Knowles a bad hire

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
Where is the aggressive, blitzing put pressure on the offense, defensive theory we heard about all year? I’d rather go down swinging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our problem is that all Knowles how to do is to be aggressive.

That''s because he's never had to defense open ended RPO offenses the Big 12 runs.

His adjustments are to get more aggressive which makes things worse.

Big 12 offenses love how undisciplined we play because we're trying to be agressive.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
This guys defense has been a disappointment. Even KU burned him. Gundy made a mistake
You do know that the entire staff interviewed JK? So, they all deserve blame. There are a few things conspiring against this defense.
1. We are playing with very young safetys. They are confused much of the time and don't cover well even on their best day.
2. They are learning a new defense.

Aside from those things.

1. Knowles is learning that defending B12 O's is tough even with good players. Doing it with inferior players is really tough.
2. Our defensive coaches are doing a really lousy job of creating discipline on the defensive side. Guys are out of position and don't play their responsibility so many times. In the Patriots way, JUST DO YOUR JOB players.
3. Tackling in space is hard to do. But isu did it, with players that are rated about where ours were coming out of HS. How about we tackle better for one.
4. How about we recruit better players. That'll solve several of our problems. Now, how do you do that? Anyone got any surefire idea's?

Oct 30, 2007
Interestingly enough, despite our horrible defensive performances against Texas Tech & Iowa State, we're still ranked higher in total defense and scoring defense than we were last year under Spencer. We gave up 42 to Iowa State last season and that was in a game where we were able to sustain drives.

I'm not trying to argue that our defense was good enough against Texas Tech and Iowa State. It wasn't and It has to get better. But we can't forget that we really struggled under Spencer as well. We still have half a season left to play. Hopefully we'll look better by the end of the year.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
We are trying to make a line that can barely hold a block 2 seconds hold for 4 seconds. If we will recall, Rudolph had the same issue except he wasnt as painfully slow in his decision making as Cornelius. Bad qb choice, awful play calling. This is on Yurich and Mullet

HeartLike_JohnStarks

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2008
Streets got my heart, game got my soul
His scheme has led to us leading the nation in sacks. Our rushing defense ranks 37th nationally. Our passing defense ranks 108th nationally. Our secondary isn't getting the job done. There's no excuse for that consider Duffie and Hammerschmidt have been here for years and they're coaching players they recruited.
What's even crazier is that this we are supposed to concede less chunk passing yards if anything with the 3 safetied leveraged against the pass. It boggles my mind how late the take so many false steps and are so out of position often times.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
What's even crazier is that this we are supposed to concede less chunk passing yards if anything with the 3 safetied leveraged against the pass. It boggles my mind how late the take so many false steps and are so out of position often times.
there is a strong possibility that the issue is they are used to giving 20 yards of cushion and now they have to actually step up and play in space.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Yes but can't afford it, Gundy's buyout is to big.
Hopefully, this is a joke, especially since the equivalent move is firing Knowles. Even then, it's super knee jerk since just a few weeks ago we were posting about how amazing Knowles was following the Boise state game. You don't fire first year coaches mid season and you especially don't fire your most successful head coach ever mid season. The loss sucks and this will be a rough year, but firing Gundy only makes things worse.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm not ready to condemn Knowles just yet but as I said in a post yesterday, he needs to show some signs of life over the rest of the season. I don't know what reads our safeties have to make each play but I know earlier in the year, they were taking several seconds to read and react and I would bet it's still taking too long, allowing defenses to take advantage of that delay. I chalked that up to inexperience coupled with learning a new system (and still believe that). BUT if the defense isn't working, then tweaks need to be made......if the systems complexity is causing problems, then simplify things, at least for now (see 88 Holiday Bowl).

Feb 18, 2009
If knowles makes KSU’s 9th string QB who joins the team on Tuesday before the game look like another heisman finalist, then time for the hot seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it's a gametime decision that a career back up, or even ex wide receiver are going to play QB, we're f****d.

Feb 18, 2009
I said in the coaches thread and I say it again.

Every defense under Gundy as been this way. This isn't a Knowles issue. Just like the offensive woes aren't an o line issue.