Kentucky Governor's race

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Virgina state legislature went control to Dems tonight too for first time in over 20 years

https://twitter.com/IronStache/status/1191896689432571905?s=19
So the red states are turning purple and the purple states are turning blue.

It will be interesting to see if the Republican political opportunists in the Senate jump ship. To be fair, if results went the other way it would be interesting to see if the Democrat political opportunists in the house did the same.

Sep 18, 2006
SEC country :(
I think they just elected a Democrat. In Kentucky and it was over a guy Trump was campaigning for.

Thats weird.
Not too weird. I remember that it was a bit of an upset for Bevin to win in the first place. From what I've ready about him, people kind of hate him. Out of the last 20 governors of Kentucky, only 4 were Republican.

It could be one of those things that happens in politics. Like, why is Maryland's current governor a Republican? And the governor of Massachusetts, a Republican, won re-election with 67% of the vote last year. Some states just reliably elect governors from the party opposite to their presidential trends.

Or, maybe it's a sign of something else.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Not too weird. I remember that it was a bit of an upset for Bevin to win in the first place. From what I've ready about him, people kind of hate him. Out of the last 20 governors of Kentucky, only 4 were Republican.

It could be one of those things that happens in politics. Like, why is Maryland's current governor a Republican? And the governor of Massachusetts, a Republican, won re-election with 67% of the vote last year. Some states just reliably elect governors from the party opposite to their presidential trends.

Interesting. I was not aware of that.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

Bevin was horrible and had the lowest approval rate of all Gov in the US. It is not surprising he lost to the Dem really. He refused Medicare and Medicaid expansion for the state from the Feds and wanted much tighter restrictions placed on qualifying for it in the state and picked a fight with the school teachers in the state over pay. 10 of the top 25 poorest counties in entire US are in Kentucky and rely heavily on Medicare and Medicaid. The Dem just went to these poorer counties and gave a 5 min pitch (no kidding just 5 min) saying he wouldn't place any new restrictions on Medicare or Medicaid.

It was a very bad move for Trump to attach himself to Bevin and have the rally there and then go on stage and say Bevin's re-election would be a reflection of himself.

The Kentucky GOP twitter actually praised Trump last night for Bevin's losing performance at the polls yesterday saying without Trump they would have lost by 17% instead of just 1%. :derp::derp::derp:

Last edited:

John C

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2011
Kentucky elected a Republican AG for the first time in over 70 years. He’s also black. “All politics are local,“ said someone much more famous than I.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
So the red states are turning purple and the purple states are turning blue.

It will be interesting to see if the Republican political opportunists in the Senate jump ship. To be fair, if results went the other way it would be interesting to see if the Democrat political opportunists in the house did the same.
Have a potential example of who you would be talking about?

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I think they just elected a Democrat. In Kentucky and it was over a guy Trump was campaigning for.

Thats weird.
The dude was down like 20 points and then Trump campaigns for him and it’s a toss up right now. If the guy loses it will be spun as a failure by Trump but clearly Trump had a huge impact to the positive for Bevin. Plus the Rs won the other 5 statewide races. Doesn’t really seem that weird to me based on the bigger picture.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The dude was down like 20 points and then Trump campaigns for him and it’s a toss up right now. If the guy loses it will be spun as a failure by Trump but clearly Trump had a huge impact to the positive for Bevin. Plus the Rs won the other 5 statewide races. Doesn’t really seem that weird to me based on the bigger picture.
He is live right now calling for a revote and will not concede

https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/1192201467165388809

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
He is live right now calling for a revote and will not concede

https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/1192201467165388809
A democrat would NEVER do that...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I get so sick of this new trend of never conceding close races. Both parties have pretty much made it a standard practice now. You got beat, do the right thing and concede damnit
Only difference, is the democrats usually contest and then drag up some "missing" ballot boxes, etc... to try and help them.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk