Judgement

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
JNJ stock is up about 4-5 bucks AH on this news. So Wall Street thought it could have been a much larger award
Amazing, and I"m sure that also prices in all the additional judgments that are sure to follow from other states. If that doesn't underscore how fucked up our medical system is, I don't know what does.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
where's Rx? I'm just reflecting back on the olden days when the medicine cabinets were awash with Valium, Percocet and the like... are these "opiods" different, and when and why did the change happen?

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I kicked a pain killer issue 16 years ago all by myself. Just like I developed the problem all by myself. I did nothing but kick MYSELF for being stupid enough to go to a pill mill for back issues that could have been fixed by losing weight and exercise. I never once thought about suing the drug maker or any other party in the chain.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I kicked a pain killer issue 16 years ago all by myself. Just like I developed the problem all by myself. I did nothing but kick MYSELF for being stupid enough to go to a pill mill for back issues that could have been fixed by losing weight and exercise. I never once thought about suing the drug maker or any other party in the chain.
That's racist. Your white privilege is showing.

You are white, aren't you?

Aug 16, 2012
Never hold up on appeal unless a direct transfer from the manufacturer to the user can be made. There is a middle man, doctors, who IMO are the ones responsible. Just read a story where a Florida doctor prescribed over 800,000 pills over a 16 month period including over 10k to one patient, a pregnant patient at that, over a few months. He is in jail for the rest of his life and there needs to be more that follow.

Nov 6, 2010
I get the individual responsibility aspect, I really do, but surely you at least can recognize some culpability when the manufacturers were selling quantities of pills into certain areas that far exceeded the population in some instances. There is responsibility to go around on this deal, and those at the top of the food chain certainly bear some part of that.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
JNJ stock is up about 4-5 bucks AH on this news. So Wall Street thought it could have been a much larger award
Or JNJ had already financially accounted for a negative verdict and had made sure the anlyst community was aware
BTW this also means your costs for their products will go up whenever one side gets something the other side pays for it, no free lunches, unless you're at an episode of oprah

John C

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2011
What’s next? Will the State sue Braum’s for making their delicious ice cream which is making all of us fat? Jack Daniels for causing so many people to be drunks? How about a combo suit against Tylenol and Jack Daniels because we aren’t supposed to take Tylenol when consuming alcohol and we cannot possibly be held accountable for our own actions?

I’m dismayed at seeing people who say shootings are the fault of the shooter and not the gun manufacturers now making the opposite claim with respect to the JNJ case. JNJ should say “F*** Oklahoma, we aren’t going to supply your pharmacies with any more of these products. You want them, you have to go to a pharmacy in a different state.”

Mar 11, 2006
I get the individual responsibility aspect, I really do, but surely you at least can recognize some culpability when the manufacturers were selling quantities of pills into certain areas that far exceeded the population in some instances. There is responsibility to go around on this deal, and those at the top of the food chain certainly bear some part of that.
Are we going to start suing cereal and soft drink companies for excessive sugar? Starbucks for too much caffeine?

Aug 16, 2012
What’s next? Will the State sue Braum’s for making their delicious ice cream which is making all of us fat? Jack Daniels for causing so many people to be drunks? How about a combo suit against Tylenol and Jack Daniels because we aren’t supposed to take Tylenol when consuming alcohol and we cannot possibly be held accountable for our own actions?

I’m dismayed at seeing people who say shootings are the fault of the shooter and not the gun manufacturers now making the opposite claim with respect to the JNJ case. JNJ should say “F*** Oklahoma, we aren’t going to supply your pharmacies with any more of these products. You want them, you have to go to a pharmacy in a different state.”
Are we going to start suing cereal and soft drink companies for excessive sugar? Starbucks for too much caffeine?
It is all about the money. Judicial protocol, morality, whatever you want to call it is a false narrative. Big pharma is being sued because the have the deeper pocketa

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
The first level of responsibility is on the Drs. The drug company literally can’t distribute the pills without prescriptions. (I understand there is illegal distribution but that’s not coming from the back of JNJ wear house.)

I had some back pain about a year back wanted to see the ortho that had worked on my paw paw they said I needed an MRI and referral went to a local doc to get all that and I repeatedly turned down pills from him. He asked over and over if I wanted something for the pain.....said no....kept asking....like he was actively trying to get me to accept script meds. There is a “pain management” center on every corner. Big pharma isn’t innocent they know what’s going on but people can’t get the drugs without the dealers. The difference here is there isn’t an endless supply of people in trailers to crank out meth or broke kids to sell weed. It’s licensed medical doctors there is an easy way to crack down on them.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
The first level of responsibility is on the Drs. The drug company literally can’t distribute the pills without prescriptions. (I understand there is illegal distribution but that’s not coming from the back of JNJ wear house.)

I had some back pain about a year back wanted to see the ortho that had worked on my paw paw they said I needed an MRI and referral went to a local doc to get all that and I repeatedly turned down pills from him. He asked over and over if I wanted something for the pain.....said no....kept asking....like he was actively trying to get me to accept script meds. There is a “pain management” center on every corner. Big pharma isn’t innocent they know what’s going on but people can’t get the drugs without the dealers. The difference here is there isn’t an endless supply of people in trailers to crank out meth or broke kids to sell weed. It’s licensed medical doctors there is an easy way to crack down on them.
And why do you think those doctors would do that? I mean, he doesn’t make the money from a script. He sees back pain and prescribe Motrin/flexeril or prescribes Percocet he gets the exact same pay as it is the exact same e&m level. Not counting illegal pill mills, what incentive does the doc have to talk you into taking pain pills like that?

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
And why do you think those doctors would do that? I mean, he doesn’t make the money from a script. He sees back pain and prescribe Motrin/flexeril or prescribes Percocet he gets the exact same pay as it is the exact same e&m level. Not counting illegal pill mills, what incentive does the doc have to talk you into taking pain pills like that?
Repeat business?

I’m not indicting the entire field but Dr. Steross prescribes x and dr Donnyboy prescribes 100x it’s worth a look. And maybe there is a good reason my number is 100x but that’s where the scrutiny needs to be begin because this crisis started by prescribing too much of too powerful medicine.

Last edited:

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I would guess the doctors saw some form of compensation (even if it was food or golfing and not exactly monetary) from the drug manufacturers and also saw a bunch of stuff from them saying these are not really that addictive anyway...