Knowles first year at Duke

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
The defense has a culture at OSU over the Mike Gundy era, the same way that the offense has a culture. It hasn't been balanced the whole time he has been coach. There have been a myriad of excuse as to why we have been losing games but its not new to this year or to the last few years. The defense has a culture of not stopping people, Jim Knowles was brought in to do just that but the difference in this years talent and last years is without a doubt different. You have three 1st year starters at safety and they're getting baptism by fire. You have the corners that are 2nd year starters that still look like first year starters at times. Bundage and Brailford have really looked good this year, Phillips has looked good this year. Darien Daniels was looking really good but is injured. You can't have a great defense if everyone is still learning positions and tackling and assignments. And that's where we are this year.

The time of possession argument is valid as we are averaging 6.5 minutes less possession in our loses than our wins, excluding the Baylor game as I haven't looked at it yet. Sustained drives don't equate to vanilla offense, in fact I would say that it could be more exciting to watch and demoralizing to the opponent to have sustained drives verses quick strike/quick punt that we now use. You don't have to run a Big 10/SEC offense to have sustained drives ask Bob Stit

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Most defenses not named Alabama or Ohio State are incapable of it, especially late in the game. All we needed against Baylor, another team that has demonstrated repeatedly that their defense is incapable of stopping anyone, was a first down to win the game. In college football now the best defense if a good offense. Unfortunately, we don't have a good offense, at least not what we're accustomed to, or a good defense.
You mean we needed a third first down. Here's our final drive. The two first downs we picked up are highlighted. Our offense moved the ball 40 yards into the wind, picked up two first downs and burned 4:06 off the clock. Is it all that freaking unreasonable to expect a defense to stop them in 60 yards and 1:37?

Just tell me, "Yes, it is unreasonable to expect a defense to stop the other team" and I will shut up. Tell me that.

(5:43 - 4th) Drew Galitz kickoff for 65 yds for a touchback

1st & 10 at OKST 25
(5:43 - 4th) Justice Hill run for 9 yds to the OKSt 34

2nd & 1 at OKST 34
(5:43 - 4th) Taylor Cornelius run for 5 yds to the OKSt 39 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at OKST 39
(5:43 - 4th) J.D. King run for 4 yds to the OKSt 43

2nd & 6 at OKST 43
(5:43 - 4th) J.D. King run for 2 yds to the OKSt 45

3rd & 4 at OKST 45
(5:43 - 4th) Taylor Cornelius pass complete to Tyron Johnson for 11 yds to the Bayl 44 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at BAY 44
(5:43 - 4th) J.D. King run for 4 yds to the Bayl 40

(2:30 - 4th) Timeout BAYLOR, clock 02:30

2nd & 6 at BAY 40
(2:30 - 4th) J.D. King run for 2 yds to the Bayl 38

(2:25 - 4th) Timeout BAYLOR, clock 02:25

3rd & 4 at BAY 38
(2:25 - 4th) Taylor Cornelius run for 2 yds to the Bayl 36

(1:37 - 4th) Timeout OKLAHOMA ST, clock 01:37

4th & 2 at BAY 36
(1:37 - 4th) Taylor Cornelius sacked by Chris Miller for a loss of 9 yards to the Bayl 45

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
The defense has a culture at OSU over the Mike Gundy era, the same way that the offense has a culture. It hasn't been balanced the whole time he has been coach. There have been a myriad of excuse as to why we have been losing games but its not new to this year or to the last few years. The defense has a culture of not stopping people, Jim Knowles was brought in to do just that but the difference in this years talent and last years is without a doubt different. You have three 1st year starters at safety and they're getting baptism by fire. You have the corners that are 2nd year starters that still look like first year starters at times. Bundage and Brailford have really looked good this year, Phillips has looked good this year. Darien Daniels was looking really good but is injured. You can't have a great defense if everyone is still learning positions and tackling and assignments. And that's where we are this year.

