Jalen McClesky transferring

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
To be fair, ever since Monken left he has been pretty romanticized on this board. People think he was the second coming.... I always thought he was a great coordinator and continue to think that way.

I don't think MY is a great OC. However, I think he is a good OC. We will see this year if he truly is a great OC. He needs to retailor this offense to suit the talents that the current players have. IMO we need more quick passes to help out the O-line and more creative runs and screens. I don't think a great OC should struggle to figure that out.

We will see.
That's all fine and good unless you know from spending hours on the practice field you don't have the players to make it happen.

I learned my lesson years ago when I was a student at OSU. I wondered why Johnson wasn't calling this play or that play. Then he moved on and you know the rest of the story. I came to the conclusion there was a reason he called the plays he did and it had everything to do with his knowledge of the game and his athletes, not mine or my opinions!

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
The fact that you can even dream of such a scenario is largely due to the head coach some of you want gone every time we lose a game. Ten years ago an 8 win season was a massive accomplishment. Someday you'll get what you wish for...at least part of it. Who will you blame then?
First and foremost -- NO ONE is calling for Gundy to be replaced!
For fans to simply second guess the headcoach is as much a part of the football culture as anything, but when you give to hyperbole that fans are calling for Gundy to be fired is ridiculous or simply poor reading comprehension.

Second, the acceptance of mediocrity from old fans is annoying with that, "We should be thankful with 8 wins because we used to suck." stuff.
That's not the attitude of champions.

You think Boone Pickens contributed all of his millions to support mediocrity at 8 win seasons? Where would Boone or Mike Holder any of our leaders be being thankful for "just not totally sucking". When one wants success and wants to be the best, he doesn't dwell on his medium results.
Some people may be satisfied with living in a small house in the country, getting that small bonus for being at the plant for over 20 years and thanking God that at least they're not living in their parents trailer anymore. For them that's their success story.

An 8 win season that used to be a WOW season is now a bad one. Expectations have increased and most of the OSU fans I know like it and demand more. Our largest benefactor, our AD, our HCs and all of our teams want more. The golf and wrestling teams are running at peak demands and getting results. Not one guy on those teams is happy with mediocrity and neither should our football team.

Let's get that old thinking out of here forever.
A) Gundy's head HAS been called for repeatedly on this site for years. B) Nobody said anything about 8 win seasons being the norm. I'd suggest you work on your reading comprehension before calling someone else out for theirs.

Ten win seasons, like we've had THREE seasons in a row now, are not the norm for a non blue blood program. We are in elite company with that statistic. If you really believed there would be zero drop off this year after losing what we did, I'm not even sure what to say to you. Only a handful of programs in the country are capable of doing that and we ain't one of them. Expectations have been raised, as they should be, but that does not mean they should be unrealistic.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
A) Gundy's head HAS been called for repeatedly on this site for years. B) Nobody said anything about 8 win seasons being the norm. I'd suggest you work on your reading comprehension before calling someone else out for theirs.

Ten win seasons, like we've had THREE seasons in a row now, are not the norm for a non blue blood program. We are in elite company with that statistic. If you really believed there would be zero drop off this year after losing what we did, I'm not even sure what to say to you. Only a handful of programs in the country are capable of doing that and we ain't one of them. Expectations have been raised, as they should be, but that does not mean they should be unrealistic.
Who has repeatedly called for Gundy's head? Name them. You speak as if many have done this. Name them all.

You're right. No one did say anything about 8 wins season being the norm. Nor did I say that. You're reading comprehension is the one in question.
Reread (better yet, have someone read it to you and explain it to you) my post and try to keep your predetermined bias out of it if you're capable.

Nor did I say anything about not expecting a drop off after losing Rudolph, Washington, Ateman, Flowers, et al.
Those raised expectations are raised, yet the very idea of not giving another scholarship athlete, recruited to play and win games, not be allowed to be given his chance to win a game is not unrealistic. To not try everything to win the game is unrealistic for that pay grade.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
It sure would be nice to have someone inside the players circle that could shed some light on this whole incident of McClesky's sudden departure. There was no mumbling, grumbling, hints or anything. How long has this been brewing wih Jalen? We need a mole in the player cliques.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
It sure would be nice to have someone inside the players circle that could shed some light on this whole incident of McClesky's sudden departure. There was no mumbling, grumbling, hints or anything. How long has this been brewing wih Jalen? We need a mole in the player cliques.
Why?

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX

Who has repeatedly called for Gundy's head? Name them. You speak as if many have done this. Name them all.

You're right. No one did say anything about 8 wins season being the norm. Nor did I say that. You're reading comprehension is the one in question.
Reread (better yet, have someone read it to you and explain it to you) my post and try to keep your predetermined bias out of it if you're capable.

Nor did I say anything about not expecting a drop off after losing Rudolph, Washington, Ateman, Flowers, et al.
Those raised expectations are raised, yet the very idea of not giving another scholarship athlete, recruited to play and win games, not be allowed to be given his chance to win a game is not unrealistic. To not try everything to win the game is unrealistic for that pay grade.
You're right, you win. Nobody has ever called for Gundy's head on here.

You put a made up quote about being thankful for 8 wins in your post as if someone had actually said that and made it relevant. Nobody did so not sure why you even mentioned it.

If you did expect a drop off, but apparently aren't okay with 8 wins...I guess the magic number is 9?

I'm done responding. Carry-on with whatever it is you're trying to do.

Last edited:

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1044423083132678146

Cornelius stares McClesky down as he's open for a potential huge play. Just one play, but it's bad and there may have been others.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1044423083132678146

Cornelius stares McClesky down as he's open for a potential huge play. Just one play, but it's bad and there may have been others.
Jeez..........even the cameraman knew that should have been a pass to McClesky on the seam. Ugh.......

And let me say this. I read the article on PFB about some of the missed receivers by Cornelius (the one above was on there), and I've gotta put my foot in my mouth a little bit. Yurcich does call more routes over the middle than I thought. Either he doesn't prioritize them in the play design, or our QBs just aren't comfortable throwing there.

Either way, the seam was there in that clip. And that's where McClesky made his money for us.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper...

The players remaining on the roster are intent on showing that their product is better than the one they put out this past week.

“It’s way more focused,” Tyron Johnson said about practice this week. “When you win, you’re walking around chest high, everybody’s telling you how good you are. But they came in and beat us. Now we’ve got to come back down to earth and just work.”

Though it wasn’t known if he would soon start, Landon Wolf did gain valuable experience against Texas Tech by taking Dillon Stoner’s place.

“It helps a lot,” Wolf said. “Just being in there. I didn’t get that many passes my way. But being out there, taking the reps, getting that feel of that in-game experience is something that’s definitely good for me.”

Could offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and coach Mike Gundy put more of an emphasis on the running backs in the passing game? It might be a way to get the backs besides Justice Hill — especially the speedy Chuba Hubbard and LD Brown — on the field more.

“We did a lot, pretty much everything,” Hubbard said of their work in practice running routes. “We’re pretty much like receivers out there. But each game, it depends. Our (game plan) and our scheme, what’s going to happen. So, yeah, we still have some little plays, but it depends who we play.”

Feb 5, 2007
Get on down the road. Quitting on his team, his coaches, and the fans during the middle of the season because things are going the way he wants. Boo freakin Hoo. Selfish act, don't care who the QB is or how many times he's getting thrown to. Seems like a good kid from what I've read, but call it what it is. No place for this crap in TEAM sports.