Inviting Former Players Back

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
So you're saying that, staistical data indicates that, getting consistent top 25 classes would correlate to more success for OSU?

Asking for top 25 finsishes consistently in recruiting is not too much to ask for.

I simply dont understand why some people, not neccessarily you, but some people, cant admit that our recruiting has to get better.

Some OSU fans are so scared of OSU becoming a perennial loser that Gundy has gotten and continues to get a pass on all this stuff.
100% agree that our recruiting needs to get better.

My only point has been that statistically there's no difference between a top 30 and a top 45 class so saying that we are ahead or behind Baylor or TCU who are in that same grouping is a worthless statement. Say you want to recruit in the top 25 . . no argument from me. That's a change.

This is just like so many posts on threads here and other places. People are so ready to push their agenda (this case Gundy cant recruit) that they don't even consider the point the other person is making (rankings outside the top 25 are undifferentiated).

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
If you think we've made strides the past couple years...I mean good for you!! I would call them "major"...I see other programs telling the story of their respective programs. I mean look at the team down south, I would love to see half of that kind of creativity. You're not going to get that with Gavin at the Helm. Might wanna let Courtney Bay take over football....she does a hell of a job promoting and telling the story of cowboy basketball. The SID for softball...now works at Texas did a wonderful job selling and promoting Cowgirl softball. If you think football is compared to the work they've done...I don't what to tell you lol!!
Again, what specifically are you looking for in terms of “telling the story.” You’re being awfully vague instead of making direct comparisons.
In terms of marketing players....those players had to "BEG" to get highlights done for their position groups. I can easily pull out the receipts of them bitching and moaning how jealous other schools get video highlights and they don't. When you're players complain about it on twitter, it's an indicator so NO I'm not off base. You're just seem satisfied with the bare minimum.
Actually, it was defensive players that wanted highlights like the OSU offensive players got. I have those same receipts...you’re remembering it incorrectly to fit your narrative.

And in either case, it IS presently happening which is contrary to what you said initially. You’re moving goalposts.
Gundy barely win his share of recruiting battles against TCU, and Baylor. If that's the barometer of our program, its no wonder Gundy hasnt won a conference title since 2011. I'd like to see more recruiting battles against heavy hitters. If Mack Brown can get it done at UNC, don't see why not Gundy. I don't think asking for a top 25 recruiting with his success over the years is too much, but then again maybe it is.
Your cherry-picked comparison to a former national champion coach who is sparking new life into his former program is definitely something.
In terms of picking 2014...its a personal choice. If you want to rip me go ahead it's fair... That's when things started making a turn of projection of the program IMO.
What? In what way? If you mean a projection of upward trend, that started in 2010. If you mean downward trend, that’d be ridiculous considering we ripped off three 10 win seasons in a row after 2014.
In terms of Baylor...I'm curious how were they cheating?? Maybe I missed the NCAA laying the hammer or giving them postseason ban or reduction of scholarships... Last time I checked they weren't sanctioned by the NCAA?? Briles had players who were committing rape and charged although Oakman was acquitted...I haven't anything regarding to illegal recruiting, or ineligible players ...Baylor been waxing our ass since Briles been fired so what's your excuse?
Briles was a slimy recruiter and every Big12 coach/high school coach in Texas knows it. If you need actual sanctions from the NCAA as proof then you must think the entire SEC that hasn’t been busted is as clean as it gets when it comes to recruiting, right?
And now you're taking the Robert Allen approach. Anything pass 100 doesn't matter. Essentially dismissing rankings...GTFOH....those kids in the 100-200 likely have major D1 offers compare to the guys we getting with Ivy league, SMU, Tulane, UNT offers. Rankings are important IMO... Like I said, if you're happy with the recruiting, good for you. I'm not and I'll continue to voice it.
No, this isn’t an RA approach. It’s a recognition of an unavoidable flaw in the ranking systems from Rivals, to 247, to ESPN, etc.

