Judgement

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Anslinger has said years before that marijuana wasn’t of concern, I don’t remember the quote but he said something to the effect of, absurd fallacy, when he was asked about mj causing people to become violent or act strange. However when faced with losing his job, one he had only held for a short while, he changed course. Was Anslinger a racist, I don’t know and frankly, for all your googling, you don’t either.

What we do know is that he changed positions on the legality of the substance and that coincided with the prospect of the loss of a pretty cushy and highly compensated job.
I don’t know how the search function on this site works anymore I don’t seem to find much but I do know I posted about this in one of several thousand other threads on this topic.

You seem to go into attack mode a lot quicker than you used to or maybe I was just away so long it just seems that way.
Was that statement to Congress racist or not?

And, I always crack up when you complain about others googling as if you just know everything and don’t use resources the same way.

This is a subject that I know a lot about. The idea that racism did not play a part in the prohibition of cannabis a century ago is frankly laughable in my opinion. It is like claiming that Jim Crow laws were simply to protect black people. The thought exists, it just isn’t accepted.

And, he attacked me, BTW. What is
considered a defense or an attack on these message boards completely depends on the biases of the judge. But, you are correct, this place at one time years ago was very educational to me. Then it dropped to interesting discussion. Now it is a battering of any opinion that doesn’t fall in line with the majority. I think I’ve had enough. Factual statements are ignored, people simply like posts that agree with the opinion they already hold. What is the point of that?

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
It's actually part of marijuana culture. It became illegal in part, because the Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men,”. All the way until 2015, where black and brown people were stopped and frisked more than whites in NYCs famous stop and frisk campaign.

Even the word marijuana was being used instead of cannabis, because it's the Spanish word. Believe it or not, back in the 30's, hispanics were not well received.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/timeline.com/amp/p/fb5cbc281189

Great timeline on how it became the new fund generator after alcohol prohibition ended. All because of jazz and marijuana use among non whites. The federal government didn't schedule I it for your protection. Almost every instance of laws passing for "our" protection seem generally the opposite.

2017 the stop and frisk program revealed that almost 90% stopped were non white. So, racism not only played a role in structuring marijuana as illegal but continues until very recent times.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop-and-frisk_in_New_York_City
But what percentage of the actual criminals in New York are black?? Not saying the stop and frisk program was constitutional (don't think it was), but the percentage is probably right on with statistics and a non-starter for me.

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
Anslinger has said years before that marijuana wasn’t of concern, I don’t remember the quote but he said something to the effect of, absurd fallacy, when he was asked about mj causing people to become violent or act strange. However when faced with losing his job, one he had only held for a short while, he changed course. Was Anslinger a racist, I don’t know and frankly, for all your googling, you don’t either.

What we do know is that he changed positions on the legality of the substance and that coincided with the prospect of the loss of a pretty cushy and highly compensated job.
I don’t know how the search function on this site works anymore I don’t seem to find much but I do know I posted about this in one of several thousand other threads on this topic.

You seem to go into attack mode a lot quicker than you used to or maybe I was just away so long it just seems that way.
To say you don't know Anslinger was a racist is to basically not bother to even look. This was a guy whose own senator from Pennsylvania said he should retire because he used the n-word too often in official police memos (and this was the 20s/30s!). This is a guy who used racist scare tactics in his war on marijuana, and a guy who kept his office relevant by specifically targeting minorities.

This is a guy that kept a marijuana and musicians hit list targeting jazz musicians. This is a guy who had Billie Holiday handcuffed on her death bed (and harassed her most of her career).

You can pretend to not know if he's racist or not, but when a majority of his actions are blatantly racist, you may want to consider it a possibility.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
To say you don't know Anslinger was a racist is to basically not bother to even look. This was a guy whose own senator from Pennsylvania said he should retire because he used the n-word too often in official police memos (and this was the 20s/30s!). This is a guy who used racist scare tactics in his war on marijuana, and a guy who kept his office relevant by specifically targeting minorities.

This is a guy that kept a marijuana and musicians hit list targeting jazz musicians. This is a guy who had Billie Holiday handcuffed on her death bed (and harassed her most of her career).

You can pretend to not know if he's racist or not, but when a majority of his actions are blatantly racist, you may want to consider it a possibility.
I never said he was or wasn’t but that was never the topic, nice straw man.
You’ve presented a great case that he was a racist and I’m not going to rush to the Internet to prove or disprove, I’ll acknowledge your professional search engine skills.

It was said that the issue of marijuana was an issue of race and following your lead, his actions indicate it wasn’t. This is fairly typical, someone makes a claim on a specific issue and that proves false, find an extraneous comment from the person who addressed the issue and go after that.

I’ll say it differently to appease those whose senses have been offended. I don’t know if Anslinger was a racist, however the case that he was has been shown to have a very strong probability.
He was not a proponent of the illegalization of marijuana until faced with the prospect of his federal department being eliminated at which point he changed his position 180 degrees.

Iow, race wasn’t the issue, the demographics of the US didn’t dramatically shift to the point the US was suddenly overrun by Latino and black Americans between 1930 and 1933, job security was.

Last edited: