Knife Chat

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Slugger926

Federal Marshal
Oct 19, 2004
D2 steel is excellent at holding an edge, however you should very proficient with your sharpening skills and have good equipment and patience to either keep the good edge that hopefully comes with it or to be able to reprofile and sharpen once it gets plenty use.

I recently purchased a KME Knife sharpening system and reprofiled a D2 steel Clifton stainless knife. I have 4 diamond stones (140, 300, 600 and 1500 grit) and 3 Chosera water stones (3000, 5000 and 10,000 grit) along with a 1.5 micron strop. It took me at least 2 hours to reprofile the edge to a 20 degree bevel and bring the shine to it. It slices thru phone book paper with ease now as well as pig hide, now after use I hit it with the strop block and it's good to go, worth all the extra time I took to get the good edge.
I am now looking to make a few of my own knives in D2 steel. I just found out that I can get heat treating done for 10 blades for about the same price as two. The stock I bought is enough for 4 knives, so I am probably going to make a copy of each knife I make with hidden tang in a deer antler crown and one full tang. This will give me an excuse to get a belt sander. Everything can be done cheaper than one good custom knife in D2 steel for anyone with experience is sanding and shaping metal.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I've never used one but always thought the system was pretty solid. Did it take you long to get the hang of it?
I am at the point that I need to either replace some stones on my Lansky, or go a different route. I am intrigued by the KME system that someone mentioned in an earlier post. Very similar principle to the Lansky, but I think they have improved on some things. http://www.kmesharp.com/kmeknshsy.html
Another option might be the Wicked Edge system. https://www.wickededgeusa.com/product-category/sharpeners/

Jax

Wrangler
Jan 26, 2010
Jacksonville Florida
I carry a small Kershaw Ken onion folded steel or a larger Spyderco, just depends on the day which one I put in my pocket. Had both for about five years and use them both often. Both are great knives.
The Kershaw Ken Onion Blur has been my everyday carry knife for several years. Fits my hand perfectly and can have it out for defense in second with the the assisted open. Good knife!

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
The Kershaw Ken Onion Blur has been my everyday carry knife for several years. Fits my hand perfectly and can have it out for defense in second with the the assisted open. Good knife!
My daughter bought me this Kershaw 1620 Ken Onion for Father's Day about 4 years ago. Its my favorite everyday carry ever.
I left it in my pocket through the wash cycle and it snapped the blade point off.
Anyone have a source for a replacement blade? I have e-mailed KAI with no luck.
IMG_20151212_110039_hdr_kindlephoto-164044333.jpg

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
My favorite knife won't leave home without it. Very useful and about the same size as a regular knife. Leatherman Skeletool. Blade is on the outside so it opens like a regular knife plus you have plyers a phillips and flathead screwdriver wherever you go.

Not to mention the hook on the end is the perfect bottle opener when you get a cold one from the liquor store.

savagerebel

Payne County Redneck
A/V Subscriber
Apr 16, 2008
Stillwater
My daughter bought me this Kershaw 1620 Ken Onion for Father's Day about 4 years ago. Its my favorite everyday carry ever.
I left it in my pocket through the wash cycle and it snapped the blade point off.
Anyone have a source for a replacement blade? I have e-mailed KAI with no luck.
View attachment 43314
https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/faq

Check out the first question under warrenty. I have had knives completely replaced for free in the past.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/faq

Check out the first question under warrenty. I have had knives completely replaced for free in the past.
No kidding I have had 3 skeletools replaced under warranty. What I did to break them I would consider abuse and I told them as much when I called it in. These things weren't designed to cut barbed wire and other things I do on the farm. They replaced them anyway.

savagerebel

Payne County Redneck
A/V Subscriber
Apr 16, 2008
Stillwater
I found an old Kershaw Chive and Packrat in a box from when I moved. They both had something spilled on them and neither will open. I need to send them back. I'm a little worried about the Packrat since it has been discontinued.