Is Cannabis Dangerous in Adolescence ?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I think the circle jerk was always a real part of this, and I used to participate frequently. I just feel like it is the default. I used to see very good conversations about differing topics on here. Hell, I'd come here to bounce ideas around on something I wasn't sure of because of the variety of perspectives that were available. I find that to be quite useful. Now, I drop by to check the memes and peek at the conversations.

Solution? It is a personal level thing, IMO. I can either completely detach(I pretty much have but isn't really a solution) or simply resolve to personally be less given to the knee jerk "you're wrong because..." rhetoric.

I know enough to be dangerous, and I have mountains to learn. I realize some of you are quite well educated on a variety of topics that I'd have to play massive catch up on.

Hell, there is at least 2 doctors and a pharmacist typically involved in any discussion involving the medical(or otherwise) uses of drugs. I will generally defer to those of you who deal with this on that level versus myself who has had a longstanding personal disgust for marijuana. I try not to default to "it's bad no matter what" and listen to the available evidence.

Anecdote: It helps me to do that. My oldest daughter has massive whole body migraines nearly everyday, and suffers severe anxiety. She was on some pretty strong stuff. I don't know the doses and names, but I know that she was on a nerve blocker that was 3times the dose her grandfather was using post back surgery. We've stopped that, she is now using Medical Marijuana, and my wife can grow it to keep cost down. I won't pretend some miracle has happened, but I don't think think the long term effects will be anything like what she was risking on the other stuff she was taking. My point is that reading up on some of the threads here has helped me be more open to options I would have defaulted to no on in the past.

I guess it comes down to basic respect and not feeling like I gotta win the gotcha game anymore.
That's why I love Orangepower. Been here almost 15 years. You've seen me get involved when the name calling starts because there's no reason for it. I don't believe I've ever called anyone a name but I've belittled a few. And I've tried to apologize for them when I go back and read old threads.
I believe doc here is in pain management. Have you bounced her problems off of him yet? He's pretty good from what I've read and he's very concerned about his patients well being. Plus, he's a Poke;)
I would go to MJ as a last resort for those problems but it seems maybe you have. Hope it works out well.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
You are such a moron. He literally says, sometimes he wants pain relief, sometimes he wants to pair certain flavors with food, and sometimes he also likes to catch a buzz. All of those are different than only getting high, which your partner in stupidity @GumbyFromPokeyLand said is the only reason people use pot. You lost again, move along now.
you're such a moron.... he did say that, and much, much more, which you ignored. (read it again... all with the intent of feeling the effects)....

you ARE LOST again... now don't come back

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
you're such a moron.... he did say that, and much, much more, which you ignored. (read it again... all with the intent of feeling the effects)....

you ARE LOST again... now don't come back
I think I see the problem. You've never tried it. Maybe back in school once or twice. There are several effects of ingesting marijuana. Not all are the same. Not even close.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Wow. Amazed this is up for debate. Undeniable medical evidence that long term use of MJ has some serious side effects, especially for younger people. If it's your "pain killer" of choice, fine. I get that alcohol and tobacco, both legal, have side effects as well.

I guess I'm lucky that I found out very early, believe it or not, that I was and still am big time allergic to MJ. Can't be around the smoke. As an adult in the around the 1980's I had to leave a Willie Nelson concert in the Summit in Houston because my eyes were nearly swelled shut from "second hand smoke". Surprised drivers on Hwy 59 weren't getting high from the exhaust - it was bad.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
In the end, it doesn’t bother me. The more stoners, the fewer people competing for the same dollar. I win, you lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't know what you're talking about. I'm retired. you can have the dollar. I'll keep the gold. All I do now is charitable work.
Charitable work, stoned, no doubt. Hopefully it doesn’t involve interaction with underprivileged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Wow. Amazed this is up for debate. Undeniable medical evidence that long term use of MJ has some serious side effects, especially for younger people. If it's your "pain killer" of choice, fine. I get that alcohol and tobacco, both legal, have side effects as well.

I guess I'm lucky that I found out very early, believe it or not, that I was and still am big time allergic to MJ. Can't be around the smoke. As an adult in the around the 1980's I had to leave a Willie Nelson concert in the Summit in Houston because my eyes were nearly swelled shut from "second hand smoke". Surprised drivers on Hwy 59 weren't getting high from the exhaust - it was bad.

I don't think there's a debate about that. Some are debating me saying that the only reason for using it is to get high. We've already derailed this thread but even us who are users agree that young ones should never be around it nor use it unless a physician has a good reason for it. Personally, I don't think 18 is old enough to start either, not even sure 21 is. At least for males.
It's not just long term side effects. There's some nasty short term effects that will become permanent if the user is predisposed for schizophrenia.

Last edited:

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
That's why I love Orangepower. Been here almost 15 years. You've seen me get involved when the name calling starts because there's no reason for it. I don't believe I've ever called anyone a name but I've belittled a few. And I've tried to apologize for them when I go back and read old threads.
I believe doc here is in pain management. Have you bounced her problems off of him yet? He's pretty good from what I've read and he's very concerned about his patients well being. Plus, he's a Poke;)
I would go to MJ as a last resort for those problems but it seems maybe you have. Hope it works out well.
It is a last resort. The other crap rarely had positive effects and the other options were to continually raise dosages.

I admit that I am not a fan but mostly for personal reasons not really related to the situation. I also don't want to deny my daughter relief. Btw, weed hasn't been a cure either but it has been better.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
It is a last resort. The other crap rarely had positive effects and the other options were to continually raise dosages.

