Is America Running Out of Workers?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
The answer to the op question is a resounding NO.
The more nuanced answer is that what we have is a misalignment of experienced and available workers with company desired demographics for their workers and a desire by some to work at all.

I have more than a passing knowledge of this environment.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Unfortunately, we cannot deploy the military for a police function. So, Chicago is an apple, this is an orange.
We were talking money, not necessarily a specific resource. We are going to spend $50 million in case a murder could occur instead of spending money where we know murders are occurring. My point is that no, possible crimes against persons have not generally been a major factor in mobilizing resources of this magnitude.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
We were talking money, not necessarily a specific resource. We are going to spend $50 million in case a murder could occur instead of spending money where we know murders are occurring. My point is that no, possible crimes against persons have not generally been a major factor in mobilizing resources of this magnitude.
We were also talking federal spending and not state/local spending, so my point is yes, a moderate or high risk of crimes against property and persons against an invasion force ought to be a reason to mobilize resources to protect citizens who live along the border. We have a constitutional duty to do so. OTOH, the citizens of Chicago need to elect (non-Democrats) politicians who will mobilize state and local resources to do something about the threat to persons and property in their neighborhoods, because it is not something that we can use the United States military to do. But they just keep electing (Democrats) politicians who keep giving them the same damn thing. They ought to elect (non-Democrats) someone else.

P.S. I've been saying this for years and you know I have. You and I have had this discussion before. We have a duty to protect our citizens who live along the border. It is a constitutional duty and I don't give a flying-flip about the cost. We have to do it. If we have to raise taxes to make Phoenix not be the kidnapping capital of the United States then so be it.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
We were also talking federal spending and not state/local spending, so my point is yes, a moderate or high risk of crimes against property and persons against an invasion force ought to be a reason to mobilize resources to protect citizens who live along the border. We have a constitutional duty to do so. OTOH, the citizens of Chicago need to elect (non-Democrats) politicians who will mobilize state and local resources to do something about the threat to persons and property in their neighborhoods, because it is not something that we can use the United States military to do. But they just keep electing (Democrats) politicians who keep giving them the same damn thing. They ought to elect (non-Democrats) someone else.

P.S. I've been saying this for years and you know I have. You and I have had this discussion before. We have a duty to protect our citizens who live along the border. It is a constitutional duty and I don't give a flying-flip about the cost. We have to do it. If we have to raise taxes to make Phoenix not be the kidnapping capital of the United States then so be it.
Hey, I might agree with that. Put an additional tax to cover the cost of this escapade. Put an additional tax to cover the cost of the wall. Heck, this deployment would only be about 50 cents per taxpayer. But, I like the concept. Let people know what they are paying for when the government makes new proposals like this. We pay a tax for Medicare. Why not this? Even could make it a levy that only lasts for a year or two to attempt to settle the situation.

Much better than just tossing another $50 mil on the pile for what I firmly believe is a pre-election ploy and you firmly believe is important.

And, if this "invasion" actually produces terrorists or a big spike in crime, I'll eat crow. But, if it fizzles and turns into a people processing mission as all signs point, will you guys?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Hey, I might agree with that. Put an additional tax to cover the cost of this escapade. Put an additional tax to cover the cost of the wall. Heck, this deployment would only be about 50 cents per taxpayer. But, I like the concept. Let people know what they are paying for when the government makes new proposals like this. We pay a tax for Medicare. Why not this? Even could make it a levy that only lasts for a year or two to attempt to settle the situation.

Much better than just tossing another $50 mil on the pile for what I firmly believe is a pre-election ploy and you firmly believe is important.
Kind of like that penny sales tax for the MAPS project in downtown OKC. Turned out to be worth it. Protect the Southern border. If we really want it, the pay specifically for it. And quit pretending, like Cali, that it isn't going to cost anything, because it is. But in my humble opinion, it is something we simply have to do.

NTXPoke

Wrangler
Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
How about we charter a bunch of buses and take the "caravan" people to a sanctuary city. San Francisco, perhaps? They will be overjoyed to have 7,000 or so folks delivered to their doorstep.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
How about we charter a bunch of buses and take the "caravan" people to a sanctuary city. San Francisco, perhaps? They will be overjoyed to have 7,000 or so folks delivered to their doorstep.
Right on San Fran Nan's doorstep. Maybe even let them in the door. She certainly would not refuse them entry, would she??

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
No, not a lol. Not a wink. Actual military assessment. The president is lying to stir the base. And the lemmings are jumping. Jump! Jump! Jump! That is the lol.

Here it is:
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5026468-SWB-Operations-TWG-27OCT18.html

Pg 10 note the MLCOA: "No terrorist infiltration"
In its “most dangerous” assessment, the caravan would “grow markedly” and become exploited by terrorists and traffickers, leading to increasing “cross border engagements”. The assessment does not assign a numerical probability to those scenarios.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
In its “most dangerous” assessment, the caravan would “grow markedly” and become exploited by terrorists and traffickers, leading to increasing “cross border engagements”. The assessment does not assign a numerical probability to those scenarios.
With that response, it is pretty clear you have never served in the military.

