Knife Chat

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
I purchased the KME knife sharpening kit with 4 diamond stones (140,300,60 and 1500 grit), 3 chosera waterstones (2000, 5000 and 10,000 grits) along with a strop attachment and 1.5 micron emulsion bottle. I have sharpened S30V, 440C (pictured below), S35/90V, D2 (and a few others) with this set up and I can tell you that it is the bomb. Every one of the blades I've sharpened with this system will absolutely slide through phonebook paper like hot butter. I've skinned several deer with blades sharpened from the KME and once the edge dulls a little, I just hit them again with the Spyderco SharpMaker and they are right back to hair whittling sharp once again.

It does take me approx 1-1.5 hours of sharpening time to get a knife reprofiled (140 grit) all the way to stropped and ready to go but this is a one time thing. Once you get the knife sharp like this, 1 or 2 good ceramic stones (Spyderco) will bring the edge back to a super sharp very well defined edge. This system is awesome relative to the Work Sharp because it makes an angular and not a convex edge (think "V" edge and not "U"). Also, once you set the knife in the vise, you don't move the knife except to rotate it from once side to the other and the angle on each side is always the same for each stone. You can sharpen to almost a 15 degree angle on each side, although I usually don't see the need for more than a 17 degree for any of my applications.

I've also heard that the "Wicked Edge" system is bad to the bone, however it comes at twice the price as the KME system which is the only drawback I have discovered.

IMG_2093.JPG

savagerebel

Payne County Redneck
A/V Subscriber
Apr 16, 2008
Stillwater
My daughter bought me this Kershaw 1620 Ken Onion for Father's Day about 4 years ago. Its my favorite everyday carry ever.
I left it in my pocket through the wash cycle and it snapped the blade point off.
Anyone have a source for a replacement blade? I have e-mailed KAI with no luck.
View attachment 43314
Did you get hear from Kershaw about this?

savagerebel

Payne County Redneck
A/V Subscriber
Apr 16, 2008
Stillwater
I bought a new knife last night at the Final Decent Outdoors fundraiser. It is a pretty sweet knife. It is from Dynamik Blades. They are made in Oklahoma by a National Guardsman. This is the Reaper.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
@Rob B.
tulsaguns.com is their website.

Cick the store tab and check monthly specials and hot buys. They have some pretty good buys on knifes and guns from time to time. Got my Boker about 20 dollars off on a hot buy. When they have great prices on some guns they usually last about from a day to a week from the date on the flyer until they are sold out.

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I am a volunteer fireman and looking to pick up a knife that has a window punch and seat belt tool. I have a cheap one I carry right now and it is just that, cheap. Anybody have any recommendations for a decent one without me having to spend half my paycheck on it? Under $100 would be ideal.

savagerebel

Payne County Redneck
A/V Subscriber
Apr 16, 2008
Stillwater
I am a volunteer fireman and looking to pick up a knife that has a window punch and seat belt tool. I have a cheap one I carry right now and it is just that, cheap. Anybody have any recommendations for a decent one without me having to spend half my paycheck on it? Under $100 would be ideal.
I'm a career firefighter, I have carried a variety of knives. I would suggest the Kershaw Rescue Blur. Hard to go wrong with anything Kershaw.

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
I designed this on Benchmade website as a gift to a good Pokes customer/trading partner. Had them make me one also, can't wait to get this one of a kind Benchmade Barrage in the mail later this week!

image.png

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Browning Black Label 'Pandemonium' is made from 440 Stainless Steel which is on the lower end of the steel selection chart. I like the Uncle Henry Golden Spike which is made from 440A, and these usually hold the blade for field dressing one to two deer. I hear 440C will last a little longer.
Well, it didn't cost much and as I said it's a decent knife, very sharp and if it ever gets screwed up. No big deal... just get another one. But since I've got a couple of other knives (one is in my car and I'm not going out in the rain!).

I've wanted a KA-BAR for a long time, just never picked one up. Got one a few months ago at the Choctaw Gun Show and they threw in the 'cheaper' folding KA-BAR Agama which is VERY sharp out of the box. I took it over the guy that sharpens them for $3 and he said... "Hell, I couldn't get it any sharper right now" so he never even bothered with it. Again, it's not a $200-400 knife, so if the Agama breaks or gets lost. No biggie, but it's the knife I carry daily now.

I've mentioned the Pandemonium before, solid knife that won't hit you in the bank if something happens to it. The Schrade Viper 3 was one I was excited about, but it ended up being a pain more than a useful knife. Double sided blade but it's a pain to open (and close).

The big KA-BAR is a tough SOB. Much better steel (still average 1095 Cro-Van) than the other ones I have, probably for a reason considering it's holding that tradition it had earned over the year. It's extremely sharp out of the box too but you have to keep it clean/oiled or it can rust. I really like the serrated edge on this one.

knives.jpg

State

Russian Bot
A/V Subscriber
Mar 15, 2007
Working on the Railroad
I've got this Benchmade Triage which has what you're looking for but it's going to be $165 at Cabela's.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Benchmade-reg-Triage-Knife/1229657.uts
upload_2016-4-22_2-45-3.png

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
Recommend www.bladehq.com as a great website to get started shopping, then compare prices elsewhere as you wish. Be advised, when you comparison shop, be sure to check the details of blade steel and handle materials for an accurate comparison. For instance, some knives look exactly the same in pictures but one could be 8Cr13MoV blade steel and the other CPM S30V. There are big differences in corrosion resistance, ability to take an edge, hardness, etc. so be aware.

This may help you with understanding different blade steels and the best fit for your particular application(s):
http://bestpocketknifetoday.com/discovering-the-best-knife-steel/