Jussie Smollett charges dropped

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...mollett-legal-letter--20190405-htmlstory.html

Is it really double jeopardy to prosecute someone a 2nd time if the charges are dropped the first time? I thought it was only if you were found innocent... Which he was not...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
If the judge set conditions on the dismissal, like paying the costs and doing community service, then the case is not dismissed until all conditions are met. His attorneys know that, it's just attorney bullspit.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...mollett-legal-letter--20190405-htmlstory.html

Is it really double jeopardy to prosecute someone a 2nd time if the charges are dropped the first time? I thought it was only if you were found innocent... Which he was not...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
No legal eagle here, but he was never prosecuted the first time. He was charged, the case dismissed & the records sealed.

From what I've seen, Chicago's going after him civilly to recoup the money spent investigating his "attack."

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
As I understand it, he can’t be tried in State court ever again for any charge that were dismissed. He can however be tried in Federal Court for different Federal charges The pending civil lawsuit is not double-jeopard since its civil, not a criminal proceeding. Just like OJ was sued in civil court, the City of Chicago can in essence sue for damages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.yahoo.com/news/jussie-smollett-case-brothers-carried-150627182.html

"Gloria Schmidt, the Chicago attorney who represented them when they were declared suspects and arrested by Chicago police in February, presided over the affair. She said her two clients "deserve to have their reputations restored" and read a statement from the brothers.
"We have sat back and watched lie after lie being fabricated about us in the media, only so one big lie can continue to have life," the Osundairos' statement read. "These lies are destroying our character and reputation... Anyone who knows us know we do not have hate, that is not who we are... We will no longer sit back and allow these lies to continue."

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
So the brothers are facing emotional distress and Jussie is having night terrors? My heart weeps for all of them.
Seems like a shakedown for money, & that the brothers have some real leverage here for civil damages. Don't know how Smollett's team can smear them over a crime the PD says didn't happen.

Jul 22, 2011
https://www.yahoo.com/news/jussie-smollett-case-brothers-carried-150627182.html

"Gloria Schmidt, the Chicago attorney who represented them when they were declared suspects and arrested by Chicago police in February, presided over the affair. She said her two clients "deserve to have their reputations restored" and read a statement from the brothers.
"We have sat back and watched lie after lie being fabricated about us in the media, only so one big lie can continue to have life," the Osundairos' statement read. "These lies are destroying our character and reputation... Anyone who knows us know we do not have hate, that is not who we are... We will no longer sit back and allow these lies to continue."
I'm sure someone will pay these brothers off. Smollett's story isn't interesting anymore, not to anyone but hateful bigots (/s).

"I’m telling you this guy is protected from up on high by the Prince of Darkness."
The Usual Suspects

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Seems like a shakedown for money, & that the brothers have some real leverage here for civil damages. Don't know how Smollett's team can smear them over a crime the PD says didn't happen.
when did the PD say a crime didn't happen? All the stories that I read, the PD was obstinate that charges should be filed and that their police work was sound and accurate.