Is Oklahoma Joe's Open in Tulsa?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
We tried to go on Saturday, but they didn't open until 5 and we couldn't wait an hour and a half to eat. We went to Hideaway instead so the day wasn't a complete failure. I'm looking forward to giving it a try though. Can never have enough good BBQ.

Apr 24, 2008
Just got back from lunch. Outstanding. Saw Joe and his Wife making rounds on the floor talking with customers, etc. Looks like that place has a bright future.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
Went and had the Z sandwich and ribs. Ribs were excellent, sandwich was very good too. They deserve the reputation they have but they need a hotter "hot bbq sauce".

bacowboy

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2004
BA
A couple of good articles in todays TW.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=39&articleid=20120105_39_WK10_CUTLIN334287

Joe Don Davidson had earned his degree in agricultural engineering at Oklahoma State University and was on course to reach his goal to become a college professor.
"I was working as a graduate assistant and was trying to think of a way to make a little extra money," Davidson said, recalling the summer of 1987.
He was a welder by trade and had an idea about how to build a barbecue smoker. So he scraped together $2,000, "all the money in the world to me," built a dozen smokers and took them to the Oklahoma State Fair in Oklahoma City.
"They all sold the first day, and I got orders for 108 more," Davidson said. "Suddenly, I was in the smoker manufacturing business, and I loved it."
Since then Davidson has had a whirlwind career in the barbecue trade. He has owned or co-owned businesses and restaurants, including the famous Oklahoma Joe's Barbecue and Catering in Kansas City, and has worked for some of the biggest names in the industry.
Most recently, he and wife Page returned to the restaurant business, opening a new Oklahoma Joe's BBQ in Broken Arrow (see review, page 11).
To help promote his original smoker business, Davidson started entering barbecue competitions, and it wasn't long before he got pretty good at it.
"That first year I entered the T-Town Barbecue Cook-Off in downtown Tulsa and placed third in brisket and fifth in poultry," he said. "I thought I had won a world championship, and I was hooked on competition cooking that day."
In 1993, he won salsa and dry rub at the American Royal in Kansas City and the grand championship of the Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational. One of his biggest competitors was Jeff Stehney, a native of Bixby, who won the American Royal grand championship that year.
"We were both hot that year," Davidson said. "One or the other of us usually won. We became friends and eventually talked about opening a restaurant together. We researched sauces and dry rubs and studied how flavors worked on the palate.
"But Jeff had a good job in food service and was hesitant about leaving it. I told him at first I would pay him a salary and he would be a 50 percent partner. It took awhile, but he finally came around."
The two opened their first Oklahoma Joe's Barbecue in January 1996 in Stillwater, and in August that year they opened their Kansas City location in a former Shamrock gas station at 47th and Mission. Davidson operated the Stillwater restaurant and Stehney the one in KC.
"In '98 I sold the manufacturing part of Oklahoma Joe's to Char-Broil, and as part of the deal I moved to New Braunfels, Texas, to head the live-fire division of Char-Broil," Davidson said.
"I believe you have to be at a barbecue joint every day if you own one, so I closed the Stillwater restaurant and Jeff kept running the KC store. Since I wasn't adding anything to the partnership, I licensed the brand name to him. He now has two locations and is opening a third in Leawood in June or July."
After Davidson's contract ended with Char-Broil, he approached Wal-Mart about producing barbecue videos in about 2000.
"I don't know how many VHS tapes we made on all aspects of barbecueing, but we probably put out millions of them," he said. "As part of that deal, Wal-Mart signed me to do its private-label charcoal program."
The Wal-Mart job led to a business arrangement with Royal Oak Charcoal out of Roswell, Ga., and Davidson wound up going to work for Royal Oak to oversee its private-label program.
"In 2009 I left to do corporate team building with companies like Williams and Oracle," Davidson said. "I would divide the participants into six-person teams, put up tents and give them knives and meats, and run a competition like a barbecue world championship."
Davidson and his wife purchased a small ranch near Bixby about 10 years ago and frequented most of the barbecue joints in the Tulsa area.
"One day we saw this building had become available, and I knew it originally opened as a barbecue place (Runt's)," Davidson said. "We looked it over and figured we could get a place open in 90 to 120 days, and Page and I decided to go for it.
"People say you can't do world-championship barbecue out of a restaurant. But I say we use the same cookers, the same pecan wood, the same cuts of meat, the same fire and temperature, so why can't we?
"Page and I think we have a gift for hospitality, and we think we can put out world-championship barbecue. We opened Dec. 16, and so far it is the most fun job I've ever had in my life."
He said they sent the Broken Arrow staff to Kansas City for an "intense" training program, as much to learn how to handle large crowds as it was to learn the cooking techniques.
"Jeff has done a great job maintaining the integrity of Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City," Davidson said. "He has won all kinds of awards, and once had Anthony Bourdain spend a couple of days with him. Bourdain said it was the best barbecue he ever had.
"There is no reason Tulsa can't be a barbecue destination city just like Kansas City. We have great barbecue joints in Tulsa, just not enough marketing. I don't know; maybe we can help that along."

