Knowles a bad hire

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

HeartLike_JohnStarks

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2008
Streets got my heart, game got my soul
there is a strong possibility that the issue is they are used to giving 20 yards of cushion and now they have to actually step up and play in space.
The safeties in this system are theoretically supposed to be able in position to read and react more readily, if they trust their eyes. That can lead bust plays if they take too many false steps. This is on the coaching to get them to trust their reads and the other players more.

In those long pass completions they are simply reacting too much to other things out their leverage. There are certainly matchup issues with some of our guys, but these issues should've been improved upon from the Tech game.

We are sound in the intermediate and flanks tho. If we can only correct some of those miscues in those long pass completions then we should be actually halfway decent.

Mar 8, 2010
Mike Stoops is available and could begin today as our new DC :p Also, another former sooner, Gary Gibbs has to be scratching his head wondering why did he ever took this gig as a consultant with this defense.

Nov 14, 2010
The safeties in this system are theoretically supposed to be able in position to read and react more readily, if they trust their eyes. That can lead bust plays if they take too many false steps. This is on the coaching to get them to trust their reads and the other players more.

In those long pass completions they are simply reacting too much to other things out their leverage. There are certainly matchup issues with some of our guys, but these issues should've been improved upon from the Tech game.

We are sound in the intermediate and flanks tho. If we can only correct some of those miscues in those long pass completions then we should be actually halfway decent.
We play a base cover 4 quarters which means our safeties are both Run/pass players.

That is great if you're playing teams like Boise who either run the ball or throw the ball.

Read the last man on the line, if he gives you a high hat pass read drop into your quarters.

If the last man on the line gives you a low hat run read then come up and fit your alley.

That's the type of offense Knowles has had to defense.

The problem is, that's not at all how Big 12 offenses operate.

They have a run/pass option on each play and instead of you reading them, they are reading you.

These offenses are going to give a run look on just about every play and that doesn't mean at all that they are running the ball.

This is why Knowles never had a chance because he's scheming for something he's never seen and had no comprehension of.

He's scheming for an entirely different style of offense than what the Big 12 runs.

I broke down a couple series from last week's game and took video and still pictures of just how ridiculous our X's and O's on defense were and how little of a chance our players were given.

It's very long so I can PM anyone who would like to see it.

It's eye opening

HeartLike_JohnStarks

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2008
Streets got my heart, game got my soul
We play a base cover 4 quarters which means our safeties are both Run/pass players.

That is great if you're playing teams like Boise who either run the ball or throw the ball.

Read the last man on the line, if he gives you a high hat pass read drop into your quarters.

If the last man on the line gives you a low hat run read then come up and fit your alley.

That's the type of offense Knowles has had to defense.

The problem is, that's not at all how Big 12 offenses operate.

They have a run/pass option on each play and instead of you reading them, they are reading you.

These offenses are going to give a run look on just about every play and that doesn't mean at all that they are running the ball.

This is why Knowles never had a chance because he's scheming for something he's never seen and had no comprehension of.

He's scheming for an entirely different style of offense than what the Big 12 runs.

I broke down a couple series from last week's game and took video and still pictures of just how ridiculous our X's and O's on defense were and how little of a chance our players were given.

It's very long so I can PM anyone who would like to see it.

It's eye opening
I think i am already on the same page as you as far to what you're referring to but hit me up with what you saw too!