Jussie Smollett charges dropped

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Commentator on CNN the other night: "We may never know what really happened that night on the street but now that it's over Smollett just wants to get back to work". Basically, they are still pushing the possibility that it might not have been a hoax, despite strong evidence that it was, and now that it's over that should be it.

That same network on the Mueller report: Trump still guilty, despite zero evidence of it, and now that it's over, that should NOT be it, we need to dig deeper. Two networks in one as Rx likes to say.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
Can't remember where I saw it, but I looked like the brothers were going to testify, and then backed out. Which was part of the reason why the case didn't move forward.

Subsequently, Smolett's team smears the brothers. Nice.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Can't remember where I saw it, but I looked like the brothers were going to testify, and then backed out. Which was part of the reason why the case didn't move forward.

Subsequently, Smolett's team smears the brothers. Nice.

If that is true, I would make a small wager that there was some $$$ exchanging hands to help "convince" the brothers not to testify. I'll also bet you even more that this payment wasn't a check :thumbup:.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The guy was charged with a class 4 Felony and had those charges dropped. in Illinois other class 4 felonies are aggravated assault, stalking, drug possession of a controlled substance, aggravated DUI, driving on a revoked license and theft.

The max penalty is 1yr to 3 years in prison and $25,000 fine and the state is currently looking at making changes to class 4 felony sentences to ensure more people aren't going to jail because of a class 4 felony.

class 4 felonies in the state can be expunged from your record.

Had this not involved some crazy Trump lie scheme cooked up by some gay actor, we would have never heard of it and it most likely would have been dropped anyway since there was no damage to property or person that was not planned before hand by the perpetrators involved

cooking up some conspiracy this guy had his charges dropped because of some connections to political arena is just as weird as this stupid story is to begin with. The guy had charges dropped that were equivalent to getting a stalking charge or driving on a suspended licence dropped.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
The guy had charges dropped that were equivalent to getting a stalking charge or driving on a suspended licence dropped.
Neither of which is remotely equivalent to what he allegedly did. I would think that faking a hate crime for the sole purpose of gaining national spotlight to get yourself a pay raise might be treated a little differently but I guess not...

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Neither of which is remotely equivalent to what he allegedly did. I would think that faking a hate crime for the sole purpose of gaining national spotlight to get yourself a pay raise might be treated a little differently but I guess not...
What he did and what they actually charged him with may be two different things. If the Police wanted this to stick they should have charged him with a higher level felony.

However in the grand scheme of law all they charged him with were disorderly conduct and filing a false police report.

gaining a national spotlight to try to get yourself a pay raise isn't against the law....and his method of "being attacked" wasn't against the law. Just filing a police report and the disorderly conduct caused by it was illegal.

Just think....if this guy had just gone to twitter and made this claim and called the local media and told them to interview him over this claim without filing the police report....none of this would have been illegal at all...and you KNOW with him throwing Trump into the mix it would have received national exposure

It is completely legal to hire someone to hit you if you and the other party both agree on terms and it is completely legal to make an ass out of yourself on a global scale in hopes to get more money.

Pokit N

Cashing Checks & Snapping Necks!
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
South Elgin, IL
What he did and what they actually charged him with may be two different things. If the Police wanted this to stick they should have charged him with a higher level felony.

However in the grand scheme of law all they charged him with were disorderly conduct and filing a false police report.

gaining a national spotlight to try to get yourself a pay raise isn't against the law....and his method of "being attacked" wasn't against the law. Just filing a police report and the disorderly conduct caused by it was illegal.

Just think....if this guy had just gone to twitter and made this claim and called the local media and told them to interview him over this claim without filing the police report....none of this would have been illegal at all...and you KNOW with him throwing Trump into the mix it would have received national exposure

It is completely legal to hire someone to hit you if you and the other party both agree on terms and it is completely legal to make an ass out of yourself on a global scale in hopes to get more money.
It's weird, I specifically remember you defending North Korea when Otto Warmbier was sentenced to 15 yrs hard labor for trying to steal a poster as a souvenir. But these charges...yeah, these are overblown. :derp:

Oct 30, 2007
The guy was charged with a class 4 Felony and had those charges dropped. in Illinois other class 4 felonies are aggravated assault, stalking, drug possession of a controlled substance, aggravated DUI, driving on a revoked license and theft.

The max penalty is 1yr to 3 years in prison and $25,000 fine and the state is currently looking at making changes to class 4 felony sentences to ensure more people aren't going to jail because of a class 4 felony.

class 4 felonies in the state can be expunged from your record.

Had this not involved some crazy Trump lie scheme cooked up by some gay actor, we would have never heard of it and it most likely would have been dropped anyway since there was no damage to property or person that was not planned before hand by the perpetrators involved

cooking up some conspiracy this guy had his charges dropped because of some connections to political arena is just as weird as this stupid story is to begin with. The guy had charges dropped that were equivalent to getting a stalking charge or driving on a suspended licence dropped.
It's very possible that the average person could reach a plea bargain agreement to knock the charges down to misdemeanor, but I don't think there's any chance they could get the charges completely dropped with all the evidence the crime was committed.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK

The white powder in the mail is whats gonna come back and haunt him. The feds really frown on that type of activity.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
https://ndaa.org/wp-content/uploads...-in-High-Profile-Cases.pdf?mod=article_inline

The recent incident in Chicago involving actor Jussie Smollett... has garnered national attention as the case has made its way through various phases of the investigation and prosecution process. While details of the case remain sealed, several observations must be made in order to increase, not diminish, the public’s confidence in the criminal justice system.

First, when a chief prosecutor recuses him or herself, the recusal must apply to the entire office, not just the elected or appointed prosecutor. This is consistent with best practices for prosecutors’ offices around the country.

Second, prosecutors should not take advice from politically connected friends of the accused. Each case should be approached with the goal of justice for victims while protecting the rights of the defendant.

Third, when a prosecutor seeks to resolve a case through diversion or some other alternative to prosecution, it should be done so with an acknowledgement of culpability on the part of the defendant. A case with the consequential effects of Mr. Smollett’s should not be resolved without a finding of guilt or innocence.

Fourth, expunging Mr. Smollett’s record at this immediate stage is counter to transparency. Law enforcement will now not be able to acknowledge that Mr. Smollett was indicted and charged with these horrible crimes and the full record of what occurred will be forever hidden from public view.

...the case in Chicago illustrates a point that must be discussed in an effort to ensure fairness in our criminal justice system: the rich are treated differently, the politically connected receive favorable treatment, and Lady Justice sometimes peeks under her blindfold to see who stands before her. NDAA rejects these inequities as they are antithetical to our founding principles of justice: that no one is above the law.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Lol. Now Smollett's lawyer is demanding the POLICE issue an apology to Jussie and is claiming the brothers wore white makeup.... I feel like I'm in upside down land...