The time of possession argument is valid as we are averaging 6.5 minutes less possession in our loses than our wins, excluding the Baylor game as I haven't looked at it yet. Sustained drives don't equate to vanilla offense, in fact I would say that it could be more exciting to watch and demoralizing to the opponent to have sustained drives verses quick strike/quick punt that we now use. You don't have to run a Big 10/SEC offense to have sustained drives ask Bob Stit
Time of possession
Baylor 27:54
OSU 32:06

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
You mean we needed a third first down. Here's our final drive. The two first downs we picked up are highlighted. Our offense moved the ball 40 yards into the wind, picked up two first downs and burned 4:06 off the clock. Is it all that freaking unreasonable to expect a defense to keep them out of the endzone for either of their last two drives? Let alone stop them in 60 yards and 1:37?
FIFY

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
And we would have punted instead of going for it with a 2 possession lead. In other words you can't just focus on one aspect of the game with this team.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

PokeIncognito

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 1, 2013
Most defenses not named Alabama or Ohio State are incapable of it, especially late in the game. All we needed against Baylor, another team that has demonstrated repeatedly that their defense is incapable of stopping anyone, was a first down to win the game. In college football now the best defense if a good offense. Unfortunately, we don't have a good offense, at least not what we're accustomed to, or a good defense.
Have you watched Iowa State or Michigan State play?

Nov 14, 2010
And yet we had a lead with 1:37 on the clock.
You mean we needed a third first down. Here's our final drive. The two first downs we picked up are highlighted. Our offense moved the ball 40 yards into the wind, picked up two first downs and burned 4:06 off the clock. Is it all that freaking unreasonable to expect a defense to stop them in 60 yards and 1:37?

Just tell me, "Yes, it is unreasonable to expect a defense to stop the other team" and I will shut up. Tell me that.

1st & 10 at OKST 25

2nd & 1 at OKST 34

1st & 10 at OKST 39

2nd & 6 at OKST 43

3rd & 4 at OKST 45
(5:43 - 4th) Taylor Cornelius pass complete to Tyron Johnson for 11 yds to the Bayl 44 for a 1ST down

1st & 10 at BAY 44

2nd & 6 at BAY 40

3rd & 4 at BAY 38

4th & 2 at BAY 36
(1:37 - 4th) Taylor Cornelius sacked by Chris Miller for a loss of 9 yards to the Bayl 45

Our offense scored touchdowns on 3 consecutive drives, then got 2 first downs and forced Baylor to use every one of their timeouts.

Not only was this game not on the offense, the offense was darn near perfect in the late 3rd , then 4th quarter of the game.

Our offense put our defense in a position to where all they had to do was stop Baylor 1 time in it's last 3 possessions.

Just once!

I'm with you on this

This game falls exclusively on the shoulders of the defense.

I feel worse about it right now than I did when it happened.

Its almost like it's sunk in.

That was a pathetic loss

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Our offense scored touchdowns on 3 consecutive drives, then got 2 first downs and forced Baylor to use every one of their timeouts.

Not only was this game not on the offense, the offense was darn near perfect in the late 3rd , then 4th quarter of the game.

Our offense put our defense in a position to where all they had to do was stop Baylor 1 time in it's last 3 possessions.

Just once!

I'm with you on this

This game falls exclusively on the shoulders of the defense.

I feel worse about it right now than I did when it happened.

Its almost like it's sunk in.

That was a pathetic loss
Holee crap, we agree with each other! I'll go one further, if we don't commit the stupid pass interference then we have them in 3rd and long and have really good chance of stopping them, but it's almost like we have to grab jersey on anyone crossing the middle of the field. It's just plain stupid.

Nov 6, 2010

1st & 10 at OKST 25

2nd & 1 at OKST 34

1st & 10 at OKST 39

2nd & 6 at OKST 43

3rd & 4 at OKST 45

1st & 10 at BAY 44

2nd & 6 at BAY 40

3rd & 4 at BAY 38

4th & 2 at BAY 36
Well, when you put it like that....

Oct 6, 2012
At this point, GUNDY is getting as big a pass as Ford.

His offensive product is not good. Stats lie. He’s led us to 5 home losses in two years. His offense has been passed by ISU, Tech and Baylor. He’s no where near Riley. Instead of the “buyout” being the reason it’s over inflated stats against the worst teams on our schedule.
FIFY