Kentravious Jones signs with OSU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
http://newsok.com/cowboys-boynton-land-6-foot-10-center-kentrevious-jones/article/5591070

Addressing a roster with a lack of size inside, Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton landed Kentrevious Jones, a 6-foot-10 center from Macon, Georgia.

Jones, a former Xavier commit, joins forwards Yor Anei and Duncan Demuth in the Cowboys' 2018 class. He announced the signing Sunday on his Instagram and will have four years of eligibility at OSU.

"We are thrilled that Kentrevious will be joining our program," Boynton said in a university release. "He comes from a great family and has been coached very well at every stop in his career thus far. Kentrevious is a tremendously hard worker who shares the values that we consider most important in building a championship program. He has a great desire to learn, and an even greater desire to win. He will bring a great post presence to our program. Kentrevious has a really high basketball IQ and will be valuable for us on both ends of the court for years to come. We can't wait to work with him."

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
http://newsok.com/cowboys-boynton-land-6-foot-10-center-kentrevious-jones/article/5591070

Addressing a roster with a lack of size inside, Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton landed Kentrevious Jones, a 6-foot-10 center from Macon, Georgia.

Jones, a former Xavier commit, joins forwards Yor Anei and Duncan Demuth in the Cowboys' 2018 class. He announced the signing Sunday on his Instagram and will have four years of eligibility at OSU.

"We are thrilled that Kentrevious will be joining our program," Boynton said in a university release. "He comes from a great family and has been coached very well at every stop in his career thus far. Kentrevious is a tremendously hard worker who shares the values that we consider most important in building a championship program. He has a great desire to learn, and an even greater desire to win. He will bring a great post presence to our program. Kentrevious has a really high basketball IQ and will be valuable for us on both ends of the court for years to come. We can't wait to work with him."
Sounds like a wider Solomon! If he progresses under Coach B like Solomon did the last two seasons he could have a great career.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
He reminds me of Byron Eaton except he’s a foot taller. I didn’t notice him dunking much but he will provide an imposing presence around the basket.
I was going to comment about him playing below the rim a lot (for a 6'10" guy) in that video, but there have been a lot of college players who had fine careers doing that.

He has a good drop step and generally kept the ball high on rebounds, so he has bought in to some coaching at some point - and we've seen how well the staff developed Solomon, so I think Jones may be a good player for us.

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
He reminds me of Byron Eaton except he’s a foot taller. I didn’t notice him dunking much but he will provide an imposing presence around the basket.
I was thinking the same thing in the dunking part. Wonder if he has any ups at all as it might be hard for him to get shots over the shot blockers. The things I really do like is his shooting touch and ball faking ability....as well as the way he uses his body. He may not be much of a leaper per se, but he looks somewhat agile.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
Like the size, but he does need work. Footwork for one and he HAS to learn to go left hand when he is on that side of the rim. At the 1:50 mark is a perfect example of what will happen at the next level when he tries to go up with his right hand on the left side of the glass . These things can be worked out. Size cannot be coached. Hops appear below average but Glass could turn this kid into a beast.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Like the size, but he does need work. Footwork for one and he HAS to learn to go left hand when he is on that side of the rim. At the 1:50 mark is a perfect example of what will happen at the next level when he tries to go up with his right hand on the left side of the glass . These things can be worked out. Size cannot be coached. Hops appear below average but Glass could turn this kid into a beast.
The quote from his high school coach says he has great footwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I'm interested to see what the coaching staff can do with this kid. He obviously has some size, but can he gain athleticism? We'll see.

From the video, I do like that he banging around a lot and doesn't seem to mind contact. And its not like he's so athletic that he's just out-jumping people. He's legitimately having to use footwork and positioning to get to the glass. His first step is strong. It appears that he has serviceable shooting form/touch.

My worries are his ability to defend, run the floor with Big 12 level players, and do so for a lot of minutes, because we may need him to be on the floor for a LOT of minutes.