Knowles first year at Duke

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Oh, I think Gundy was right to make a change in DCs. I think what we're seeing now is what Spencer left us with. I think Knowles needs to make some changes in assistants, bring in some of his own guys, and bring in some of his own players. I think it will get better. I also think @cowboyethics344 is right about the offense protecting the defense, but I don't think that is an offense that he's going to like. It would be more run oriented, deliberate, slower-paced, Big 10 like... "vanilla".
I also think it's easy to forget the impact of transfers on the defense under Spencer. It speaks to how many misses in recruiting we've had on that side of the ball, & just think how bad things could've been without the likes of Whitener, Patmon, Pittman & a few others.:ohmy:

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Can we get Glen Spencer back? I think he is way better than Knowles. That was a mistake firing Spencer.

Come back Glen.
No. Not a mistake. That's akin to divorcing a cheating wife only to marry her again thinking she'd be better this time.
Two wrongs do not make a right.

Knowles has to get better, but you can't fire a man after his first year. We're stuck and we simply have to endure the crap show for a few more games.
However, next year we certainly won't be swallowing the Gundy pre-season hype that he (and every other head coach) has to spiel to sell season tickets.

Honestly, for the best marketing for next year would be showing off the skills of Spencer Sanders or Brown for that matter. Otherwise, we're buying on faith alone.

Apr 20, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
That's easy. OC mediocrity is relatively new. DC mediocrity has been a chronic issue.
But why accept "will never"? Gundy obviously hasn't. If he thought that way there would be no reason for him to change DCs because Spencer was a great guy and well liked by the players.
Acceptance is subject to the person, I don't accept it. You'd have to ask him. Being in the Big XII doesn't help the defensive issues, though.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
No. Not a mistake. That's akin to divorcing a cheating wife only to marry her again thinking she'd be better this time.
Two wrongs do not make a right.

Knowles has to get better, but you can't fire a man after his first year. We're stuck and we simply have to endure the crap show for a few more games.
However, next year we certainly won't be swallowing the Gundy pre-season hype that he (and every other head coach) has to spiel to sell season tickets.

Honestly, for the best marketing for next year would be showing off the skills of Spencer Sanders or Brown for that matter. Otherwise, we're buying on faith alone.
I'll be disappointed if we don't utilize the new rule at all with these guys, but I don't expect Gundy to pull the trigger on either one.

TCU's the only likely winnable game left & Corndog's gonna get the chance to start & finish it, imo.

OU & WVU are likely gonna be pretty lopsided, & I can definitely see Gundy not wanting to throw either into the fire in blowout games.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I'll be disappointed if we don't utilize the new rule at all with these guys, but I don't expect Gundy to pull the trigger on either one.

TCU's the only likely winnable game left & Corndog's gonna get the chance to start & finish it, imo.

OU & WVU are likely gonna be pretty lopsided, & I can definitely see Gundy not wanting to throw either into the fire in blowout games.
The difference between us and West Virginia talent-wise isn't nearly as great as the difference between us and OU. It would take a mistake-free effort like we put together against Texas and Boise State, but it can be done.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
I think Knowles needs to reevaluate members on his side of the ball. The safety and corners coaches have been awful the past few years. Maybe he needs some new position coaches. Green and Williams look the same as last year.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I think we will see some coaching moves this year but not at the coordinator position. Knowles hasn't hired a single coach since becoming the DC, I can see him using this really bad year to bring in some guys that are familiar with his scheme and his overall vision for the defense. After 5+ years of Glenn Spencer's defense it may be time for some more fresh eyes, seeing .that our coaches have been pretty secure in their positions for some time.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Why would you bitch about mediocrity of the OC and simply accept mediocrity from the DC? That makes absolutely no sense.
So you want Knowles fired? Is that what I'm reading? Sure seems that way.

Because in my experience, you're not allowed to be critical of the coaching staff without also wanting them all fired.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The difference between us and West Virginia talent-wise isn't nearly as great as the difference between us and OU. It would take a mistake-free effort like we put together against Texas and Boise State, but it can be done.
Agreed on the comparison of OU vs. WVU.

I'd submit, however that the UT game was a mistake-free effort, which is good news. The offense failed in the redone twice early, Amendola left 6 points off the board & the offense went into its' usual sleepwalking quarter and a half to let UT back in the game. The upshot of which, is of course, that we might not have seen this team's best effort yet. (crossing fingers here)

Having the Mountaineers at home, hopefully at night, is big for sure. I'm just leary about this team's ability to win a game that gets into the 40's, & I think we'll need some help from Grier & Co. to keep them in the 30's. Don't know if that OL for them is still gonna be out, but any little bit helps.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
You don't think the #83 scoring defense in the country contributed to those losses? In our four losses we've given up an average of 38.8 points. That's okay with you? You don't see a problem with that? That gets a pass?
If we had longer, sustained drives that *ahem* KEEP THE OPPOSING OFFENSE OFF THE FIELD, we might not give up 38 points in our losses. Also, that would lead to a defense that isn't constantly gassed.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Agreed on the comparison of OU vs. WVU.

I'd submit, however that the UT game was a mistake-free effort, which is good news. The offense failed in the redone twice early, Amendola left 6 points off the board & the offense went into its' usual sleepwalking quarter and a half to let UT back in the game. The upshot of which, is of course, that we might not have seen this team's best effort yet. (crossing fingers here)

Having the Mountaineers at home, hopefully at night, is big for sure. I'm just leary about this team's ability to win a game that gets into the 40's, & I think we'll need some help from Grier & Co. to keep them in the 30's. Don't know if that OL for them is still gonna be out, but any little bit helps.
This is what drives me nuts. We had a 17 point lead, and a 10 point lead. The defense gives up 78, 60, and 75 yard touchdown drives and squanders the 17 point lead and nearly squanders the 10 point lead, but we blame the offense. :blink:

It is the defense's job to stop the other team from scoring.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
If we had longer, sustained drives that *ahem* KEEP THE OPPOSING OFFENSE OFF THE FIELD, we might not give up 38 points in our losses. Also, that would lead to a defense that isn't constantly gassed.
Time of possession
Baylor 27:54
OSU 32:06

Texas 25:32
OSU 34:28

Kansas State 37:52
OSU 22:08

Yeah, we got killed on that last one. But if we were as deliberate with the ball as KSU everyone would be crying about how "vanilla" we were.

Iowa State 29:52
OSU 30:08

Why is our defense so tired? is our strength and conditioning that bad?

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
This is what drives me nuts. We had a 17 point lead, and a 10 point lead. The defense gives up 78, 60, and 75 yard touchdown drives and squanders the 17 point lead and nearly squanders the 10 point lead, but we blame the offense. :blink:

It is the defense's job to stop the other team from scoring.
We went 25 minutes without a score, that speaks for itself. Sorry, that trend over the last few years bugs the crap out of me because it's made a lot of games closer than they should have been.

Obviously, games are not won or lost because of one unit, that's a given. Pointing out the failures of the team's strongest unit (nobody would argue that the offense has been that for years now at OSU) is okay to do. It also doesn't mean that one is saying the other 2 units didn't contribute to the loss, because obviously they did.

Saturday vs. Baylor, imo, is the perfect illustration of why this team is 5-4. Uneven undisciplined play in all 3 phases. All signs of a mediocre team.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Time of possession
Baylor 27:54
OSU 32:06

Texas 25:32
OSU 34:28

Kansas State 37:52
OSU 22:08

Yeah, we got killed on that last one. But if we were as deliberate with the ball as KSU everyone would be crying about how "vanilla" we were.

Iowa State 29:52
OSU 30:08

Why is our defense so tired? is our strength and conditioning that bad?
I should've added, long sustained drives with better mixed play calling, with scores happening at the end of every one. That part isn't even guaranteed because Amendola isn't the greatest kicker... :glare:

Across the board, we just simply have a lot of outmatched/inexperienced players.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
We went 25 minutes without a score, that speaks for itself. Sorry, that trend over the last few years bugs the crap out of me because it's made a lot of games closer than they should have been.

Obviously, games are not won or lost because of one unit, that's a given. Pointing out the failures of the team's strongest unit (nobody would argue that the offense has been that for years now at OSU) is okay to do. It also doesn't mean that one is saying the other 2 units didn't contribute to the loss, because obviously they did.

Saturday vs. Baylor, imo, is the perfect illustration of why this team is 5-4. Uneven undisciplined play in all 3 phases. All signs of a mediocre team.
Can someone tell me (because I'm lazy) when the last blocked punt for a TD happened against us? That one really got me.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Can someone tell me (because I'm lazy) when the last blocked punt for a TD happened against us? That one really got me.
Pretty certain it was last year at Morgantown. We had a 30-10 lead with like 4 minutes left in the 3rd & Sinor made himself a sandwich & got it blocked for 6. Then Rudloph threw a pic 6 like 30 seconds later & the 20 point lead was all but gone.

I believe that lead to Sinor's benching.

(years long rant now) But we don't need a ST coach.:facepalm:

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

We have the #17 scoring offense in the country, we have the #83 scoring defense in the country. I can accept calling our offense mediocre, there have been times when it has failed (Texas Tech is one). However, our defense isn't mediocre, its bad. Yet fans just plain ignore it. They give it a pass. They blame everything on the offense. They'll blame our offense when OU puts up 70 on us Saturday.

All we had to do last Saturday to beat Baylor was for the defense to stop them. We had them on third and long twice and let them out by committing stupid penalties. If y'all can accept that then good on you. It infuriates me. The job of the defense is to stop the other team from scoring. Ours is incapable of it.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
We have the #17 scoring offense in the country, we have the #83 scoring defense in the country. I can accept calling our offense mediocre, there have been times when it has failed (Texas Tech is one). However, our defense isn't mediocre, its bad. Yet fans just plain ignore it. They give it a pass. They blame everything on the offense. They'll blame our offense when OU puts up 70 on us Saturday.

All we had to do last Saturday to beat Baylor was for the defense to stop them. We had them on third and long twice and let them out by committing stupid penalties. If y'all can accept that then good on you. It infuriates me. The job of the defense is to stop the other team from scoring. Ours is incapable of it.
Okay, once again, I'm not absolving the defense of any blame here. And I've already said that the offense is clearly the best unit of the 3, so the "fans just plain ignore it" part doesn't hold any water with what I've said.

Like I said, it's perfectly okay to discuss, specifically, the performance of the #17 scoring offense vs. the #104 scoring defense. Particularly with the game on the line, 90 seconds left & no timeouts, & it gives up the ball at the opponent 45.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Okay, once again, I'm not absolving the defense of any blame here. And I've already said that the offense is clearly the best unit of the 3, so the "fans just plain ignore it" part doesn't hold any water with what I've said.

Like I said, it's perfectly okay to discuss, specifically, the performance of the #17 scoring offense vs. the #104 scoring defense. Particularly with the game on the line, 90 seconds left & no timeouts, & it gives up the ball at the opponent 45.
Incorrect. You must discuss all of it at once. Its the only to appease Rx at this time.

Nov 6, 2010

Most defenses not named Alabama or Ohio State are incapable of it, especially late in the game. All we needed against Baylor, another team that has demonstrated repeatedly that their defense is incapable of stopping anyone, was a first down to win the game. In college football now the best defense if a good offense. Unfortunately, we don't have a good offense, at least not what we're accustomed to, or a good defense.