Oklahoma Joe's smokers gone, but good news on the Horizon
Some years after Joe Davidson sold his Oklahoma Joe's Smoker Co. to Char-Broil in 1996, the brand name he founded in 1987 disappeared from the market.
He said a semblance of the original smoker can be found today at Horizon Smokers in Perry. It is owned by Joe's brother, Roger Davidson.
"Roger was plant manager for Oklahoma Joe's Smoker Co. from 1990 to 1998, and he was a key member of our competition barbecue team that won so many accolades," Joe Davidson said.
He said Oklahoma Joe's smokers were manufactured in Perry from 1987 to 1994, then in Stillwater, where it operated until 1998.
"Horizon smokers represent what I believe to be the finest smokers built in the tradition that made Oklahoma Joe's smokers famous," Joe Davidson said.

Joe’s ‘Best Beans on the Planet’
Joe Davidson said this recipe won the "Best Beans on the Planet" title at the American Royal competition in Kansas City early in his career and "continues to win accolades with judges, and more importantly family and friends."
He said the recipe needs cooked brisket to be at its best.
"It's the secret ingredient that really makes these beans the best on the planet," Davidson said.
He said these are the beans he serves at his new Oklahoma Joe's BBQ restaurant in Broken Arrow.
JOE'S 'BEST BEANS ON THE PLANET'
2 (15-ounce) cans pork and beans
1 (15-ounce) can dark red kidney beans
1 (15-ounce) can black beans
1 small red onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
2 cups golden brown sugar
18 ounces Joe BBQ Original sauce
1 pound chopped cooked brisket (optional but recommended)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Drain beans and place in an aluminum foil pan.
3. Remove seeds, dice peppers and place in pan; dice onions and place in pan.
4. Mix remaining ingredients into pan.
5. Place pan on cookie sheet and cook for 2 hours.
6. Remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes before serving.

Original Print Headline: Barbecue rock star

Scott Cherry 918-581-8463
scott.cherry@tulsaworld.com
Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=39&articleid=20120105_39_WK10_CUTLIN334287

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=39&articleid=20120105_39_WK11_CUTLIN563517

