Inviting Former Players Back

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
If the question becomes would you rather be closer to the Texas hotbed or those east coast cities.... it gets interesting I am not sold on the consistent talent in those areas.
Texas is proven talent!
When you say "Texas" for it to aply to Oklahoma State you need to refine that to "North" Texas

Auburn is 108 miles from Atlanta which is 160 miles closer than it is from Stillwater to Dallas.

I would certianly take Auburns recruiting grounds over OSU's.

Within an roughly 100 mile area, which is roughly the distance between Norman and Stillwater, Auburn has an infinite times more amount of D1 recruits to recruit from.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
When you say "Texas" for it to aply to Oklahoma State you need to refine that to "North" Texas

Auburn is 108 miles from Atlanta which is 160 miles closer than it is from Stillwater to Dallas.

I would certianly take Auburns recruiting grounds over OSU's.

Within an roughly 100 mile area, which is roughly the distance between Norman and Stillwater, Auburn has an infinite times more amount of D1 recruits to recruit from.
I think auburn has some advantages such as being in the SEC. However my point is I don’t think we can say location is everything. mario cristobal has kids doing backflips to go to Eugene oregon. What comparison would you make for oxford mississippi.

Nov 14, 2010
I think auburn has some advantages such as being in the SEC. However my point is I don’t think we can say location is everything. mario cristobal has kids doing backflips to go to Eugene oregon. What comparison would you make for oxford mississippi.
Location is very important but it certainly isnt everything.

Although it certainly is an obstacle for OSU, I think its also fairly well proven that its not neccassarily the most important thing.

Thats because good coaches dont make excuses.

They overcome the obstacles they are faced with.

I dont view Ole Miss as a football program that, non cheating wise, should be better than OSU.

The biggest difference is that they win their Egg Bowl much more than we win Bedlam.

They're dealing with Miss State while we have to deal with OU.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
My opinions
NFL Path B-
Coach Relationship B+
Player relationship B+
Location D
Winning Team A-
Offense A
Defense B-

Avg B-. About where we are in recruiting and overall success. That second tier off that top 10-15 teams. Comfortably in that 20-30 range. Can’t change location but adding more to enhance a players experience goes a long ways. We haven’t made many changes the past 8yrs besides some trophy room aesthetics. We have been passed by several programs. Besides a new HC, what are some things y’all would do to enhance their experience or help us our recruit Baylor and TCU? We feel stagnant
i think marketing plays a big part of it. Sell what you have. The OSU campus is absolutely beautiful compared to other campuses. I think the school and football program could take it up a notch in this department. I like going to the one logo brand. I wear things that say OSU and people will sometimes ask me is it oregon state. Tuition pretty cheap at OSU maybe focus on growing the enrollment becoming a bigger school via out of state enrollment. Does gundy do a big camp for juniors with the alumni? Miami has paradise camp. A WR drill being coached by dez bryant and RB Drill being coaches by barry sanders is going to get get kids excited you build the relationship from there. Recruiting is about relationships. If you know current kids that are recruited you would be surprised how Obessed the top recruiters are with recruiting. Lane kiffin trolls alot but he brings excitement to a program I think he will improve their recruiting. kids like to be featured. I would have billboards up of Chuba and Spencer Sanders all over. Rutgers Football under Schiano put billboards up in south florida and wished the south florida community a happy holiday. Alumni in florida started calling their schools and were like the why hell havent we though of this. I would have chuba at a billboard or two in houston with Running Back U on it with him and thurman running over houston. Like basketball has the dallas to stillwater tweet, I would highlight players in dallas who went to OSU. I would also hire a better social media/creative content designer.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Highly ranked kids care alot about their brand. Miami hired Georgia’s graphic designer away. I guarantee it didn’t cost more than 100k. Get with the times OSU. Look at this article almost every team is a top recruiting team. You have a hesiman level running back. I would have him featured nationally! Kids see him having fun enjoying stillwater and they want to come. Mack brown is probably 90 years ago but he gets recruiting.

https://247sports.com/college/aubur...-edits-right-now-Recruits-chime-in-145926646/