Not all kids can go to high profile camps all across the country. There are a limited amount of ranking “experts” that can’t make it to see every kid in the country. That’s why our coaches’ evaluations show proof of just how much hard work they do to find kids that are undervalued.

And besides that, again, go take a look at the majority of who the coaches have offered in 2021. You’re cherry-picking a few without P5 offers while ignoring the mass majority with P5 offers.
Right....keep telling yourself that!! Blame it on the scheme. The scheme isn't that different. 2017 and 2018 were the same scheme. 2019 was literally the same concepts with the exception of the Leo position, turns into another LB creating a 3-3-5 depending the situation. Not like he revamped the defense completely, just add a couple new wrinkles. The "star" position is now an actual secondary player instead of a hybrid LB/S.
If you think Jim Knowles’ defensive scheme and gameplan is anything close to what Glenn Spencer did, then we can stop this debate right now. That’s just absurd.
Not just recruiting QBs...recruiting on the OL, and the entire defense. There's a reason why we rely on so many grad transfers at the CB position...might wanna take a guess?? Our LB recruiting has been abysmal. I will say the only decent we get on the defense is the DL, but they get better coaching. Big fan of Joe Bob.
So many grad transfers at CB? What? A whole two in four years?

LB recruiting has been abysmal? Do you just make every argument in hyperbole? Amen is a great linebacker. Before him, Justin Phillips was very good. Calvin Bundage in the prior scheme was a linebacker. Rodriguez spun down to LB because he fits that position in the new scheme much better. We’ll see how the younger guys shake out but Mason Cobb out of Utah is another example of an undervalued guy based on film and we also just grabbed Collin Oliver in the 2021 class as well.

Also, if you don’t think our safeties are at least “decent,” then again, I have no reason to have this debate with you.

wook

Deputy
Jun 23, 2005
The relationship with ex players and program goes both ways. If Thurman wanted to be more a part of the program all he has to do is reach out. It’s not Mike Gundy’s job to kiss Thurman’s butt or any other alumni. The athletic dept. should be do a much better job of communicating with ex players.
Wasn't Thurman one of the first pro athletes to pay back his alma mater by donating the money to fund a scholarship? Seems like it was a $250,000 gift. Was a long time ago, maybe even before Gundy was HC. Just saying, I think Thurman has reached out. But it is hard to do when you live half way across the country. Agree, the Athletic Department needs to do a better job on this.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Agreed. It's not that hard for Gundy to assign one of the assistants in the AD to send out greetings for him. It's not like he has to write our Hallmark cards and take them to the post office.

Keep these alumni close and have them meet with our recruits. Perhaps if Gundy did that, we'd have better recruiting classes and not constantly get our recruiting arses handed to us by the likes of Baylor and TCU.

Just look at where we are recruiting wise: http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/classrankings

Gundy could use all of the help he could get and having these great players hanging out at BPS would certainly fire up not only recruits, but fans as well.

It's kind of a no-brainer when you think of it and why hasn't someone mentioned it long before this is beyond me.

Come on, Coach. We are all wanting you to be even more successful.
I think the biggest issue we have is the size of the sidelines. I was on the sidelines of most every game for years. They are super crowded to be on, I was working and found it difficult. There are a number of requests and Mack does what he and his staff can to accommodate

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
The football program has asked players to come back every single year for a while now. Gundy has made a point to talk about it during multiple press conferences.

Now, has he personally met with each and every player that has come back during this time? Probably not. And there’s no doubt that is something he can try to improve on.

But I don’t think anyone should take an article about three or four hand-picked critical opinions and assume that is the sole experience of every single football alum that comes back to visit.
Exactly. It's called "Legends Weekend" Cowboy Football sends out invites to all former players every year to come for a designated home game and golf tournament. Gundy doesn't golf, but I know for fact he rides around in a cart and greets each participant, many of whom are former teammates.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Again, what specifically are you looking for in terms of “telling the story.” You’re being awfully vague instead of making direct comparisons.

Actually, it was defensive players that wanted highlights like the OSU offensive players got. I have those same receipts...you’re remembering it incorrectly to fit your narrative.

