Is Oklahoma Joe's Open in Tulsa?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Runt's was just not very good. A lot of people love their other location(s) in Wagoner or Muskogee... or maybe both. I went to the one in BA once and it wasn't very good. Gameday was a great name but their focus was misdirected, and yes it lasted about 2 months. I don't remember the Sooner schooner out there, but it does sound vaguely familiar. Probably repressed that memory.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass along this contest I'm doing to you guys cause I know there's a lot of OKJoe's fans in here. I'm giving away a bottle of each of Joe's BBQ sauces as well as an autographed DVD. All you have to do is enter your favorite Tulsa area BBQ joints in the comments area to be entered. The winner will literally be drawn out of a hat (an Oklahoma Joe's hat to be exact). For more info and to enter, here's the link: http://www.tulsafoodguy.com/blog/20...om-oklahoma-joes/comment-page-1/#comment-4333

The responses will be used to aid me in putting together a Tulsa Top 10 BBQ list.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I left my comment as well. I haven't been to Okie Joe's in way too long. I found another place here in North KC called Smokin Guns BBQ... and it's really, really good. It's not Oklahoma Joe's, but it's a close second.

And I need to go to OK Joe's soon. The Carolina Style sandwich is calling my name.

Chris H.

administrator emeritus
A/V Subscriber
Jul 1, 2004
Tulsa, Okla.
chris.hasenpflug.net
I left my comment as well. I haven't been to Okie Joe's in way too long. I found another place here in North KC called Smokin Guns BBQ... and it's really, really good. It's not Oklahoma Joe's, but it's a close second.
My 2nd favorite in KC as well. It was a staple for us, being much closer and not quite as busy as OK Joe's during lunch hours.

PistolPete'sMustache

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
My only suggestion would be that the brisket be cut thicker, but maybe that is because I grew up with Texas BBQ and he is "Oklahoma" Joe. The BBQ was very good, but it was not distinctively any better than some of the other BBQ in town. I will definitely be back at some point, but I don't live close to Broken Arrow. I've become a fan of Back Alley Blues and BBQ downtown. It started out mediocre when I went there in the first couple of weeks and it has gotten better each time I've been since. Same complaint about the brisket though. They don't even offer it sliced, only chopped. The peach cobbler might be the best dessert in town.

OrangeForever

Member of the SAS
Dec 8, 2007
MThe BBQ was very good, but it was not distinctively any better than some of the other BBQ in town.
Agree completely.

Don't get me wrong - it was still very good and I'd definitely go back, but I don't know that I'd go out of my way for it when there's a Rib Crib almost within walking distance of my house.

PokeVille

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2008
I also like Back Alley. Are those 3 places over there (Back Alley, The Maxx and Joe Mama's) all owned by the same person? I always get cups from any of the three when I go to Back Alley.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Listen... it's the best BBQ in Kansas City, which makes it the best BBQ in the world. I had it at the original location on Friday. I'm already craving it again. It's so good. Hog Heaven Z-man style... Carolina style sandwich... so good.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
I've only eaten Oklahoma Joe's once, but comparing it to Rib Crib is blasphemy. Rib Crib's brisket is like rubber.

I agree that the brisket needs to be sliced thicker though.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
I've only eaten Oklahoma Joe's once, but comparing it to Rib Crib is blasphemy. Rib Crib's brisket is like rubber.

I agree that the brisket needs to be sliced thicker though.
If you think their brisket is like rubber, try the catfish. It makes Gorton's frozen fish at the grocery look like a 5 star meal at the Hilton.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Listen... it's the best BBQ in Kansas City, which makes it the best BBQ in the world. I had it at the original location on Friday. I'm already craving it again. It's so good. Hog Heaven Z-man style... Carolina style sandwich... so good.
I know they call that one the original, but let's not forget their first restaurant was in Stillwater!