K-State football protest

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
You came here to defend the suppression of freedom of speech on KSU campus by whining about Trump.

Trump C-
He should be sending in the National Guard to lawless places like ATL. He should be vetoing spending bills.
Some more welfare on the way!! You must be excited. Drain the good hard working american people with taxes. What are your thoughts on this?

I think it was stupid. I voted no. No clear path of funding it and all its gonna do is cause more good doctors to leave or retire and service will get worse.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
The tweet was in incredibly poor taste. That guy sounds like an ass. If KSU has a student policy that includes expulsion for rude and poorly timed jokes then he should be face that discipline.
But it wasn’t a threat nor did it glorify violence against someone. Are athletes going to refuse to participate every time they read or see something they disagree with? Why some people worry so much about what other people say or tweet, I don’t understand. Are some people’s minds and mental stability literally so weak that a tweet triggers that much? We are training people to be overly sensitive.

The term “snowflake” becomes more and more applicable.
Here's the thing, if the university wants the economic benefit of a football team cranking out advertising, merchandise sales, ticket sales and donations - Every university should:
1) make their volunteers extremely happy
or
2) look for a system of paying them and treating them like employees.

Currently the athletes are 0% stakeholders in the universities. If major college sports weren't such a gravy train for the schools, they'd tell the athletes to kick sand.

When you have major sport athletes working for peanuts; in relation to the millions they provide in revenue and publicity; it may be a good idea to adjust the model - with payment or continue to smooch the backside of the volunteer.

The Atherton pays the hospitality majors working the front desk; Every department pays their TAs and GAs.

If schools don't want the money the athletes provide, they will need to adjust their model or walk on eggshells.

Personally, I love Oklahoma State football and basketball; I'm pretty confident we all do here.
It's because of the guys like Barry Sanders, Bryant Reeves, Desmond Mason, Dez Bryant, Rashaun Woods and Justin Blackmon, Ivan McFarlin, Joey Graham, Zac Robinson, Darrent Williams, Vernon Grant and Brandon Weeden providing so many memories

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
Here's the thing, if the university wants the economic benefit of a football team cranking out advertising, merchandise sales, ticket sales and donations - Every university should:
or

Currently the athletes are 0% stakeholders in the universities. If major college sports weren't such a grvy train for the schools, they'd tell the athletes to kick sand.

When you have major sport athletes working for peanuts; in relation to the millions they provide in revenue and publicity; it may be a good idea to adjust the model - with payment or continue to smooch the backside of the volunteer.

The Atherton pays the hospitality majors working the front desk; Every department pays their TAs and GAs.

If schools don't want the money the athletes provide, they will need to adjust their model or walk on eggshells.

Personally, I love Oklahoma State football and basketball; I'm pretty confident we all do here.
It's because of the guys like Barry Sanders, Bryant Reeves, Desmond Mason, Dez Bryant, Rashaun Woods and Justin Blackmon, Ivan McFarlin, Joey Graham, Zac Robinson, Darrent Williams, Vernon Grant and Brandon Weeden providing so many memories
You realize they get paid now. That changed recently. That is in addition to their significant full scholarship including tuition, meals, and lodging,

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
You realize they get paid now. That changed recently. That is in addition to their significant full scholarship including tuition, meals, and lodging,
Athletes have always got stipends. I'm aware. This isn't not real money in relation to the amount of money they bring in. Otherwise, the school would tell them to seek employment elsewhere.

If this was an administrative assistant at Kansas State was upset about a student's tweet. No one would give a flip. The income earned from a administrative assistant's performance versus a football player's performance are not the same.

Jul 22, 2011
Athletes have always got stipends. I'm aware. This isn't not real money in relation to the amount of money they bring in. Otherwise, the school would tell them to seek employment elsewhere.

If this was an administrative assistant at Kansas State was upset about a student's tweet. No one would give a flip. The income earned from a administrative assistant's performance versus a football player's performance are not the same.
I think it's plausible to pay athletes from the programs that make big money off them. The unforeseen consequences will be the death of a lot of programs that don't make big money.

Also, your list of OSU greats had a lot of men on it, but no women, it might be argued that the schools don't promote women's sports like they do football, thus creating a huge Title IX violation.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I think it's plausible to pay athletes from the programs that make big money off them. The unforeseen consequences will be the death of a lot of programs that don't make big money.

Also, your list of OSU greats had a lot of men on it, but no women, it might be argued that the schools don't promote women's sports like they do football, thus creating a huge Title IX violation.
I'll be honest, women sports aren't as interesting to me; I've also never got into wrestling, golf or college baseball. I am not discounting their hard work or achievements - I'm just not personally interested enough.

Jul 22, 2011
I'll be honest, women sports aren't as interesting to me; I've also never got into wrestling, golf or college baseball. I am not discounting their hard work or achievements - I'm just not personally interested enough.
A good ACLU lawyer might argue that your personal interest is just internalized patriarchy and the women's basketball team have every right to be paid the same as the male players.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
or

Currently the athletes are 0% stakeholders in the universities. If major college sports weren't such a grvy train for the schools, they'd tell the athletes to kick sand.

And stipends.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

As with any contract, a letter of commitment is signed knowing full well what the responsibilities and expectations are and what benefits are going to be received. It's not like they don't understand they are signing up to play football and they aren't going to get paid millions of dollars for it until they're in the NFL if they make it that far.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas

I don't get paid in relation to the "real money" that I bring in to my Fortune 500 employer. I doubt anyone except an small Biz owner does. Get over it.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I don't get paid in relation to the "real money" that I bring in to my Fortune 500 employer. I doubt anyone except an small Biz owner does. Get over it.
I don't even believe the stipends are over minimum wage at 40 hours a week.

I also don't think Dak Prescott makes anywhere near what Jerry Jones does annually; but I am confident anyone in this thread would live comfortably (even if we had to take the franchise tag)

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
They don’t get paid at all. Stipends are not wages. You chose to not get paid fair market value. They aren’t getting paid wages at all.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
As with any contract, a letter of commitment is signed knowing full well what the responsibilities and expectations are and what benefits are going to be received. It's not like they don't understand they are signing up to play football and they aren't going to get paid millions of dollars for it until they're in the NFL if they make it that far.

Would you support all incoming players take a two week cram course of Andy Urich and Greg Mosier's Contract Law so there's no ambiguity toward contracts. It would also count toward their degrees?

Mar 11, 2006
I don't even believe the stipends are over minimum wage at 40 hours a week.

I also don't think Dak Prescott makes anywhere near what Jerry Jones does annually; but I am confident anyone in this thread would live comfortably (even if we had to take the franchise tag)
So a full ride scholarship, room and board, in addition to getting paid every semester is not good compensation to you?

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
So a full ride scholarship, room and board, in addition to getting paid every semester is not good compensation to you?
I think a college degree has great value. Yet, I think most major colleges steer their student athletes toward degrees that are easier to maintain the eligibility of the student athlete than necessarily serve the student. The Ryan Broyles and Myron Rolles are few and far between. I also think the incremental cost of student athlete tuition is misleading as it is quite intangible. I feel generally the premier student athlete helps the university more than the university helps the athlete.

This can be evidenced by students picking a school more often than an athletic program picking its athletes.

I would have loved to have a D1 scholarship offer, but I think a lot of us romanticize what it actually entails, once you have seen how the sausage is made.