And in either case, it IS presently happening which is contrary to what you said initially. You’re moving goalposts.

Your cherry-picked comparison to a former national champion coach who is sparking new life into his former program is definitely something.

What? In what way? If you mean a projection of upward trend, that started in 2010. If you mean downward trend, that’d be ridiculous considering we ripped off three 10 win seasons in a row after 2014.

Briles was a slimy recruiter and every Big12 coach/high school coach in Texas knows it. If you need actual sanctions from the NCAA as proof then you must think the entire SEC that hasn’t been busted is as clean as it gets when it comes to recruiting, right?

No, this isn’t an RA approach. It’s a recognition of an unavoidable flaw in the ranking systems from Rivals, to 247, to ESPN, etc.

Not all kids can go to high profile camps all across the country. There are a limited amount of ranking “experts” that can’t make it to see every kid in the country. That’s why our coaches’ evaluations show proof of just how much hard work they do to find kids that are undervalued.

And besides that, again, go take a look at the majority of who the coaches have offered in 2021. You’re cherry-picking a few without P5 offers while ignoring the mass majority with P5 offers.

If you think Jim Knowles’ defensive scheme and gameplan is anything close to what Glenn Spencer did, then we can stop this debate right now. That’s just absurd.

LB recruiting has been abysmal? Do you just make every argument in hyperbole? Amen is a great linebacker. Before him, Justin Phillips was very good. Calvin Bundage in the prior scheme was a linebacker. Rodriguez spun down to LB because he fits that position in the new scheme much better. We’ll see how the younger guys shake out but Mason Cobb out of Utah is another example of an undervalued guy based on film and we also just grabbed Collin Oliver in the 2021 class as well.

Also, if you don’t think our safeties are at least “decent,” then again, I have no reason to have this debate with you.
I

Oh wow!! First off, we're differently talking about two different "receipts". I'm not talking about rodarius willams interaction with KHP with ashton Lampkin...mine go back a couple years.

Never heard of Briles recruiting tactics...again that's just another made up claim. I know for a fact HS in Texas loved him and his offense before he turned a blind eye on rape culture. No one talks about Baylor and cheating..that's just something you likely made up in your head. Don't need actual sanctions b/c no one in Texas associates Briles and cheating...they associate him with rape culture.

In terms of grad transfers CBs...let's see...Michael, Lenzy Pipkins, Adrian Baker, and Kemah Siverand..I believe that's four...not including Christian Holmes to make 5. Yeah we do hell of job developing CB's. I stand by the abysmal LB recruiting...Amen is a "good" LB, not great. Having one good season doesn't make you great....I swear folks you the term "great" too liberally. Let's see if he duplicates the production off last season. Malcolm was a safety not a LB, Calvin came in fairly regarded, but in terms of playing the position, he's a better athlete that an LB, in fact he hurt the team more than helped in 2018. Kid doesn't know how to play the position, just makes plays off athleticism. Imagine if he could learn the the position.

Don't know if I call Mason Cobb "undervalued"...his film fit his ranking IMO. Colin Oliver is recruited to play the Leo position and will coached by Joe Bob so I count him on the DL. Justin Phillip was a good LB, but outside of him...not much. Amen was our first LB to make all Big XII 1st or 2nd team in several seasons. I can't even remember the last time we had a LB drafted in the NFL?

The 4-2-5 defense is slightly different from Glenn's...same coverages on the back end for the most part except Glenn ran more quarters coverage than Jim Knowles. The one time Knowles ran quarters coverage constantly was in the Baylor game, which is why they Brewer killed us in the 2nd half of the game. Now Knowles taken the Leo position and made it a LB that moves over the field rather he's playing MLB or lined up on the outside near a slot WR. Only difference is Knowles has incorporated more 3 man looks, which is what Gundy wanted him to do. The front 6 have some more added responsible in terms of learning to 2 gap, but outside of that, a lot the principles of the original defense are still in place.

I don't think I ever criticized our safety play!!! KHP and Sterling are solid....Jarrick Bernard is overrated IMO, and I don't how moving him to CB is going to get him to play better.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/c...cle_41d23447-80b0-538e-8d45-1a30a4cb45cc.html
I've always envied the way OU's former players came back to campus and stayed connected to the program. And wondered why we never saw O'Neil, Dokes, Corker, Dykes, Mayes, Pettigrew, etc at games. Don't get me wrong, I think Guerin Emig is a gooner through and through and enjoys writing stuff to bring the Cowboy program down, but his article today made me sick if it is true that Gundy and the Athletics Department are truly doing such a horrible job of staying connected to former athletes. There should be at least 100 tickets set aside each game for former players and their immediate family each game, all located together so players can reconnect -- priority given to players who haven't been back in a while, were All-Americans, played professionally, etc. Announce their names between quarters or halftime, set up autograph booths, invite them into the locker room to talk to current players. Something has to be done to make this better. It's great exposure for the program.
Emig is a Jayhawk.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
How many of the posters here needed the school’s outreach to prompt them to attend football games or other athletic/school events? And do you think a free ticket is going suddenly make someone who’s not inclined to be interested to suddenly become interested?

IMO, you’re either interested or not. A periodic email and occasional free ticket won’t turn you into a superfan/donor/hanger-on.

Besides, every year former players are invited back for designed events over a game weekend. They have a chance to indicate their interest going forward. I’m sure someone pays attention and takes notes. I doubt seriously we’re losing out because the coaching staff isn’t “more” proactive.

Much to do about nothing. Just something for some to add to the “bitch about” pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
How many of the posters here needed the school’s outreach to prompt them to attend football games or other athletic/school events? And do you think a free ticket is going suddenly make someone who’s not inclined to be interested to suddenly become interested?

IMO, you’re either interested or not. A periodic email and occasional free ticket won’t turn you into a superfan/donor/hanger-on.

Besides, every year former players are invited back for designed events over a game weekend. They have a chance to indicate their interest going forward. I’m sure someone pays attention and takes notes. I doubt seriously we’re losing out because the coaching staff isn’t “more” proactive.

Much to do about nothing. Just something for some to add to the “bitch about” pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay....
Here's the strategy....

We're going to send you an occasional email, and an occasional free ticket then invite you to our recruiting event where all the recruits that are interested in OSU are welcome

Beyond that....
You're either interested or not so there is no need for our coaches to be pro active in your recruitment

Awesome strategy

Im sure that would be every bit as effective as the coaches playing an active role to detail the recruitment of each individual and develop strong connections to those recruits.

OSU has built in road blocks, geography etc. and thus cant pull off anything close to that strategy.

That would be the equivalent of a team that has inferior talent lining up in pro all day long and just running up the middle.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2007
Piedmont
Let me get this straight. Former football players say they have no contact with the University, Athletic Department or Gundy. They say they care deeply about OSU and it's brand. They are worried about OSU's image and branding and want a relationship with the University, AD, Athetic Department, football coach, etc.

So the way they address their concerns about OSU's image and brand...is to go on record with a reporter from the largest or second largest paper in Oklahoma?

Nah, that won't tarnish anything from a public relations point of view. It couldn't make OSU's brand look worse.

Nov 14, 2010
Let me get this straight. Former football players say they have no contact with the University, Athletic Department or Gundy. They say they care deeply about OSU and it's brand. They are worried about OSU's image and branding and want a relationship with the University, AD, Athetic Department, football coach, etc.

So the way they address their concerns about OSU's image and brand...is to go on record with a reporter from the largest or second largest paper in Oklahoma?

Nah, that won't tarnish anything from a public relations point of view. It couldn't make OSU's brand look worse.
It absolutely worked

They got everyones attention, including Gundy and everyone around him that can get his attention as well.

Now they will create the change that was needed at OSU.

Theyre not tarnishing OSU's brand at all

Theyre promoting OSU by stating how they still want to be a part of it

Gundy is the only one getting tarnished on this issue and rightfully so, he earned it

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.

