Knife Chat

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
Anybody carry a Kershaw Skyline with them EDC? I needed a decent "beater" knife and have one coming in the mail today. Has decent blade steel (14C28N), weighs in a 2.5oz's and is 4" closed and about 3.125" blade combined with G-10 handles for $45 delivered is what sold me on it. I hope I like it more than the CRKT M-16 that has served my "beater" needs pretty well over the past 5 years, we'll see.................

http://bestpocketknifetoday.com/kershaw-skyline-review/

savagerebel

Payne County Redneck
A/V Subscriber
Apr 16, 2008
Stillwater
Anybody carry a Kershaw Skyline with them EDC? I needed a decent "beater" knife and have one coming in the mail today. Has decent blade steel (14C28N), weighs in a 2.5oz's and is 4" closed and about 3.125" blade combined with G-10 handles for $45 delivered is what sold me on it. I hope I like it more than the CRKT M-16 that has served my "beater" needs pretty well over the past 5 years, we'll see.................

http://bestpocketknifetoday.com/kershaw-skyline-review/
I just saw this. I carry one of these and I love it. I have no complaints with this one.

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
I just saw this. I carry one of these and I love it. I have no complaints with this one.
The are making a $90 version in S30V steel, I will get this one as well some day. This knife is a real slicing machine with the hollow grind it sports! I put a fine polished edge on it and shaved my face with it one morning to prove it to a friend. Even though I only gave myself one knick and had a close shave, I wouldn't recommend it with so many other better shaving blades out there!

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
Bought this Ontario RAT-1 knife on Amazon a few weeks ago for $24.99 ish. I've EDC'd it now for 3 weeks and absolutely love it! AUS-8 steel which keeps a good edge, maybe the best steel for the money on any knife.

7" open and 4" closed, less than 3 oz's and pocket clip comes tip down where it hides best but can be converted to tip up carry. Full flat grind with good jimping between handle and blade. When it comes to $'s vs Value, this knife and the Kershaw Skyline are two that I don't think can be beat. If you are looking to add a carry knife to your selection and don't want to spend the money to get that Spyderco or Benchmade, order this one and you will not be disappointed. Comes with an edge that will slice through magazine paper like buttah.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Knife sharpener.JPG
Knife sharpener box.JPG

Just purchased this Russian knife sharpener. Easily the best system I have seen. Similar in design to other systems out there, but the engineering and delivery of the concept is phenomenal!

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
I have 3 different sharpeners I use for different tasks:

1. Ken Onion Work Sharp - great for quickly sharpening blades of all sizes. Especially good for cooking knives (longer blades). Does round the bevel some on knives but I can have a paper cutting blade in 5 mins that has a mirror polish, using the correct belts. I can also use this one to sharpen axes, mower blades, etc and has a variable speed motor. Good all around tool for your shop with many uses.
www.worksharptools.com/ken-onion-edition-knife-and-tool-sharpener.html

2. KME Sharpener - this one gets into more money and takes considerably more time than work sharp to get the edge I want but once I do (using Chosera Waterstones sold separately), it's damn near the finest edge you can get on any knife using any system. I highly recommend this investment if you like killer edges and have patients. https://www.kmesharp.com/

Spyderco Sharpmaker - after I invest an hour or more with the KME into a good blade, I keep it touched up with the Sharpmaker. I wouldn't use it to fix small chips in the cutting edge (you can though) but it's great for keeping good blades hair popping sharp. Also good for curved edge blades and serrated edge knives.
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/204MF/77

All of the above take a little practice, with the Work Sharp being the most fool proof and the KME requiring a little more practice and learning on youtube.

I was always fascinated by my grandfathers' ability to keep his knives so damn sharp so I'm a little queer about my blades. "A dull knife is far more dangerous than a sharp one" he'd say. On average, I've learned he is correct