JH head coach

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
You know what I am through with all your idiots on here! The day where you can actually talk about sports and be civil about are long gone on here. Most of you need to get a life! OUT!
hmmm, looks like someone took their ball and went home.......

Jul 28, 2006
Gotta give him a couple years in the new yard. He's been very competitive with little to do it with. Needs a good hitting coach more than anything. I'm still a Holiday backer.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
I for one am grateful for Josh. Before he got back here, the apathy for our baseball team was getting pretty thick. He has brought back excitement and we wouldn't be getting a new stadium without him and what he has done in his time in Stilly. That said, our poor approach at the plate is a pretty strong pattern over now all of his seasons. I happen to watch a lot of Texas Longhorn baseball. (I hate them but I'm desperate for college baseball on tv and because of the Longhorn Network it's readily available). They took #1 LSU to the woodshed this weekend and I was just in awe at their approaches at the plate. Most of their kids know game situations and adjust accordingly. When it's time to try to hit one out they do that. When it's time to shorten up and punch a line drive to the outfield, they do that. When its time to hit a ground ball to move a runner over, they do that. It was pretty impressive and keep in mind they are playing at least 3 freshmen. My son and I also have season tickets at Dallas Baptist. Same thing. Their kids know the situations that they are in and adjust at the plate accordingly. I don't know much about rotational vs linear hitting but I can see these other 2 programs adjusting approaches at the plate and consequently they both have pretty good successes at the plate. I'd just like to see our kids make adjustments and it doesn't look like they do. Way too many strikeouts and as I've always been told nothing is gained by strikeouts. Putting the ball in play is a good thing most of the time and we don't always do that. Long way to say I'd like to see improvement and if that's getting a different hitting coach in here, or allowing someone else on staff have some hitting coach responsibilities, or hiring Matt, I'd like to see something else. I love the overall feel and direction of our program and can't wait for the new stadium. If you can't have success with those facilities then there's definitely an issue. Go Pokes!

Jul 28, 2006
this is baseball, not football, we're talking about. there's a reason baseball teams play so many games. b/c anyone can beat anyone of a given day/weekend. remember when fresno st won the CWS? Coastal Carolina? I thought you said you knew what you were talking about?
Matt often consulted his brother for hitting instruction.

Aug 1, 2008
Uhh...
Who do you think has been Matt Holliday's hitting instructor?

Who do you think taught Matt Holliday his hitting approach?

Matt uses a split Rhythm linear approach to hitting, which is exactly what Josh holiday is teaching at Oklahoma State.

The split rhythm is timing for a fastball away to breaking ball in to over the plate.

The linear approach is point A to point B from that fastball to the breaking balls.

Kids nowadays want to be rotational hitters as 95% of major league baseball hitters are.

They're being taught to hunt pitches in certain locations instead of looking fastball and adjusting to breaking ball to be able to cover the plate.

If he's going to make a change, it needs to be changing towards a more rotational hunting approach instead of his linear cover the plate aporoach.

That's because the vast majority of kids he's recruiting have been taught rotational mechanics and the "Hunt" approach, instead of the "cover" approach.

So, he's basically having to teach them an entirely new approach.

The more success a kid has had in their career, the less likely they are to buy into a new approach

Even if it's an approach that they need to buy into to have success at the next level.

They have to fail before they buy into anything new.

To add to the difficulty, Josh likes to recruit big kids, and those kids nowadays are getting hitting instruction from guys who are teaching them to swing up and hit fly balls because they don't actually understand what matching the plane of the pitch to create a successful launch angle is.

But his way of doing things has been very successful, and although we have struggled a touch offensively in the recent past, there is no need to overcorrect and swerve off the road because of it.

From strictly a swing mechanics perspective, our swings look better than they have in a while.

Cade is in better control of his mechanics than he ever has been.

McCusker has met in the middle from his severe uppercut to more of a line drive plane to his swing.

Tank is really the only one that hasn't bought in and still wants to lean back in his posture which creates more of an upwardly plane to his swing than the degree the pitch is dropping.

Thus, instead of matching the plane of the pitch, he's having to intercept it, which means he has to have almost perfect timing, which is why he always struggles early in seasons.

Because he doesn't match the plane of the pitch he relies too much on great timing instead of "buying time" by matching planes, and timing is never good early in the year for hitters.
After watching the first ten games, I would say Matt Holliday's linear approach is NOT working. And, no we do not need another Holliday as a coach!!!!!

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
"Illusions commend themselves to us because they save us pain and allow us to enjoy pleasure instead. We must therefore accept it without complaint when they sometimes collide with a bit of reality against which they are dashed to pieces."

Sigmund Freud

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
We nearly got swept by a bad Iowa team and I am afraid we will get killed by Wichita State tomorrow. I don't understand why Josh's teams stumble out the gate year after year.
anyways.......... btw, we didn't play them tomorrow, we played them on Wednesday, which is now yesterday.......

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I never said Holiday has done an average job...don't put those words in my mouth
If you won't say it I will. Holiday needs to look at whom he has to live up to and might ought to get on the phone to get some lessons in coaching hitting. THE GOAT coach of OSU baseball is Gary Ward, not Tom Holliday, not Frank Anderson. The success of our program should be measured by the years of Ward, not the mediocrity since Ward retired. How many conference titles does little holiday have? One? Only thirteen more to go or in the Ward World that would be fourteen in a row more to go.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
If you won't say it I will. Holiday needs to look at whom he has to live up to and might ought to get on the phone to get some lessons in coaching hitting. THE GOAT coach of OSU baseball is Gary Ward, not Tom Holliday, not Frank Anderson. The success of our program should be measured by the years of Ward, not the mediocrity since Ward retired. How many conference titles does little holiday have? One? Only thirteen more to go or in the Ward World that would be fourteen in a row more to go.
Okay, I’ll bite. Go to YouTube and watch/listen to the entire Cowboys vs Shockers game. You’ll hear the voice of the GOAT talking about a few things. Listen to him, believe him, trust him. He lays things out pretty well regarding the current state of the program, how things have changed from the past, the current leadership, and the direction of the program. If you won’t listen to Ward himself and trust that he knows what he’s talking about, then shut up about him.