Juneteenth

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Hilarious that suddenly everyone cares about Juneteenth now, but before this year maybe 10% of the country even knew what it was
It's like the year "Earth Day" got so much attention then I found out it had been going on for 38 years.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Pretty fascinating take that you think that people of your religion have more of a duty to heal the wounds of racism than other people and other religions. Is that based in the fact that many if not most of the people actively fighting against change and positive healing dialog also claim Christianity?
Despite the actions of many self proclaimed Christians, Christianity does share some great lessons about treatment of your fellow man. That is to be applauded. @Rack may not have felt he was in a position to speak for others but if someone says as a Hindu we should work to heal the wounds of racism I'm good with that message too.

I have often wondered how people who claim to love the Constitution and the Bible could reconcile their actions with clearly stated opposition to bigotry in both. As flawed as Christians may be (what group of people aren't?) I suspect you agree with many of the values it teaches.

If we're still allowed to have a sense of humor about such things, I have a question. If we drink beer on St Patrick's day and Octoberfest, and Tequila on Cinco De Mayo, what should I drink on Juneteenth?

I'll see myself out.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Despite the actions of many self proclaimed Christians, Christianity does share some great lessons about treatment of your fellow man. That is to be applauded. @Rack may not have felt he was in a position to speak for others but if someone says as a Hindu we should work to heal the wounds of racism I'm good with that message too.

I have often wondered how people who claim to love the Constitution and the Bible could reconcile their actions with clearly stated opposition to bigotry in both. As flawed as Christians may be (what group of people aren't?) I suspect you agree with many of the values it teaches.

If we're still allowed to have a sense of humor about such things, I have a question. If we drink beer on St Patrick's day and Octoberfest, and Tequila on Cinco De Mayo, what should I drink on Juneteenth?

I'll see myself out.
My post wasn’t anything about his religion as much as his feeling that Americans with other faiths have less of a duty in regards to righting those wrongs. He didn’t just say it applies to Christians, he said more. Your Hindu example would be “Everyone should work to heal the wounds of racism, but hindis need to work on it even more.”

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
My post wasn’t anything about his religion as much as his feeling that Americans with other faiths have less of a duty in regards to righting those wrongs. He didn’t just say it applies to Christians, he said more. Your Hindu example would be “Everyone should work to heal the wounds of racism, but hindis need to work on it even more.”
I didn't see it quite that way, but I'm good with either way.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Christians are called to do a lot of things. Listening and learning would be a good first step for many of those that share my faith. It is easy to retreat to your corner and hunker down. It is much harder to try and deal with the problems in front of us as a country.

I absolutely agree with the need for reforms and protections against mistreatment of anyone regardless of their ethnicity or religion. Christ told me to love my neighbor. There weren't a lot of buts on the end of that statement. Simply to love my neighbor. Whose my neighbor you might ask? That's when Jesus told the Parable of the Good Samaritan. In the story the religious authorities refused to help a wounded man who'd been attacked on the road. The Priest and Levite could not be bothered by his troubles and likely feared he might lead to theirselves being in danger.Along come a Samaritan, who were a disdained race of people to the Jews. The Samaritan cleaned the man's wounds and took him to an inn. He paid the innkeeper to look after him while he was away, and promised to pay any extra expenses.

My neighbor is not the comfortable, looks and thinks like me, person that I can easily get along with.