The military is saying "Most likely" no terrorist threat which is in complete disagreement with your assessment.

And, then "most dangerous" would be if there were terrorists and traffickers. Dangerous but not likely.

Sort of like an assessment of the bedlam game would be most likely a few drunk idiots and maybe a fight or two. Most dangerous would be a person sneaks a bomb in, although not likely.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
The Silicon Valley claims over and over again they need more qualified engineers, customer success managers, project managers etc.
Meanwhile there are tens of thousands of out of work people (mostly but not solely men) age 45 and above (black and white) who are qualified and looking who can’t even get interviews. Then I sit with people who own tradesmen (electricians, plumbing, landscaping and so in) companies and they’re starving for employees not because they’re not getting candidates or even people accepting offers but because the one thing they ask for, reliably show up on time, isn’t important and in this state it’s really difficult to rid yourself of a problem employee especially one whose wc is that of a laborer.

Again, the workers are there but they don’t align with the demographics and or lower wages these companies want or and this is very real, many of the ‘new age’ tech companies simply want more foreign workers they see it as diversifying the environment they reside in.
The concept of not enough workers is, to quote a well worn and time honored phrase, complete and utter bullshit.

If jobs are the issue, the southern border ain’t the problem.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
The Silicon Valley claims over and over again they need more qualified engineers, customer success managers, project managers etc.
Meanwhile there are tens of thousands of out of work people (mostly but not solely men) age 45 and above (black and white) who are qualified and looking who can’t even get interviews. Then I sit with people who own tradesmen (electricians, plumbing, landscaping and so in) companies and they’re starving for employees not because they’re not getting candidates or even people accepting offers but because the one thing they ask for, reliably show up on time, isn’t important and in this state it’s really difficult to rid yourself of a problem employee especially one whose wc is that of a laborer.

Again, the workers are there but they don’t align with the demographics and or lower wages these companies want or and this is very real, many of the ‘new age’ tech companies simply want more foreign workers they see it as diversifying the environment they reside in.
The concept of not enough workers is, to quote a well worn and time honored phrase, complete and utter bullshit.

If jobs are the issue, the southern border ain’t the problem.
If your view of the country is Silicon Valley that's a pretty freaking narrow view. The rest of the country ain't Silicon Valley, bra.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
If your view of the country is Silicon Valley that's a pretty freaking narrow view. The rest of the country ain't Silicon Valley, bra.
When I refer to the SV I’m speaking tech in general and yes, this discrimination permeates the tech sector, whether your talking about engineers at GM, HP, ABC, FB, banks, hospitals and so on, tech is part of almost every company.
The issue of unreliable labor is not the sole domain of the SV either, I suspect there are several sole proprietors on here or other inc business owners (construction, plumbing, carpentry, landscaping etc...) who can attest to that.
I’ve been and am keenly aware of my blessings but I know many highly skilled engineers in their 40’s and 50’s, race independent, spanning multiple disciplines across dozens of states who can’t get interviews, while tens of thousands of lesser qualified people are sponsored in under the guise of not enough qualified workers are available.

Age discrimination is the most pervasive form of job discrimination that exists today and it’s also the most difficult to prove.

It isn’t remotely close to just being a Silicon Valley problem

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
When I refer to the SV I’m speaking tech in general and yes, this discrimination permeates the tech sector, whether your talking about engineers at GM, HP, ABC, FB, banks, hospitals and so on, tech is part of almost every company.
The issue of unreliable labor is not the sole domain of the SV either, I suspect there are several sole proprietors on here or other inc business owners (construction, plumbing, carpentry, landscaping etc...) who can attest to that.
I’ve been and am keenly aware of my blessings but I know many highly skilled engineers in their 40’s and 50’s, race independent, spanning multiple disciplines across dozens of states who can’t get interviews, while tens of thousands of lesser qualified people are sponsored in under the guise of not enough qualified workers are available.

Age discrimination is the most pervasive form of job discrimination that exists today and it’s also the most difficult to prove.

It isn’t remotely close to just being a Silicon Valley problem
You are still voicing a pretty doggone narrow view.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
With that response, it is pretty clear you have never served in the military.

The military is saying "Most likely" no terrorist threat which is in complete disagreement with your assessment.

And, then "most dangerous" would be if there were terrorists and traffickers. Dangerous but not likely.

Sort of like an assessment of the bedlam game would be most likely a few drunk idiots and maybe a fight or two. Most dangerous would be a person sneaks a bomb in, although not likely.
with that response it's pretty clear that you don't have a brain.

That is FROM the military. THEY said it is possible... Trump has to act in the best interest of the people.

Glad that he's Prez and not you.