BROKEN ARROW - With the kind of advance notice Oklahoma Joe's BBQ restaurant had over the past few months, it was impossible to go there without preconceived expectations. In this case, high expectations, and that's a dangerous thing.
I knew the history, how Joe Davidson founded Oklahoma Joe's Smoker Co., about the many awards he won in barbecue competitions, how he co-founded Oklahoma Joe's Restaurant and Catering (a former partner still runs the famous one in Kansas City), and how he and wife Page decided to return to the restaurant business by opening a new place near Bass Pro Shops in Broken Arrow.
Then some folks whose opinion about barbecue I respect - my brother Randy, for one, and former newspaper colleague J. Carl Guymon, for another - told me they had visited the new restaurant and how much they liked it.
So it was a great relief when my wife and I went by on a recent weeknight and found it to meet our expectations, and in some cases - beans, coleslaw, chili - exceed them.
We had a ribs-and-one-meat (sliced brisket) dinner ($12.49), a one-meat (pulled pork) dinner ($8.79), the Z-man sandwich ($6.49) and a side of white chili ($3.19).
My plate had three meaty ribs trimmed St. Louis style and four slices of tender brisket, and both had a clean, smoky flavor, while my wife's huge mound of pulled pork was moist and flavorful.
Bottles of Oklahoma Joe's original and hot barbecue sauces were on the table. Both were tasty by themselves, neither too sweet nor vinegary, and I thought even better mixed together.
Dinners come with only one side, but the portions are sizable, and the barbecue beans and coleslaw were out of this world.
The award-winning beans included three types of beans, onions, peppers (including jalapeno), brown sugar, barbecue sauce and chopped brisket, and the blending of flavors was magnificent.
I wasn't sure I was going to like the coleslaw - mayo, spicy mustard, brown sugar, red peppers, barbecue seasonings, balsamic vinegar, green and purple cabbages, carrots - but I did. It was spicy but not so much that it overpowered the layers of flavor in the dish.
Davidson said the beans and coleslaw are different than the ones served at the Kansas City restaurant.
The Z-man sandwich wasn't the monster I expected it to be, but the flavor of the brisket paired with smoked provolone cheese and two onion rings on a kaiser bun was impressive.
Other meats available include turkey, bologna, chopped beef, hot links and sausage.
The chili was thick with shredded white-meat chicken and had a smoky flavor; a full bowl would hit the spot on a cold winter night.
A children's menu includes four items, each with one side and a drink for $4.79.
The beverage list includes about a half dozen beers.
Walls are full of photos of Oklahoma Joe's food items and scenes from its storied past, and championship banners hang from the ceiling.
If you own a large dog, ask about the dog bones. They are free when available.
Diners order at a counter, and the food is ready almost instantly. During peak hours expect about a 25-minute wait to be served.

Test kitchen Sunday and burnt ends
Sunday's are designated "test kitchen" days at Oklahoma Joe's BBQ.
"On Sundays we always cook a few things that aren't on the menu, thinks like smoked salmon, meatloaf, mahi mahi, candied hot chicken thighs, prime rib and cherry bread pudding with bourbon sauce," said owner Joe Davidson. "That's in addition to the regular menu."
Also, on Wednesdays and Saturdays, the restaurant offers burnt ends ($12.99 dinner, $7.49 sandwich).
"Burnt ends come off the brisket," Davidson said. "They are sweet, salty, chunky pieces of beef - platinum quality, in my opinion."

OKLAHOMA JOE’S BBQ
333 W. Albany St., Broken Arrow
918-355-0000
Food:
Atmosphere:
Service: Order at counter (on a scale of 0 to 4 stars)
11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday; accepts all major credit cards.
Original Print Headline: Tasty 'cue comes with out-of-this-world sides
Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=39&articleid=20120105_39_WK11_CUTLIN563517

Sep 25, 2007
Stopped by for dinner last night with three OSU buddies. Great BBQ, nice atmosphere, pleasent staff, and Joe spent a bit of his time talking with us. Had the 1 meat rib plate with brisket and fries. That filled me up. Highly recommend it, especially if you are an OSU fan.

One of my friends told me it was once another BBQ place and a sports bar with a sooner schooner parked out front. The bar opened up right after the football season ended and the place only lasted a few weeks. Too bad for the sooners.

Sep 25, 2006
BA
Stopped by for dinner last night with three OSU buddies. Great BBQ, nice atmosphere, pleasent staff, and Joe spent a bit of his time talking with us. Had the 1 meat rib plate with brisket and fries. That filled me up. Highly recommend it, especially if you are an OSU fan.

One of my friends told me it was once another BBQ place and a sports bar with a sooner schooner parked out front. The bar opened up right after the football season ended and the place only lasted a few weeks. Too bad for the sooners.
It used to be a BBQ place called Runts, thought it was partially owned by former TU fballer Jerry Ostrosky. It closed down after a couple of months and sat vacant, for a LONG time, then was place called Gameday i think, but that lasted what seemed like a couple of weeks. Then became OK Joes.

bacowboy

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2004
BA
It used to be a BBQ place called Runts, thought it was partially owned by former TU fballer Jerry Ostrosky. It closed down after a couple of months and sat vacant, for a LONG time, then was place called Gameday i think, but that lasted what seemed like a couple of weeks. Then became OK Joes.
Runt's was open for almost 2 years after it closed there was a sports bar that went in and lasted 2-3 months I think.