I admit that I am not a fan but mostly for personal reasons not really related to the situation. I also don't want to deny my daughter relief. Btw, weed hasn't been a cure either but it has been better.
Very interesting. Just out of curiosity is she smoking it? If yes, you should try stopping that and use the oils and edibles. Even vaping anything still has negative consequences. I'm glad that the law is actually working for someone's favor. We've talked about growing ones own medicine here before. Never thought the day would come, let alone in Oklahoma, when this would be allowed. I hope you can let us/me know how well it's working longer term.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
FAIL. You don't see half of what you think you see.

you know nothing about me.
True. I've been reading your posts for a long time and perhaps you were lying the entire time. Maybe you're not in Northern California.

They're 3 long term posters who are still here that I trust and follow on the subjects of law and the constitution. NYCPoke, KSUpoke and you. If you care to go research, you'll notice that I've never confronted your posts or called you any names. Always thought your perspective to be informative and intriguing.

I don't know why you seemed peeved at me. If you haven't partaken lately or at all, it makes our conversation very difficult. So to my point. Not all recreational users are using it to get high, and using it doesn't always make you high.

For purposes of stopping the derailment.
1). If you're in chronic pain, pain management should be first go to.
2). If you're reading this and thinking about trying THC for pain, see number 1.
3). If you're still going to try it, at least wait till mid 20's. Males frontal lobes are not fully completed until mid 20's.
4). Weigh out the side effects. Opiates are loaded with some pretty bad side effects and so is THC. The law is one of the worst side effects (depending where you live), it could cost you everything.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
True. I've been reading your posts for a long time and perhaps you were lying the entire time. Maybe you're not in Northern California.

They're 3 long term posters who are still here that I trust and follow on the subjects of law and the constitution. NYCPoke, KSUpoke and you. If you care to go research, you'll notice that I've never confronted your posts or called you any names. Always thought your perspective to be informative and intriguing.

I don't know why you seemed peeved at me. If you haven't partaken lately or at all, it makes our conversation very difficult. So to my point. Not all recreational users are using it to get high, and using it doesn't always make you high.

2). If you're reading this and thinking about trying THC for pain, see number 1.
3). If you're still going to try it, at least wait till mid 20's. Males frontal lobes are not fully completed until mid 20's.
4). Weigh out the side effects. Opiates are loaded with some pretty bad side effects and so is THC. The law is one of the worst side effects (depending where you live), it could cost you everything.
you give me too much credit... I'm no expert in anything, but there are some topics that I am more interested in.... my 2 pet peeves are folks advocating for erosion of my liberty and people misquoting or misusing biblical scripture.

AND DON'T NOBODY BASH MY COWBOYS! LOL

I've most likely smoked more pot than you've ever seen in your entire life, but let's not go there, and it has not been for decades. But I know people (Garth Books low places people), and CA has had medical MJ for freaking ever, it seems (medical MJ - that was the big running joke)

what I take exception with, in your position, is that "recreational users" don't do it to get high - which is actually a contradiction in terms, IMO. If you had said medical users don't take it to get high - I get that... but recreational? Nope... not buying that.

the whole point of "recreational" infers getting high. You might "pop a gummy" to help you relax, but that would be "medical use".

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
[/QUOTE]
3). If you're still going to try it, at least wait till mid 20's. Males frontal lobes are not fully completed until mid 20's...........
[/QUOTE]

Ah - explains why so many college kids are liberal! ;)

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
3). If you're still going to try it, at least wait till mid 20's. Males frontal lobes are not fully completed until mid 20's...........
Ah - explains why so many college kids are liberal! ;)
I was a huge stoner while at OSU, and was a conservative the whole time, so....

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
you give me too much credit... I'm no expert in anything, but there are some topics that I am more interested in.... my 2 pet peeves are folks advocating for erosion of my liberty and people misquoting or misusing biblical scripture.

AND DON'T NOBODY BASH MY COWBOYS! LOL

I've most likely smoked more pot than you've ever seen in your entire life, but let's not go there, and it has not been for decades. But I know people (Garth Books low places people), and CA has had medical MJ for freaking ever, it seems (medical MJ - that was the big running joke)

what I take exception with, in your position, is that "recreational users" don't do it to get high - which is actually a contradiction in terms, IMO. If you had said medical users don't take it to get high - I get that... but recreational? Nope... not buying that.

the whole point of "recreational" infers getting high. You might "pop a gummy" to help you relax, but that would be "medical use".
I would've like to seen you in those days I think.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
OSU does have that effect:thumbup:
Both effects, right? :D

I absolutely blew a golden opportunity with a smoking hot coed while standing in line to vote in the 1984 presidential election (where Reagan I think won all but one state). Got to chatting with her while waiting to vote and and things were going really, really well. Then I told her watching paint dry was more interesting than watching Mondale in the debates and that I was a Reagan guy all the way. Got kind of chilly after that.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Both effects, right? :D

I absolutely blew a golden opportunity with a smoking hot coed while standing in line to vote in the 1984 presidential election (where Reagan I think won all but one state). Got to chatting with her while waiting to vote and and things were going really, really well. Then I told her watching paint dry was more interesting than watching Mondale in the debates and that I was a Reagan guy all the way. Got kind of chilly after that.
Pompous, loudmouth....... cock-blocked you. Just bagging on your sig line.