Just got back from St. Louis

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Well, I thought I would give you guys a summary of how things went down there and my take on our 5th place finish.

We took a total of 8 guys. The only weights we did not take were 197 and 149. We have been short handed at 149 all year, and 197 is occupied by true freshman Clayton Foster.

125 - Tyler Shinn - He came in mid year due to some sort of academic thing making him ineligible fall semester. He performed well during the spring and actually broke the top 15 in the polls. He did fairly well in the tournament, however he was 2 wins away from becoming an All American. It has been said that he is cutting too much weight to be a good 125 pounder. Look for him to move up to 133.

133 - Coleman Scott - He came into the tournament with what looked like a major case of senioritis. His performance all year had been lackluster when compared to his past 3 years. He was seeded #3 in the tournament and rolled through the bracket. He failed to pick up any bonus points, so we were speculating the championship match to be a hard fought bout against Iowa...but we all know what happened. Way to go Coleman! 4 time All American with one national championship!

141 - Nathan Morgan - He also came in with what appeared to be major senioritis. He started the tournament seeded #4 and easily rolled through to the semifinals, picking up a tech fall and a pin along the way. He was beat out by finalist Chad Mendes from Cal Poly, the #1 seed. Mendes beat Nathan earlier in the year, and he used the same technique in the semis that he used in the regular dual...just hang on to Nathans head and wait. Nathan was beat again in the third place match, and ended up at his seed with a 4th place finish. He ended his career being a 3 time All American!

157 - Newly McSpadden - Newly is a good wrestler, but he just doesn't know it. He does not use his strength to his advantage. He wrestles EVERYONE close. He will beat the worst wrestler in the country by 2 points and lose to the best wrestler in the country by 2 points. And that is exactly what he did at the tournament. He lost to the number 2 seed by 1 point, and then got beat in the consolations by the #7 seed by 1 point. Hopefully Newly can improve his offense in the off season and come back next year and make All American.

165 - Jake Dieffenbach - Jake has been a pleasant surprise for us this year. He spent most of the year ranked in the top 5 at 165. He came into the tournament seeded #7 after some disappointing losses late in the year. He was hurting pretty bad at the tournament, he was limping and had a HUGE leg brace on. He suffered some very disappointing losses and was knocked out before he could make All American. He was a senior so he will not be back.

174 - Brandon Mason - Mason has had trouble his whole career. Not because he is not talented, because he is very very talented. But because he is at the wrong weight class. He should be at 165 (and will be next year), but due to Johnny Hendricks, and then a late transfer in from Dieffenbach, Mason was our best option at 174. He was beat out before making All American. Look for him to come back next year at 165 and tear it up!

184 - Jack Jensen - I knew he could do it. Last year, Jack was one win away from becoming an All American. He was ineligible for the fall semester as well, but once he came in for spring he let everyone know he was ready. He is the type of athlete you hope to get on your team. He is not afraid of ANYONE, and he give EVERY match 110%. He is not happy with any loss, even if it is to the #1 wrestler. He goes out to win. And win he did! Jack made All American by placing 7th in the country!! Way to go Jack!!! You deserved it!! I will really miss you next year.

HWT - Jared Rosholt - He is developing into a fine HWT for us. He made All American by placing 4th. He beat his seed of 5 too. If he continues to work on arm strength and puts on a few more pounds, he will be very dominant next year. He is also our only returning All American, so we need him to step up and be a team leader.

So on to my experience at St. Louis. The tournament was fun, as usual. We had to sit in the OU section because OSU sold their allotment of tickets before our POSSE number got called, but it wasn't nearly as bad as you'd think. For those of you who don't know a OU wrestling fan, they are actual normal people. I got to thinking about what sets them apart from other OU fans, and I realized that it's because they are actual fans of the sport and are there to support the team. They aren't there just because OU wins. I did however learn that Iowa fans are the OU football fans of the wrestling world. Every time an Iowa wrestler would touch his opponent, the entire Iowa section (which was unfortunately pretty much the entire arena) would start yelling "2!! 2!!". The would boo every Iowa opponent, and every ref. I was also sitting next to Will Rowe (OU's 149, who got knocked out of the tournament) and it was nice to hear his take on what was happening, and who the refs were actually screwing. Overall, it was a good experience despite our low finish.

To the team: Good job, and thanks for all your hard work! See ya next year!!

Feb 5, 2007
Nice post. Glad you enjoyed the tourney. Didn't get to go this year but followed the tourney as much as I could. Definitely understand your thoughts on the squawks. They think they're the center of the universe.

Pretty much agree with your thoughts. Not sure Coleman and Nathan had "senioritis". I think maybe they wrestle to their abilities and not what we "wish their abilities are". Nathan struggles with the really strong guys, but had a great tourney including smoking Rivera. Guys he lost to were #1 and #2 seeds for a reason. I'm sure it's hard to stay up for the whole season. These two guys have been fun to watch for the past 4 years.

