Juneteenth

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We should ALL learn what Juneteenth is about today and be kind to our fellow citizens of all races, as we should everyday. It is our duty as Americans, and more so for us Christians, to not only understand history but to welcome change and invite positive healing dialog with those who haven't understood it for prides and arrogance sake. This is a good day to make progress in not only our own lives, but in the life of our football team and Oklahoma State. I'm hopeful that coach and the team can grasp this opportunity when so many others have failed. Love>Politics and History>Hate.

Challenge yourself to actually learn something new today...it's an interesting story, Juneteenth, and one we should all embrace and celebrate as it was the announcement of a liberation of a people who were still enslaved in Texas, more than two years after their freedom elsewhere...This despite even the South's (and Texas) loss of the war between the states (aka 'Civil" War). In the days of mass and instant communication and education for all, this is very hard for us to understand and takes some willingness to learn and educate ourselves to just how free ALL of us are now are compared to our brutal and, unequal, but also shared past. It is never too late to learn, and it is never too late for you personally to make someone else's American Experience better...I honestly think Gundy is learning this, why not also be a part? Reach out to someone of another race (especially a black brother or sister of America and Christ). Show them that not all people of your race are like the one or two, (or more) they have had difficulty with in their life...I do think as Christians of all races this is our duty....to understand our DEEP need for daily Grace and to be salt and light in a world that needs it more today than at any point in my lifetime anyway.

In Downtown Tulsa today and tomorrow two separate rally's will be held...it is my HOPE and PRAYER that neither rally will result in mass division but that each will take the real meaning of Dr. Kings I have a dream speech to heart and foster UNITY not DIVISION. The Quick Trips downtown are all boarded up in sad anticipation of what I hope and pray will NOT come to this city. Please PRAY for Tulsa Today and tomorrow and if you are a Tulsan make your LIGHT SHINE to those different from you...Open a door, find a way to praise someone, be totally kind and show LOVE.

LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE!!

AND May God Bless YOU and the USA today and tomorrow!

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2011
Hilarious that suddenly everyone cares about Juneteenth now, but before this year maybe 10% of the country even knew what it was

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Hilarious that suddenly everyone cares about Juneteenth now, but before this year maybe 10% of the country even knew what it was
It's important to understand history...I think it's good and progress that people are diving into learning...not in anyway, hilarious, except for to the cynical and unforgiving. Why wouldn't you embrace that? I would think you would be excited about the fact that people can and will grow as they embrace lifelong learning and more passionately their own faith and it's real teachings...rather than just shallow dogma and self righteousness. In this time of division it's very important that we reach out, on all sides, to those whom in the past we may have disagreed with. Find that shared history, that shared experience, don't make enemies of one another based on only some experiences but look for and offer grace, love, and understanding to each other..

Cody51- when you demand change and then get it...it shouldn't be funny but a time of Joy.

Sep 22, 2011
It's important to understand history...I think it's good and progress that people are diving into learning...not in anyway, hilarious, except for to the cynical and unforgiving. Why wouldn't you embrace that? I would think you would be excited about the fact that people can and will grow as they embrace lifelong learning and more passionately their own faith and it's real teachings...rather than just shallow dogma and self righteousness. In this time of division it's very important that we reach out, on all sides, to those whom in the past we may have disagreed with. Find that shared history, that shared experience, don't make enemies of one another based on only some experiences but look for and offer grace, love, and understanding to each other..

Cody51- when you demand change and then get it...it shouldn't be funny but a time of Joy.
Im not demanding change, people are doing this to signal virtue, protect themselves from claims of racism, and distract from the real issues of poverty and the lack of opportunity for certain communities being imposed by the most powerful people in the world. Its why the same people who pumped 4.2 trillion dollars into the largest and most successful companies on the planet while refusing to help the people with the most need. The oligarchs of this country Love to steer the conversation onto “systemic racism” Because it doesn’t threaten their stranglehold on power. It isn’t systemic racism that is holding people down, it is systemic and optimized crony capitalism that has hijacked our democracy and now holds every lever of power. Every breath we spend, every electron that is fired over the internet, every knee taken, kente cloth worn and virtue signal press release by a large corporation is not in service of anti racism or in favor of the plight of oppressed people of any shade. It is the cynical preservation of power of the rich and powerful and the status quo that has benefited them so greatly and denied opportunity to poor people in this country.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Seriousness for a moment: Juneteenth is a great idea.

For some of us, including me, we talk about people like Chuba and how he could have used this as opportunity for healing as opposed to divisiveness. We see again and again that the cancel culture wants their pound of flesh and bemoan them for it. Well, here's our big opportunity for healing. This could mean something to everyone: a celebration of the US's recognition of rights to a larger portion of the population.

I'd actually like to amend the date of Juneteenth. Put it on June 28th, and make it a week long celebration of the extension of rights to minorities, women, everyone. Ends on the fourth of July. It almost makes too much sense, which means it probably won't happen, haha.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
My first exposure to Juneteenth was about 30 years ago when one of my new coworkers told me about it. He wasn't at work that morning but showed up at our daily noontime BB game. When i asked him where he'd been that morning he told me he always took off Juneteenth. When he saw my blank white faced look he very nicely but pointedly explained it to me. And he continued to take it off the 15+ years we worked together.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
It is our duty as Americans, and more so for us Christians, to not only understand history but to welcome change and invite positive healing dialog with those who haven't understood it for prides and arrogance sake.
Pretty fascinating take that you think that people of your religion have more of a duty to heal the wounds of racism than other people and other religions. Is that based in the fact that many if not most of the people actively fighting against change and positive healing dialog also claim Christianity?

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Pretty fascinating take that you think that people of your religion have more of a duty to heal the wounds of racism than other people and other religions. Is that based in the fact that many if not most of the people actively fighting against change and positive healing dialog also claim Christianity?
As a group African-Americans claim Christianity more than any other in the USA. Does that make them self hating?