Just what we asked for . . .A QB thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Watching those old videos makes me miss the days when football players could hit each other.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Our best QBs has been and will always be the ones that:
1. Read the D well.
2. Audible the O formations and plays
3. Anticipate plays
4. Stand tall in the pocket and see and scan the playing field.
5. Protect the football!
6. Side steps quickly to elude pass rush to extend plays
7. Have speed to gain grounds if QB rush is the last resort.
8. Have elusiveness to gain more grounds if QB rush is needed.

Our current QB strong points are only #6, 7 and 8 priority list.

Another Bobby read in the making

Last edited:

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
HCMG was placed in a precarious situation. Not let SS work through this and learn, or replace him and mess with his confidence.

Would I have have brought Brown in, maybe. Five turnovers is alot. But Sanders would still know it's his job to lose.

Here are our choices, be patient with the freshman mistakes or start over next year. We made the mistake of having to go through a 2nd rebuilding season by not giving Sanders some reps last year. Do we dare make it a 3rd rebuilding season?
But would you bring in Brown with a soft cast on one of his hands? I mean that has to mess with his ability to get the snap and make proper handoffs.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
But would you bring in Brown with a soft cast on one of his hands? I mean that has to mess with his ability to get the snap and make proper handoffs.
I've read this on the board in a few places but nothing "official". If this were true, it would be seen from TV. And why would they take a travel spot with Brown if he couldn't play ? The number of travel spots is limited.

(and I won't throw out there that Gundy never mentioned this when asked why he didn't play Brown because we all know that Gundy thinks he can outsmart anyone and covering up a Brown injury would be right up his alley).

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I've read this on the board in a few places but nothing "official". If this were true, it would be seen from TV. And why would they take a travel spot with Brown if he couldn't play ? The number of travel spots is limited.

(and I won't throw out there that Gundy never mentioned this when asked why he didn't play Brown because we all know that Gundy thinks he can outsmart anyone and covering up a Brown injury would be right up his alley).
They mentioned it on the radio broadcast. I’m not sure it was a soft cast, but Robert Allen said the tape job was extensive.

The radio team thought Dru was potentially coming onto the field. He and Sanders were throwing on the sideline after one of the interceptions. Brown had his helmet on and Sanders didn’t. Robert Allen was warning folks that the wrap on Brown’s hand looked alarming, but mentioned it didn’t seem to create any issues with him taking snaps in practice.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
You don’t put a quarterback on the field that isn’t ready for prime time and/or doesn’t give your team the best chance to win. Question is, did Gundy pull the trigger to prevent him from transferring? Sanders mom was notoriously outspoken about his playing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a moot point now.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Kyler Murray - Transfer T A&M
Baker Mayfield - transfer T Tech
Jalen Hurts - Bama

That's really impressive and good for Lincoln Riley. You just keep thinking that's how it works and try not be shocked when lightning doesn't strike 4 times.
Don’t need lightning to strike 4 times. We got Spencer Rattler. Also the number one overall QB and prospect in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 10, 2016
Locust Grove
Here's my take on that.

We have a bunch of guys competing each and every day at practice to play football.
Some get to substitute into the game because they've earned their play through their practices and have the confidence (somewhat) of the coaches to be inserted into the game for one we need everyone to get some experience in case of injury or bad play needing to be replaced.
Why the hell is this any different with our quarterbacks?!

You've got LD Brown substituting for Hubbard on occasion. You don't see Hubbard getting all heartbroken or insecure because he's sitting out a couple of plays.
No one else does either, because they know that other players have to be spelled and those backups want a chance to prove they can play as well.

EXCEPT for our quarterbacks. WHY?!
Dru Brown transfered to play at this university. He did his time, he worked out just like everyone else on this team, he played well enough in practices to be neck-and-neck in the quarterback competition. Doesn't he deserve to play, too? I realize his pinky was injured, but what happens now if Brown and Sanders both get injured in a worst case scenario? Are we suddenly not worried about egos and more concerned with putting the best person in there that can help us win a damn game? Or do we just close up shop and put a sign on the doors that says, "Closed for season. Be back next year."?