Aug 7, 2006
Highly ranked kids care alot about their brand. Miami hired Georgia’s graphic designer away. I guarantee it didn’t cost more than 100k. Get with the times OSU. Look at this article almost every team is a top recruiting team. You have a hesiman level running back. I would have him featured nationally! Kids see him having fun enjoying stillwater and they want to come. Mack brown is probably 90 years ago but he gets recruiting.

https://247sports.com/college/aubur...-edits-right-now-Recruits-chime-in-145926646/
I feel like the graphic design stuff our guys do is pretty good. Maybe it's not marketed as well as it could be, but it's as good as most of the graphics in your link.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
I feel like the graphic design stuff our guys do is pretty good. Maybe it's not marketed as well as it could be, but it's as good as most of the graphics in your link.
i think its decent and I don’t know your age but guys my age aren’t getting recruited. Recruits usually post the best work for others to see so we would see top recruits posting our edits. Marketing could def improve!

Aug 7, 2006
i think its decent and I don’t know your age but guys my age aren’t getting recruited. Recruits usually post the best work for others to see so we would see top recruits posting our edits. Marketing could def improve!
Early 30s with a background in graphic design/video production...

We don't really recruit "top recruits", so it would be tough for them to post our stuff.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
In a related note: Why hasn't AD Holder done the same for all OSU sports. I mean, he's head of the department. He should have some leadership in this endeavor too.

I get contacted by the A&S College and the OSU Alumni Association almost on a weekly basis. Why is the OSU Athletic Department not reaching out like these two mentioned associations?

Come on, Holder. Put some people on this STAT, will ya.
I know people will gloss over it but if one of my employees that was a manager wasn’t forming good relationships with their employees and I was their boss part of that is on me. I like Holder as an AD but part of that is on him.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I know people will gloss over it but if one of my employees that was a manager wasn’t forming good relationships with their employees and I was their boss part of that is on me. I like Holder as an AD but part of that is on him.
That could be some of the noted friction between them.

Aug 7, 2006
I don't think people are glossing over that. I think most people understand that Holder's hands have basically been tied in regards to Gundy... especially after the last contract.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com

Thank you for posting this. Excellent point made.

You don't have to look far to find a social media team doing it right. Just look at how Cowboy basketball is marketing their players. Every day they post a featured video or picture of individual players on social media. I challenge everyone to go to OSUMBB and Cowboy_FB on Instagram and compare their feeds.

Since July 1:
OSUMBB = 14 posts
Cowboy_FB = 2 posts (1 video of the guys serving at Common Good Tulsa, 1 4th of July post)

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

You don't have to look far to find a social media team doing it right. Just look at how Cowboy basketball is marketing their players. Every day they post a featured video or picture of individual players on social media. I challenge everyone to go to OSUMBB and Cowboy_FB on Instagram and compare their feeds.

Since July 1:
OSUMBB = 14 posts
Cowboy_FB = 2 posts (1 video of the guys serving at Common Good Tulsa, 1 4th of July post)
You guys have some very valid points here.:thumbup:

I don't follow the social stuff like a lot of you, but I do have a 23 year old daughter, so I realize the impact social media has on these kids. Seems pretty simple to me: If it's a big deal to the kids you're recruiting, put some resources & effort into it for god's sakes. To me, it's no different than being trendy with uniforms, player's lounges at facilities, barbershops for them, etc....

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2010

Since July 1:
OSUMBB = 14 posts
Yeah, our basketball team just needs to start winning some games and getting into the NCAA tournament.

But, I agree with your sentiment. LSU had some awesome videos during the season.

Apr 7, 2006
I would speculate that Gundy doesn't have the same fire he once had. That's natural. He's been doing this for awhile, made a lot of money, got kids growing up and leaving the house and probably finds it harder and harder to relate with today's youth. He admitted that he wasn't as involved in 2018-2019 as he needed to be in the details. This is another reminder for him.

He probably needs to figure out what his own exit strategy is and find the spark between now and then to sharpen things up and then enjoy his retirement. I believe he's done a fantastic job and is blamed far too often, but I think at some point it's just hard to keep the same fire year after year for this long.

I often like to say - "don't trade the 80% that you've got for the 20% you don't have". We'll miss him when he's gone. He's got his faults, but he's a good coach and ambassador for OSU and he loves OSU/Stillwater.