K-State football protest

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Be that as it may, you can't act surprised when people are passionate about something, whatever it is, and you mock their passion to their faces, then you're like to get some emotional responses.
That's true but should work both ways. A person can be passionate that all life matters or that police life matters and get upset when the protests are in their face. It's a public space, everybody has the same right to be there. Can't we just respect each other's opinions equally.

Nov 6, 2010
That's true but should work both ways. A person can be passionate that all life matters or that police life matters and get upset when the protests are in their face. It's a public space, everybody has the same right to be there. Can't we just respect each other's opinions equally.
That's just it though, usurping the Black Lives Matter phrase and inserting whatever is not meant to support anything, it is a direct intent to disrespect them. The pro police phrase I believe is "Back the Blue", and would be appropriate for those demonstrations. I'm sure in the current climate though, that would also draw ire from some of these more "enthusiastic" BLM folks as well, but it would not be a direct insult, and then you'd have a much stronger point.

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
So I'm not on the twittersphere, but has anyone from the KState (or others) been digging through all the boycotting athletes' social media accounts looking for disrespectful comments to get them expelled form school?

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
So I'm not on the twittersphere, but has anyone from the KState (or others) been digging through all the boycotting athletes' social media accounts looking for disrespectful comments to get them expelled form school?
No we have jobs and don’t live off of welfare. We dont have time. Have at it!

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Here are the players demands:

“allows a student to be dismissed for displaying openly racist, threatening or disrespectful action toward a student or groups of students,"

Disrespectful action? Huh?
How would "toward a student or group of students" have applied here??…. Was George Floyd involved on campus or something? Towards a student or group of students I get, toward a random person that just happens to be the same race as some students though?? We really gonna go there??? If THAT'S the litmus test then this could LITERALLY apply to any person saying anything negative about any other person in existence...

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
How would "toward a student or group of students" have applied here??…. Was George Floyd involved on campus or something? Towards a student or group of students I get, toward a random person that just happens to be the same race as some students though?? We really gonna go there??? If THAT'S the litmus test then this could LITERALLY apply to any person saying anything negative about any other person in existence...
Anything a student finds offensive will be considered threatening towards that student.....whether the comment is made about the student or about the man in the moon is irrelevant. Being offended is seen as being directly threatened but only they get to decide what is offensive and what isn't.

You're absolutely right, it could apply to anybody and anything. This is an attempt to give the left carte blanche to remove any person that doesn't conform to their way of thinking and acting.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

Remember when we used to teach this to kids? Remember when this used to be the way people were encouraged to live? We failed as a society because generation z apparently never learned this lesson. And it sucks for future generations who will wonder why they owe a hundred dollar fine for using the words he or she.

Oct 30, 2007
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

Remember when we used to teach this to kids? Remember when this used to be the way people were encouraged to live? We failed as a society because generation z apparently never learned this lesson. And it sucks for future generations who will wonder why they owe a hundred dollar fine for using the words he or she.
Kids have been coddled for far too long. Decades of safe spaces & participation trophies have developed a generation that care more about their feelings than the freedom of speech. This won't end well.

I'm way too young for this, but I'm starting to feel like this guy:

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Exactly.

I don‘t understand the mentality of allowing a tweet from a college student to bother you so much that you quit what you love to do. The mental weakness of some is astounding.
We have a president that tries to take credentials away from people that ask him questions. Country has been soft! People just pick and choose who they consider weak for suppressing freedom of speech.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
We have a president that tries to take credentials away from people that ask him questions. Country has been soft! People just pick and choose who they consider weak for suppressing freedom of speech.
To be fair some of the credentials Trump pulls are from people who are trying to make a name for themselves off of asking gotcha questions and not real journalistic questions. Did you ever see Obama face such questioning? I'll answer for you, he didn't. Neither did Bush honestly.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
No one has a right to a press pass. Trump could cancel all press junkets for the remainder of his term and there would be jack anyone could do about it.

I can't tell if you're just being frivolous because you're frustrated or if you actually believe that Trump taking away press credentials is a threat to freedom of the press.... which, by the way, is not the same thing as freedom of speech.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
No one has a right to a press pass. Trump could cancel all press junkets for the remainder of his term and there would be jack anyone could do about it.

I can't tell if you're just being frivolous because you're frustrated or if you actually believe that Trump taking away press credentials is a threat to freedom of the press.... which, by the way, is not the same thing as freedom of speech.
Kim Jong Un I had no idea you were an oklahoma state fan. Greetings.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Kim Jong Un I had no idea you were an oklahoma state fan. Greetings.
This was so stupid I actually laughed at it, good job. However, your response leads me to believe you legitimately don’t know the difference between freedom of the press and freedom of speech. You should look into it so you don’t give the appearance of being an ignorant fool next time. Give those non-sequiturs some relevant bite!

As an aside, you’ve become so hardened from your years of really high-level internet debating that you’ve mistaken my post of facts as some kind of endorsement of Trump. I merely pointed out that no one is guaranteed a press pass or access to the president as your original post implied that Trump’s softness was leading him to restrict the rights of the press.

Jul 22, 2011
How was your 8 year nap?
While you were sleeping, Barack Obama wiretapped journalists phones and threw a guy in prison for making a youtube video. :thumbup: "Kim Jong O"

https://theweek.com/articles/464430/why-did-obama-administration-spy-associated-press
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakoula_Basseley_Nakoula