Play to win each and every game is what I'm wanting my coach to think and say.

If someone is having a crap game, then substitute another player that can help us win the damn game!

How freakin' hard is that to understand?!
And why do we have quarterbacks with such fragile egos that can't think for the betterment of the team that their play is a liability that day?!
WTF is so hard to understand that?!

These aren't 9 year old boys that are going to cry because they got their feelings hurt. This is college football -- it's a multi-million dollar game that a university, coaches, players and fans invest emotionally and monetarily to be a part of.

Freakin' play the game to win for everyone and not just the fragile ego of one player, GUNDY!!

Grow a pair.
1570555251497.png

Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
Our best QBs has been and will always be the ones that:
1. Read the D well.
2. Audible the O formations and plays
3. Anticipate plays
4. Stand tall in the pocket and see and scan the playing field.
5. Protect the football!
6. Side steps quickly to elude pass rush to extend plays
7. Have speed to gain grounds if QB rush is the last resort.
8. Have elusiveness to gain more grounds if QB rush is needed.

Our current QB strong points are only #6, 7 and 8 priority list.

Another Bobby read in the making
Exactly my thoughts. Or a Jerrod Johnson at Texas. SS better keep learning and improving, because Shane Illingworth is coming.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Exactly my thoughts. Or a Jerrod Johnson at Texas. SS better keep learning and improving, because Shane Illingworth is coming.
I am not too sure people respect that SS can spread the D all over the field. Corndog was not accurate and often overthrew the receivers, BUT SS under-threw the receivers and often time wide open receivers had to wait for his hanging ball to arrive?

If I am the D coach, I dare SS beat me with the deep ball and concentrate the coverage near the LOS.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
The problem is found in the O-Line
lolololololol

Different year, same argument. The O-line has seemingly been our singular downfall since 2011. Personally, I don't buy it. A good play caller will work to minimize our weaknesses. Instead, Gundy is intent on maximizing that weakness by running up the middle or pulling guards to run zone to the weak side of the field. The problem, IMO, is that the play caller (Gundy) would rather lose games than be creative or take risks.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
lolololololol

Different year, same argument. The O-line has seemingly been our singular downfall since 2011. Personally, I don't buy it. A good play caller will work to minimize our weaknesses. Instead, Gundy is intent on maximizing that weakness by running up the middle or pulling guards to run zone to the weak side of the field. The problem, IMO, is that the play caller (Gundy) would rather lose games than be creative or take risks.
Different year, same insipid discussion points. The O-Line is not performing, it affects everything elss

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Here it is Thursday and I'm still pretty upset with the play and coaching of our team.

This happens too often after a good win. It happens too often for a team that has enjoyed the best success of any OSU team ever. And that should tell you how bad things have been in the past.

I'd rather not go through another year like last year. That was awful. After all of the success Gundy has brought us, one would think we'd be beyond that by now. But, I suppose not.
And I'm trying to deal with the disappointment that plateauing brings.
And it's not even plateauing -- it's more digressing.

That's what brings me down.

Same problems. Same excuses. Same results.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Here it is Thursday and I'm still pretty upset with the play and coaching of our team.

This happens too often after a good win. It happens too often for a team that has enjoyed the best success of any OSU team ever. And that should tell you how bad things have been in the past.

I'd rather not go through another year like last year. That was awful. After all of the success Gundy has brought us, one would think we'd be beyond that by now. But, I suppose not.

Maybe Gunnar can talk some sense into Dear Old Dad.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia

We made wrong assessments, We thought Mississippi State was tough and K-State was tougher and we were the toughest team when we dominated K-State at both LOS.

.....and were thought we were ready to run over the wimpy Texas Tech.

WRONG!

Back to the drawing board!