Also really proud of Cowboy Jack Jensen. He's been fun to watch this year. Wish he could have had the other half of the season.

Jun 30, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Thanks for the great summary. Hopefully, Iowa fans will be bitching about us again and our arrogance for the next couple of years. Personally, I have always enjoyed the rivalry. Pitting the two best programs in the nation against each other is a good thing.

OSUFirepolak

Federal Marshal
Jan 16, 2005
8th place finish????

I thought we finished tied for 5th with Iowa State.

That's what the TW is reporting in the article about Scott winning the championship.

The Hawkeyes won with 117.5 points. Surprising Ohio State was second with 79, followed by Penn State with 75, Nebraska with 74, O-State and Iowa State 72.

Aug 2, 2004
Bartlesville
We tied for fifth with ISU.

Final Team Standings

1. Iowa - 117.5 points

2. Ohio State - 79 points

3. Penn State - 75 points

4. Nebraska - 74 points

T5. Oklahoma State - 72 points

T5. Iowa State - 72 points

T7. Central Michigan - 69 points

T7. Michigan - 69 points

9. Cornell - 67 points

10. Minnesota - 61.5 points

Aug 2, 2004
Bartlesville
Nice post. Glad you enjoyed the tourney. Didn't get to go this year but followed the tourney as much as I could. Definitely understand your thoughts on the squawks. They think they're the center of the universe.

Pretty much agree with your thoughts. Not sure Coleman and Nathan had "senioritis". I think maybe they wrestle to their abilities and not what we "wish their abilities are". Nathan struggles with the really strong guys, but had a great tourney including smoking Rivera. Guys he lost to were #1 and #2 seeds for a reason. I'm sure it's hard to stay up for the whole season. These two guys have been fun to watch for the past 4 years.

Also really proud of Cowboy Jack Jensen. He's been fun to watch this year. Wish he could have had the other half of the season.
I don't think so. Morgan just made silly errors that cost him in the Big 12 and NCAA Tournament. He definitely has the ability to be a National Champion.

He had Mendes beat in Stillwater and gave it up at the last second. he had a similar mistake against an inferior competitor at the Big 12's.

Aug 2, 2004
Bartlesville
125 - Tyler Shinn - He came in mid year due to some sort of academic thing making him ineligible fall semester. He performed well during the spring and actually broke the top 15 in the polls. He did fairly well in the tournament, however he was 2 wins away from becoming an All American. It has been said that he is cutting too much weight to be a good 125 pounder. Look for him to move up to 133.

I hope your right. Tyler has a lot of promise.

157 - Newly McSpadden - Newly is a good wrestler, but he just doesn't know it. He does not use his strength to his advantage. He wrestles EVERYONE close. He will beat the worst wrestler in the country by 2 points and lose to the best wrestler in the country by 2 points. And that is exactly what he did at the tournament. He lost to the number 2 seed by 1 point, and then got beat in the consolations by the #7 seed by 1 point. Hopefully Newly can improve his offense in the off season and come back next year and make All American.

Yep, that is a good assessment. Newly can become a great wrestler if he develops some offense.

174 - Brandon Mason - Mason has had trouble his whole career. Not because he is not talented, because he is very very talented. But because he is at the wrong weight class. He should be at 165 (and will be next year), but due to Johnny Hendricks, and then a late transfer in from Dieffenbach, Mason was our best option at 174. He was beat out before making All American. Look for him to come back next year at 165 and tear it up!

Good point. Mason has been a disappointment thus far. Let's hope a change in weight class makes the difference. I still want to see more offensive development. He reminds me of Newly in that regard.

HWT - Jared Rosholt - He is developing into a fine HWT for us. He made All American by placing 4th. He beat his seed of 5 too. If he continues to work on arm strength and puts on a few more pounds, he will be very dominant next year. He is also our only returning All American, so we need him to step up and be a team leader.

AGREED! I look for Jared to dominate next year. He is easily my favorite wrestler.

Great post.

Sep 20, 2005
Murphy's (RIP Dirty's)
We can be good next year but nowhere near as good as we've been.

It's becoming rather apparent the team that won 4-straight titles was once in a generation, and hard to replace.

Pendleton, Hendricks, Rosohlt, Esposito, Mocco etc.. that is the real murderer's row.

Jan 1, 2005
Oklahoma City
We can be good next year but nowhere near as good as we've been.

It's becoming rather apparent the team that won 4-straight titles was once in a generation, and hard to replace.

Pendleton, Hendricks, Rosohlt, Esposito, Mocco etc.. that is the real murderer's row.

