc). I have also read there was some discontent over how the pay cuts due to COVID were handled.

All in all I don't see this as some big negative on OSU.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
Asst coaches (and HC's) interview for jobs for various reasons. the conspiracy theories that some fans come up with is comical.
a list, in no particular order:
-stature in the coaching community. some osu fans may not understand the pull that leagues like the B10 has in the coaching ranks. is ill. a hard place to win? absolutely. is osu a hard place to win? absolutely! Ill has money, $120M in 2019. Ill also sponsors 19 NCAA sports. osu's was less than $100M. and sponsors much fewer sports.
-money for the asst.
-some degree of flexibility of choosing his staff
-challenge
-doesn't get along with HC or admin

my point is that it could be any number of reasons. but generally its not some clandestine conspiracy.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Asst coaches (and HC's) interview for jobs for various reasons. the conspiracy theories that some fans come up with is comical.
-stature in the coaching community. some osu fans may not understand the pull that leagues like the B10 has in the coaching ranks. is ill. a hard place to win? absolutely. is osu a hard place to win? absolutely! Ill has money, $120M in 2019. Ill also sponsors 19 NCAA sports. osu's was less than $100M. and sponsors much fewer sports.
-money for the asst.
-challenge

my point is that it could be any number of reasons. but generally its not some clandestine conspiracy.
I think the biggest issue with the coordinators at OSU maybe not that they don't get the freedom to call plays and install their schemes its the fact that they don't choose their coaching staffs, If you look at the defensive side of the ball the last position coach change other than LB coach(DC) was adding Richmond as a second D-Line coach. Maybe they get freedom to call their plays as long as the other coaches agree, the coaches installed by the head coach. I have no knowledge of this being the case only speculating.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I hope he doesn’t leave; can’t blame a man for seeing what’s available. He’s done a very good job and I was pleasantly surprised how his hire worked out. 3-4 seasons is a good run for any OC or DC they aren’t meant to stay forever and it’s always a good thing when other P5’s want your guys.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
Gundy wrote the freaking book on this strategy: have success, interview for another job, let rumors fly, get a raise at current job. Let’s see how Gundy handles being on the other side of this process. Can’t blame Knowles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2006
Owasso, OK
I hope he doesn’t leave; can’t blame a man for seeing what’s available. He’s done a very good job and I was pleasantly surprised how his hire worked out. 3-4 seasons is a good run for any OC or DC they aren’t meant to stay forever and it’s always a good thing when other P5’s want your guys.
Exactly, good coordinators are a double-edged sword.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Gundy wrote the freaking book on this strategy: have success, interview for another job, let rumors fly, get a raise at current job. Let’s see how Gundy handles being on the other side of this process. Can’t blame Knowles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except that it is not Gundy handling it but instead its Holder. He is the man that holds the purse strings.

Sep 6, 2011
Looks like Knowles and UI's Director of Football Ops worked together for many years at Western Michigan. May be one of those situations where he's not necessarily unhappy at OSU, but is willing to listen to a former work colleague and consider a potential offer. Never hurts to understand what your market value is elsewhere.

Aug 16, 2008
Oklahoma City
Looks like Knowles and UI's Director of Football Ops worked together for many years at Western Michigan. May be one of those situations where he's not necessarily unhappy at OSU, but is willing to listen to a former work colleague and consider a potential offer. Never hurts to understand what your market value is elsewhere.
This is the answer. That’s the connection. Confirmed to me by some Illinois fans.

Then throw in a guy currently at Illinois formerly at OSU, named Underwood (who still has some hard feelings towards a guy named Holder). and presto ———— you produce a suggestion to “go look at that DC at OSU” while you’re looking to hire a DC.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Then throw in a guy currently at Illinois formerly at OSU, named Underwood (who still has some hard feelings towards a guy named Holder). and presto ———— you produce a suggestion to “go look at that DC at OSU” while you’re looking to hire a DC.
That’s not a stretch, that’s not a reach, that’s not a leap or a bound. That’s not even a moon landing or even a Mars landing. It’s absurd to think there is any correlation. I have ready some pretty outlandish things on this board lately (Herman for OC - LOL) and this is right up there.

Belima, the AD, nor the DFO give a damn about any alleged beef between a basketball coach and his former AD.

The fact is Knowles took a bad defense and turned them into one of the best in the country. Maybe they thought they had a shot with their prior connections. But to think Underwood is even an afterthought is preposterous.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
-money for the asst.
-challenge

Could also be that most of these coaches have agents and any agent worth his salt is going to tell you to interview for most offers because if you refuse to interview enough, you'll soon stop getting offers

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk