Justice Hill's Usage...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Is anyone else kinda afraid that he won't be drafted because he isn't being used enough? I know he had 23 carries Saturday night. But are his overall stats, up to this point, *great* or just *ho hum ok*? Would it be good for him to stay for his senior year, or go in a lower round?

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
No

edit to add: now, if he wants to stay for his Sr season, I have no problem w/ that. NFL scouts and front offices are pretty good and picking out talent, even if, some internet message board rando, claims a RB "hasn't been used enough"

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
He's going to put up his 3rd straight year with over 1000 yards rushing. Everything he's accomplished has been with an average at best line in front of him. The NFL will look at him as an explosive athlete that stayed relatively healthy in college. His lighter load carrying the ball will likely be viewed as a positive to NFL teams because he'll have less wear and tear than other running backs in the draft. He'll be fine.

Dec 21, 2008
Carson is also prototypical nfl size, pretty much untouched in JUCO and could easily have been in Georgia’s backfield if he would’ve qualified. He’s a tremendous asset and talent that we got to enjoy but I still think he is untapped potential. He’s a monster!!

Oct 30, 2007
What will really hurt Justice Hill's draft stock is his size. He's listed at 5'-10" 190 lbs. Most NFL running backs have another 20 to 40 lbs of muscle mass so they can stand up to the physicality of the game at that level.

My guess is he'll end up as a mid to late round draft pick kind of like Kendall Hunter. It won't really matter where he gets drafted though. There are a lot of late round picks and even undrafted running backs that make it in the NFL.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
What will really hurt Justice Hill's draft stock is his size. He's listed at 5'-10" 190 lbs. Most NFL running backs have another 20 to 40 lbs of muscle mass so they can stand up to the physicality of the game at that level.

My guess is he'll end up as a mid to late round draft pick kind of like Kendall Hunter. It won't really matter where he gets drafted though. There are a lot of late round picks and even undrafted running backs that make it in the NFL.
If hill can add another 10-15lbs, although that's a lot I think he would be ok. Kamara is 5'10" 215. Shorter legs mean shorter strides meaning changing direction is easier.

Sep 23, 2010
This usage deal is wearing me a out a little. I found it ironic when I looked at Barry Sanders numbers from '88 and was thinking "This guy wasn't worried about usage". His NFL career turned out ok, and he left on his own terms.

Jul 28, 2006
Hill is a solid back, but he's the second best back on this team. Hubbard is a game breaker and we truly need him to get the majority of touches. Having said, I have never felt Hill was much more that a third rounder at the very best. I would not be surprised to see him sign as a free agent. Most feel he is going to leave regardless. It's hard to say what the right move would be for him. RB's have such a short life span and a single injury can derail you for good. On the other hand, next years line should be substantially improved giving him a chance to have better numbers. It's only a matter of time before the public pressure to play chubba will overwhelm. He could come back and get fewer touches.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Guerin Emig...

“Early in the year I was a little concerned about him getting hit, but he wants to run,” Gundy said in reference to quarterback Taylor Cornelius. “Five wants the ball more and 14 wants to run more. So let’s roll, let’s do it.”

“Five” is Justice Hill. And while it was telling to see Cornelius carry the ball nine times by design – six keepers off the zone read and three quarterback sneaks – it was even more so that OSU fed Hill 23 times for 92 yards. That more than doubled Hill’s output, in both categories, from the Cowboys’ 31-12 loss at Kansas State in their last game.

Gundy’s post-Texas quote made it sound like Hill might have wanted Hill to have the ball again, which would have been rather extraordinary given the running back’s soft-spoken nature.

I asked the coach to clarify Monday afternoon in Stillwater.

“No,” Gundy said, “I could just tell he wants the ball more. Now, he wanted out some Saturday night, too. He got the ball enough and he got a little fatigued. But it was good. Thirty (Chuba Hubbard) came in and made some plays, 27 (J.D. King) made some plays.

“Nah, he’s never come to us to say he wants to touch the ball more.”

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

He won't be a 1st round pick or anything due to his size, but he will be drafted in the middle rounds to be used as a change of pace or utility back. Most NFL teams employ a committee approach to keep guys fresh and utilize their unique skill sets to exploit matchups.