Jamaal Parks will be a great one, I hope we can get Chris Perry, he may be better than his brother. Next year will be young again, but I look for Mason to do big things at 165, and hopefully get an elite transfer in:D

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Yeah, I made an error when I typed 8th. We did, in deed, finish 5th. SORRY for the mix up guys!

I think Mason's problem with offense is he is so undersized against 174 competition. I look for him to tear it up at 165!!

Aug 12, 2005
Concord, NC
www.prayforaidan.com
For those of you who don't know a OU wrestling fan, they are actual normal people. I got to thinking about what sets them apart from other OU fans, and I realized that it's because they are actual fans of the sport and are there to support the team. They aren't there just because OU wins.
I'll agree with you on that one. Most OU fans are just as knowledgeable and appreciative of the sport as OSU fans.
I was also sitting next to Will Rowe (OU's 149, who got knocked out of the tournament) and it was nice to hear his take on what was happening, and who the refs were actually screwing.
Please ... enlighten us ... I would guess all those stalling calls against our guys were part of said screwing?

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Please ... enlighten us ... I would guess all those stalling calls against our guys were part of said screwing?
Well, Will himself was only there for the finals. But yes, it was very interesting to hear him say things like "That's a horrible call" and "This guy is the worst ref I have ever had to deal with" (apparently this ref was booed by the ENTIRE arena at teh big 12 tourney...old white haired guy. And luckily he retired after the finals match that he officiated). I tried to tell Will that he needed to transfer, but he wasn't having it...ha ha.

Jan 1, 2005
Oklahoma City
Yeah that white haired ref is terrible, Fritch I believe is his name, he really stuck in to Coleman in the Big 12's.(not to say Coleman shouldn't of overcome that, but thats beside the point)

Nov 1, 2004
We'll miss Scott. Give him the standard redshirt and strong odds he'd have been a 3-time finalist. Not too many of those. Miss Morgan too, to a lesser degree. Can't win it without finalists ... save the one year Gophers managed to pull it off. So what's next year's lineup in the lightweights? I read Shinn at 133, I read Parks at 133. Which is it ... if anybody on here knows.

Mason at 165 ... sounds great, but if he can't beat 174's on his feet, I bet he can't beat 165's either.

We're looking at Iowa as the solid favorite next year and the year after. And Iowa's probably not gonna pull a Gopher season, be the best on paper and barely make the top 10. If you ask the Iowans, they'll say order has been restored ... them on top and everybody else FAR behind.

Don't know about the rest of you, but to me that's worse than just about anything I can think of in the world of college sports. Somehow we need to breed some finalists. Save Rosholt/Parks and Foster, I just don't see it in the near term. We should have gotten Mark Perry and we need to get his brother. And we need some of our 3rd ranked HS recruits to step up and become the best. Kinda like Johnny Thompson did a few years back.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Here is what I think the roster will look like:

125 - Shinn - I think he will still be our best bet. I think that he is big for 125, but too small for 133. I don't know though. If he were to move up he might be able to increase his strength, which IMO is his biggest problem, but I think he would still get out-horsed at 133. If Shinn makes the move to 133, look for Jordan Oliver to come in straight to the starting line up.

133 - Parks - If he can make 133, he will be here. If Parks can't make it, look for Shinn to make the move.

141 - Ashmore - Assuming there is no bad blood between him and OSU over whatever happened to his brother, look for Luke to compete here. Fuentes may make the drop to 41 as he seemed way to small for 149 to compete for time.

149 - Fuentes/Silver - If Fuentes stays at 149, look for him to be the starter at the beginning of the season. Silver should definitely compete for time though.

157 - McSpadden - Will probably be the starter to begin. Look for a freshman to challenge for time though. Newly will HAVE to develop an offense if he expects to remain as a starter. Other options will be freshmn Johnny Koepp and Alex Meade, and I've also heard rumors of Kyle Griffin dropping to 157.

165 - Mason - Should get the nod here. He will be better at 165. The reason he is so bad on his feet at 174 is because he can't beat anyone with upperbody strength. His mom said that he was the happiest she has seen him in a long time when the plan was for him to move to 165 this year (before Dieffenbach transferred in). If he does not make the move, look for Johnny Koepp and Kyle Griffin to compete.

174 - Hill - I think he moves down to 174, he wrestled the first semester at 184, and just didn't have enough horsepower to keep up with the other guys. Chris McNeil should challenge him for time.

184 - Toss up - I think whoever doesn't make 174 will compete for starter's position. Also look for Walker Clarke and Jared Shelton to move to this class. I think Shelton will have a serious shot here if he can make weight. He is VERY strong, but not strong enough for 197. Foster may make the move, but unlikely.

197 - Foster - I think we stick with him here, even though he is light for 197. I think we focus on building some muscle mass here and getting some conditioning for him. His technique is good during the first 3.5 minutes, but it seems like he runs out of gas too fast.

HWT - Rosholt - No contest here.