John Helsley practice report today

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 3, 2009
Boone's Farm
Asked about Lunt. Said he was good.
Asked about Littlehead. Said he didnt know what is going to happen.
Talked about Justin Gilbert and the new kickoff rule. How it will effect return game. Doesn't know.
Talked about Arizona game not being on Cox.

Basically no real news to report which is good at this point I guess.

JoshOSU420

Athletic Supporter
Aug 12, 2004
OKC
Sam Mayes is horrible at practice reports. Never has any real news to report, just all coach speak......wait.

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
Asked about Lunt. Said he was good.
Asked about Littlehead. Said he didnt know what is going to happen.
Talked about Justin Gilbert and the new kickoff rule. How it will effect return game. Doesn't know.
Talked about Arizona game not being on Cox.

Basically no real news to report which is good at this point I guess.
Actually he said that since Littlehead is actually practicing and not riding a bike on the sidelines that he feels he may be on the team moving forward. He didnt have any hard info but that was his guess based on the way Gundy has handled these situations before.

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
“I've always followed the policy that guys are relatively innocent until proven guilty,” Gundy told reporters after Saturday's scrimmage. “And that's the only way that we can do things. Oklahoma State people have to trust that once I get the information, I'm going to do what's best for this school."
Yeah, I guess things can change......who knows.

Aug 3, 2009
Boone's Farm
Just heard Pat on there and was pleasantly surprised with his analysis of the scrimmage. Seemed like he really knew what was going on. Refreshing to hear someone give some kind of report on people not named Wes Lunt. Although he did give his opinion on Lunt which was mostly positive.

Not sure if you guys heard what he said or not but basically, said he was impressed with the team physically. Specifically the young receivers and the defensive line. Talked about Gilbert being "extremely gifted but raw". Said we should win a lot of games. Anyway, it was encouraging since most of Pat's analysis generally seems fairly negative. Say what you will about Pat but the guy does a pretty good job of evaluating talent.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I think Pat definitely does the best job media wise of evaluating talent. Hopefully he'll speak more about it at noon during my lunch.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Just heard Pat on there and was pleasantly surprised with his analysis of the scrimmage. Seemed like he really knew what was going on. Refreshing to hear someone give some kind of report on people not named Wes Lunt. Although he did give his opinion on Lunt which was mostly positive.

Not sure if you guys heard what he said or not but basically, said he was impressed with the team physically. Specifically the young receivers and the defensive line. Talked about Gilbert being "extremely gifted but raw". Said we should win a lot of games. Anyway, it was encouraging since most of Pat's analysis generally seems fairly negative. Say what you will about Pat but the guy does a pretty good job of evaluating talent.
[obilgatory "and what not" or "by and large"]

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Pat Jones talks more about NFL. raw for NFL talent. Pat saying some good things is nice but he never blows up someone too much. He's always says... I'm not saying he is (insert a name). He never goes on a limb. I don't enjoy his commentary because he never says this guy has great speed is fast, strong, good at this or that. He gets too tongue tied. Nice guy but annoying.

I'm not saying he is Hart Lee Dykes lol. Geez get over it man. Also he said I'm not saying anyone is Dez Bryant in spring of 2009 and then enter Justin Blackmon who was as good as Dez Bryant. Pat has decent judging but as far as individuals he NEVER gives you much prediction wise. Also underplays guys IMHO.

Jul 17, 2007
I'm not a huge Pat Jones fan. I don't think he is good at evaluating talent. He has been wrong about our team since Gundy has been head coach. Guys that have been superstars for us, he has pegged as just being ok until they break out. Then once they break out then they are all of a sudden great players to him. Same thing on defense. Every year he says no one stands out in practice. Once season starts, it's as if he went to all of those practices with his eyes closed.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
Pat Jones talks more about NFL. raw for NFL talent. Pat saying some good things is nice but he never blows up someone too much. He's always says... I'm not saying he is (insert a name). He never goes on a limb. I don't enjoy his commentary because he never says this guy has great speed is fast, strong, good at this or that. He gets too tongue tied. Nice guy but annoying.

I'm not saying he is Hart Lee Dykes lol. Geez get over it man. Also he said I'm not saying anyone is Dez Bryant in spring of 2009 and then enter Justin Blackmon who was as good as Dez Bryant. Pat has decent judging but as far as individuals he NEVER gives you much prediction wise. Also underplays guys IMHO.
Always find it interesting and amusing when someone critiques someone in another profession. Having no experience as a football coach, or a tv or radio personality, you find it in your ability to trash someone who has accomplished those things. So tell me, what would you do in the Middile East? I mean you have about as much business giving your opinion on that as you do Pat.

Nov 12, 2007
Tulsa, Okla.
Also he said I'm not saying anyone is Dez Bryant in spring of 2009 and then enter Justin Blackmon who was as good as Dez Bryant.
To be fair, Pat was talking raw, visible talent. And despite his greater production, Blackmon was not/is not as talented as Dez Bryant.

Dez was a threat to score every time he touched the ball. Blackmon was a great receiver, but he just not as talented as Dez Bryant.

Who knows what kind of eye-popping stats Dez would have put up in the Holgerson/Leach system with Brandon Weeden playing QB...

Jul 12, 2011
So... What does "relatively innocent until proven guilty" mean?
just ask the DWill case jury.

For reals, I'm happy to see him with the team until that's all figured out. He has a problem, and I think Coach and the University can help, or at least more than being tossed in the street.