Knife Chat

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
Thought I'd start a thread like gun chat but for knives, any kind really. I've always had a facination with knives and how to sharpen them, never been great at either.

Anyhow, over the past year I've been buying a few items, mainly single blade folders, CRKT/Spyderco/Benchmade/Bokker, etc. Also bought a very cool 6" survival knife (pictured below) made by ESEE that is simply bad a$$, does everything from cutting tomatoes to batoning/splitting hickory for my smoker.

Hope there are a few knife nuts out there?????
ESEE6.jpg

tyokstate

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 8, 2005
Ardmore, OK
ESEE make fantastic hard working knives. I have the 4 and Izula II. I use the Izula for everything l, handy little fix blade. EDC is a spiderco Gayle Bradley with M4 steel. I also have a Gough Resolute 5" that I love, and a Bark River in A2 that I am not crazy about. Handle is slick and no gimping on the spine. Planned on this knife for gut work. Will need to make some more before use.

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
ESEE make fantastic hard working knives. I have the 4 and Izula II. I use the Izula for everything l, handy little fix blade. EDC is a spiderco Gayle Bradley with M4 steel. I also have a Gough Resolute 5" that I love, and a Bark River in A2 that I am not crazy about. Handle is slick and no gimping on the spine. Planned on this knife for gut work. Will need to make some more before use.
Very interested in the Gayle Bradley.........have you had to sharpen yet and if so, did it resharpen w/o lots of effort?

tyokstate

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 8, 2005
Ardmore, OK
Very interested in the Gayle Bradley.........have you had to sharpen yet and if so, did it resharpen w/o lots of effort?
I have had the Bradley for 2 years. It touches up easily with a fine grit ceramic stone or even the bottom of a stoneware cup/plate, then hit on a strop. When I neglect to touch up, about 7 minutes on a sharpe maker field combo. Gets it back into shape. I am not an expert sharpener by any means, but I find it easy enough.

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
I have had the Bradley for 2 years. It touches up easily with a fine grit ceramic stone or even the bottom of a stoneware cup/plate, then hit on a strop. When I neglect to touch up, about 7 minutes on a sharpe maker field combo. Gets it back into shape. I am not an expert sharpener by any means, but I find it easy enough.
I will have one soon, very well made knife

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
What means does everyone use to sharpen their cutlery? Whetstone (hand sharpening), belt grinding, Lansky, Edge Pro, Wicked Edge, etc.....? Interested in discussions you may have pro/con?

tyokstate

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 8, 2005
Ardmore, OK
I use the Work Sharp field sharpener for really dull knives and actually does a pretty good finish. Ceramic plate/coffee cups, truck window, or belt for touch up and finishing. I need to get some good sharpening stones. Then again what use is usually available.

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
My Work Sharp will reprofile a dinged up knife like a mad mad, I have the Ken Onion. For finer work I use the Spyderco ceramic kit and one great strop from www.knivesplus.com I ordered a year ago. Best strop in the world by far and only $24 delivered to your door. Handmade in Amarillo, the leather they use is perfect and it comes pre loaded with green media. Highly recommend for end of day touch ups on knives...........using these after light use every day reduces the need to every remove more material from your knife again. Only stakes 20 light (knife weight) passes on each side and you're ready to whittle hair if you want.

My next sharpener will be the Edge Pro Apex, was hoping somebody had one to tell me about it.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
My favorite knife is one of the cheapest, a Browning Black Label 'Pandemonium'. It's a solid-as-heck design and the blade stays sharp after you sharpen it. If it ever got jacked up, I'll just get a new one.

If I could afford a $400+ knife, I'd get a Dan Winkler. Doesn't get much better than Winkler's work....

Slugger926

Federal Marshal
Oct 19, 2004
My favorite knife is one of the cheapest, a Browning Black Label 'Pandemonium'. It's a solid-as-heck design and the blade stays sharp after you sharpen it. If it ever got jacked up, I'll just get a new one.

If I could afford a $400+ knife, I'd get a Dan Winkler. Doesn't get much better than Winkler's work....

Browning Black Label 'Pandemonium' is made from 440 Stainless Steel which is on the lower end of the steel selection chart. I like the Uncle Henry Golden Spike which is made from 440A, and these usually hold the blade for field dressing one to two deer. I hear 440C will last a little longer.

I would like to get a couple of custom knives made from one of my antlers and D2 tool steel from Silver Stag Knives. The D2 is a semi-stainless, can sharpen to razor sharp, and hold the edge for processing 10 deer. The D2 steel is in a higher class than the 440A and C, but still affordable compared to the exotic steels that may not add much benefit for the cost, or may be near impossible to sharpen the first time.

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
Browning Black Label 'Pandemonium' is made from 440 Stainless Steel which is on the lower end of the steel selection chart. I like the Uncle Henry Golden Spike which is made from 440A, and these usually hold the blade for field dressing one to two deer. I hear 440C will last a little longer.

I would like to get a couple of custom knives made from one of my antlers and D2 tool steel from Silver Stag Knives. The D2 is a semi-stainless, can sharpen to razor sharp, and hold the edge for processing 10 deer. The D2 steel is in a higher class than the 440A and C, but still affordable compared to the exotic steels that may not add much benefit for the cost, or may be near impossible to sharpen the first time.
D2 steel is excellent at holding an edge, however you should very proficient with your sharpening skills and have good equipment and patience to either keep the good edge that hopefully comes with it or to be able to reprofile and sharpen once it gets plenty use.

I recently purchased a KME Knife sharpening system and reprofiled a D2 steel Clifton stainless knife. I have 4 diamond stones (140, 300, 600 and 1500 grit) and 3 Chosera water stones (3000, 5000 and 10,000 grit) along with a 1.5 micron strop. It took me at least 2 hours to reprofile the edge to a 20 degree bevel and bring the shine to it. It slices thru phone book paper with ease now as well as pig hide, now after use I hit it with the strop block and it's good to go, worth all the extra time I took to get the good edge.

Last edited:

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
I carry a small Kershaw Ken onion folded steel or a larger Spyderco, just depends on the day which one I put in my pocket. Had both for about five years and use them both often. Both are great knives.