That's what I got from Rack's post, and I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Im not demanding change, people are doing this to signal virtue, protect themselves from claims of racism, and distract from the real issues of poverty and the lack of opportunity for certain communities being imposed by the most powerful people in the world. Its why the same people who pumped 4.2 trillion dollars into the largest and most successful companies on the planet while refusing to help the people with the most need. The oligarchs of this country Love to steer the conversation onto “systemic racism” Because it doesn’t threaten their stranglehold on power. It isn’t systemic racism that is holding people down, it is systemic and optimized crony capitalism that has hijacked our democracy and now holds every lever of power. Every breath we spend, every electron that is fired over the internet, every knee taken, kente cloth worn and virtue signal press release by a large corporation is not in service of anti racism or in favor of the plight of oppressed people of any shade. It is the cynical preservation of power of the rich and powerful and the status quo that has benefited them so greatly and denied opportunity to poor people in this country.
Best post I've seen on this topic in the last month.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Pretty fascinating take that you think that people of your religion have more of a duty to heal the wounds of racism than other people and other religions. Is that based in the fact that many if not most of the people actively fighting against change and positive healing dialog also claim Christianity?
240 Million Americans "claim" Christianity...does that make them all so? Don't look to Christians...look to Christ.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
240 Million Americans "claim" Christianity...does that make them all so? Don't look to Christians...look to Christ.
All I have learned from asking this question is it does not matter what you even say in a sentence if the sentence contains the word "Christianity" in it you are going to get a defense of that, not an answer to whatever it was you were asking.

Well, since I won't get an explanation of your opinion no matter how I explain the question, I will tell you what I feel. Racism is a human problem, not a faith-based one. One particular faith has no greater or lesser duty to combat it than another. We all have the same duty.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
All I have learned from asking this question is it does not matter what you even say in a sentence if the sentence contains the word "Christianity" in it you are going to get a defense of that, not an answer to whatever it was you were asking.

Well, since I won't get an explanation of your opinion no matter how I explain the question, I will tell you what I feel. Racism is a human problem, not a faith-based one. One particular faith has no greater or lesser duty to combat it than another. We all have the same duty.
sure...However, I do see only one faith as being true so it's the only one capable to bring real forgiveness and change. So, yeah, we all have that duty, but most will spin their wheels without a clear and deep understanding of undeserved grace and forgivness.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
We should ALL learn what Juneteenth is about today and be kind to our fellow citizens of all races, as we should everyday. It is our duty as Americans, and more so for us Christians, to not only understand history but to welcome change and invite positive healing dialog with those who haven't understood it for prides and arrogance sake. This is a good day to make progress in not only our own lives, but in the life of our football team and Oklahoma State. I'm hopeful that coach and the team can grasp this opportunity when so many others have failed. Love>Politics and History>Hate.

Challenge yourself to actually learn something new today...it's an interesting story, Juneteenth, and one we should all embrace and celebrate as it was the announcement of a liberation of a people who were still enslaved in Texas, more than two years after their freedom elsewhere...This despite even the South's (and Texas) loss of the war between the states (aka 'Civil" War). In the days of mass and instant communication and education for all, this is very hard for us to understand and takes some willingness to learn and educate ourselves to just how free ALL of us are now are compared to our brutal and, unequal, but also shared past. It is never too late to learn, and it is never too late for you personally to make someone else's American Experience better...I honestly think Gundy is learning this, why not also be a part? Reach out to someone of another race (especially a black brother or sister of America and Christ). Show them that not all people of your race are like the one or two, (or more) they have had difficulty with in their life...I do think as Christians of all races this is our duty....to understand our DEEP need for daily Grace and to be salt and light in a world that needs it more today than at any point in my lifetime anyway.

In Downtown Tulsa today and tomorrow two separate rally's will be held...it is my HOPE and PRAYER that neither rally will result in mass division but that each will take the real meaning of Dr. Kings I have a dream speech to heart and foster UNITY not DIVISION. The Quick Trips downtown are all boarded up in sad anticipation of what I hope and pray will NOT come to this city. Please PRAY for Tulsa Today and tomorrow and if you are a Tulsan make your LIGHT SHINE to those different from you...Open a door, find a way to praise someone, be totally kind and show LOVE.

LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE!!

AND May God Bless YOU and the USA today and tomorrow!
Conservative Christians were a large majority of those wanting to end slavery to begin with. Everyone always seems to gloss over or forget that fact.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Hilarious that suddenly everyone cares about Juneteenth now, but before this year maybe 10% of the country even knew what it was
It's like the year "Earth Day" got so much attention then I found out it had been going on for 38 years.
Did you also know that it was started by a guy that composted his girlfriend?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk