Jermie Calhoun leaving OU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Former 5 star recruit...the no1 running back and no 7 overall recruit in ESPNU's 150 in the class of 2008 will leave OU.

He becomes the second running back to transfer from OU this month

Calhoun suffered a serious knee injury against Colorado in 2010 and has not made the depth chart this year behind, Whaley, Finch and Clay

The #1 and #2 running back prospects of the class of 2008 both signed with Big XII schools...but both have transfered. Calhoun with OU and Darrell Scott signed with Colorado...but transfered in 2009 to South Florida

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/33538/former-five-star-running-back-will-leave-ou

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
Let me preface the local goons comments..."We didn't need him anymore, we have 3-4 others on the bench that are better, sour grapes, yada, yada, yada".

Mar 27, 2008
From what I've heard, he's had trouble getting his leg back in shape since his injury. That with the emergence of Whaley, Roy Finch, and Clay he probably wasn't going to see the field much.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
He was not going to be seeing the field. He had a couple of scrimmages where the coaches talked him up but is near the bottom of the depth chart. Hopefully he and Jonathan Miller will succeed somewhere else.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
Did he get any carries? I just dont understand why start the season and then leave. Wont he have to count this season as far as eligibility goes?

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
He was probably hoping Whaley wouldnt have looked as good as he did.
well I now see Stoops even questions the timing of it. Why not stay the rest of the season and at least get some practice time or mop up duty when you play Ball state?
No, he never got any carries. He only had 11 carries last year.
so does he not lose a year for this season or would he have to use a red shirt for that or can he even redshirt since he left the team.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
well I now see Stoops even questions the timing of it. Why not stay the rest of the season and at least get some practice time or mop up duty when you play Ball state?
I think we are so deep that he wouldn't have even gotten snaps against Ball State. You guys haven't even seen the freshman Brandon Williams who is supposed to be a future stud. They are practicing him and say he will play. He is definitely above the two that transferred.

so does he not lose a year for this season or would he have to use a red shirt for that or can he even redshirt since he left the team.
I'm not sure how the NCAA handles transfers. Even though he didn't play, I think he still has to sit out a year because he was enrolled at OU. I could be wrong though.

OSU_CC

Territorial Marshal
Dec 4, 2010
Maybe I don't pay attention to OU football but the only RB I recognize is Finch.

I guess recognition will come with time.
How well do you all think Whaley will play vs. bigger defenses?
I know he made Tulsa look silly

Sep 8, 2011
Maybe I don't pay attention to OU football but the only RB I recognize is Finch.

I guess recognition will come with time.
How well do you all think Whaley will play vs. bigger defenses?
I know he made Tulsa look silly
Finch was preseason All-Big XII and he is the Sooners 3rd string running back. Can't tell if that means that OU's RB position is just STACKED or the voters are dumb

Jun 1, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Let me preface the local goons comments..."We didn't need him anymore, we have 3-4 others on the bench that are better, sour grapes, yada, yada, yada".
Which would be exactly something many OSU fans would say had it been one of their own.

I wish he would have panned out and not gotten hurt. But since his injury in 2010, he hasnt been anywhere close to seeing the field.

So you can actually say OU didn't need him since he was not seeing the field.

I wish him luck in his move and hope he succeeds in whatever he wishes to do.

Jun 1, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
From what I am hearing he isnt transferring until Spring Semester.

He probably did it now so he can save a year of eligibility. Since Stoops knows he wants to back out, he can red shirt him and Calhoun will have another season.

That said, if he does leave before this semester is over, and he hasnt had a red shirt year, yes, this year would be counted as his red shirt year.