He could easily become like Danny Woodhead, Austin Ekeler, James White, Marlon Mack, Tarik Cohen, Gio Bernard, Chris Thompson, Dion Lewis, Darren Sproles, etc....at the next level. Cohen, Mack, Phillip Lindsay, and a few other smaller backs are even starting to get some major work on early downs as well. I could see him becoming that in the right situation as well.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Hill is a solid back, but he's the second best back on this team. Hubbard is a game breaker and we truly need him to get the majority of touches. Having said, I have never felt Hill was much more that a third rounder at the very best. I would not be surprised to see him sign as a free agent. Most feel he is going to leave regardless. It's hard to say what the right move would be for him. RB's have such a short life span and a single injury can derail you for good. On the other hand, next years line should be substantially improved giving him a chance to have better numbers. It's only a matter of time before the public pressure to play chubba will overwhelm. He could come back and get fewer touches.
Considering the "public pressure" to play Sanders made no difference, I doubt it will with Chuba either. By the way, whenever Hill and Chuba were in at the same time, the defense focused on Hill. It's just like with receivers where sometimes the #2 gets more touches because the defense isn't focused on them. No biggie. chuba has time, he's a freshman, Hill is and should be #1 RB.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Mark Cooper on the I-formation...

In 2018, Oklahoma State hasn’t been effective enough in goal-line or short-yardage situations. The Cowboys have scored 24 touchdowns in 42 red-zone trips, a rate that ranks 90th in FBS.

It led to Gundy hearing about it at home, from his 14-year-old son, Gage. And it led to him rethinking Oklahoma State’s philosophy when it needs a yard.

“What I said was the truth,” Gundy said. “I'm tired of coming home and my 14-year-old is saying, ‘Why don't you go under center on short yardage? You snap the ball 5 yards deep and you get your teeth knocked in every time. Get on the goal line, can't score. Why don't you go under center?’”

Gundy said he got to thinking his son was right. The open week gave Oklahoma State more time to consider changes. Gundy, who typically watches practice from a platform at the top of OSU’s facility, took a more direct approach to try to fix short-yardage issues.

The result: Oklahoma State not only went under center, it flashed an I-formation for the first time in years in its 38-35 win over No. 6 Texas on Saturday. In a game that may have saved the Cowboys’ season, Gundy relied on schemes older than OSU’s throwback uniforms to catch the Longhorns off guard and allow his team to convert better in short yardage.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Agree on Hubbard. Home run threat, bigtime.

I hope we see him touch the ball (on offense, not just KO's) 10-15 times a game for the rest of the season. His speed is undeniable.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Agree on Hubbard. Home run threat, bigtime.

I hope we see him touch the ball (on offense, not just KO's) 10-15 times a game for the rest of the season. His speed is undeniable.
Him and woods need to be used constantly. Woods looks like he is going to be a bigger and stronger pettigrew.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Him and woods need to be used constantly. Woods looks like he is going to be a bigger and stronger pettigrew.
Bigger, yes, but highly doubtful he's stronger. Pettigrew was a monster blocking. Also, I totally missed where Pettigrew apparently got arrested this summer, for punching a cop, again. We need at least one star in the Gundy era to really stick in the NFL and not make headlines for the wrong reasons. Okung is probably the closest we have to that and maybe Weeden, but he never sees that field these days. Spud was close, but kept getting hurt. Back on topic, hopefully Hill and Hubbard can make some waves in the league and stay out of trouble. Both seem like high character kids on top of being talented backs.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Bigger, yes, but highly doubtful he's stronger. Pettigrew was a monster blocking. Also, I totally missed where Pettigrew apparently got arrested this summer, for punching a cop, again. We need at least one star in the Gundy era to really stick in the NFL and not make headlines for the wrong reasons. Okung is probably the closest we have to that and maybe Weeden, but he never sees that field these days. Spud was close, but kept getting hurt. Back on topic, hopefully Hill and Hubbard can make some waves in the league and stay out of trouble. Both seem like high character kids on top of being talented backs.
I suspect given another year with Glass and Woods will be an absolute monster next year. I think Chris Carson should do well in the NFL. Also, Tyreek hill seems to have screwed his head on since the OSU episode.