You got it straight, too bad everyone can't be so enlightened.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Okay....
Here's the strategy....

We're going to send you an occasional email, and an occasional free ticket then invite you to our recruiting event where all the recruits that are interested in OSU are welcome

Beyond that....
You're either interested or not so there is no need for our coaches to be pro active in your recruitment

Awesome strategy

Im sure that would be every bit as effective as the coaches playing an active role to detail the recruitment of each individual and develop strong connections to those recruits.

OSU has built in road blocks, geography etc. and thus cant pull off anything close to that strategy.

That would be the equivalent of a team that has inferior talent lining up in pro all day long and just running up the middle.
Ok, I'll play. What does a more involved alumni group hope to get you?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I'm not trying to protect Gundy, he's a man.
But I do want to protect OSU and this certainly was a black mark and if you don't think that whenever Gundy looks bad that OSU looks bad then I can't help explain that to you..
The failure isn't just on Gundy. The AD, the head of PR, etc. should all be looking for gaps in the way OSU athletics run.

Same as the Chuba tweet, this could have been better handled with a group of former players going to Gundy or Holder and saying "hey, reach out. We'll be there. We want to be there"

Nov 14, 2010
Ok, I'll play. What does a more involved alumni group hope to get you?
More than could be realized and certainly more than ever before.

These D1 kids nowadays have people
in their communities or in their area that they train with....

Many times these trainers aren't neccessarily certified trainers; but are former players and they create networks and guide kids to one school or another

Many of these guys didnt quite make the NFL, but have a tremendous amount of credibility with High School kids.

I.E. Tracy Moore

On the flip side of that, many more times, they will work with a kid thats not getting looks like they should and will alert college coaches as to the fact fhat their is a kid that is under the radar that they need to get in on.

The more networked OSU becomes, the more high level kids get steered to play here, and the easier it becomes to find diamonds in the rough.

That's on top of the obvious benefits of having NFL Hall of Famers being more in the fold.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2007
Piedmont
It absolutely worked

They got everyones attention, including Gundy and everyone around him that can get his attention as well.

Now they will create the change that was needed at OSU.

Theyre not tarnishing OSU's brand at all

Theyre promoting OSU by stating how they still want to be a part of it

Gundy is the only one getting tarnished on this issue and rightfully so, he earned it
You don't think all the stuff that has transpired in the last few weeks has tarnished OSU's image or brand? You don't think Gundy getting tarnished hurts OSU or the football program?

Ever heard the saying "parent's shouldn't fight in front of the kids"?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Many times these trainers aren't neccessarily certified trainers; but are former players and they create networks and guide kids to one school or another

Many of these guys didnt quite make the NFL, but have a tremendous amount of credibility with High School kids.

I.E. Tracy Moore

On the flip side of that, many more times, they will work with a kid thats not getting looks like they should and will alert college coaches as to the fact fhat their is a kid that is under the radar that they need to get in on.

The more networked OSU becomes, the more high level kids get steered to play here, and the easier it becomes to find diamonds in the rough.

That's on top of the obvious benefits of having NFL Hall of Famers being more in the fold.
Ok. What do you hope to gain by involving former athletes?

Nov 14, 2010
You don't think all the stuff that has transpired in the last few weeks has tarnished OSU's image or brand? You don't think Gundy getting tarnished hurts OSU or the football program?

Ever heard the saying "parent's shouldn't fight in front of the kids"?
Gundy getting tarnished hurts OSU while he's here and in recruiting

Its not because the brand is being tarnished, its because Gundy is tarnished and he is the coach that kids wouldnt want to play for.

The issues have been attributed solely to him and is widely known as to not be a systemic or institutional issue.

For instance...after the first take issue Stephen A. Made the comment that "Gundy" has problems

He in no way thought that OSU had problems, other than Gundy being the coach.

It will be interesting to see how long the University keeps how and how far reaching his negative impact becomes.

Apparently Gundy was out with the Regents but Holder smoothed things over.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
Ok. What do you hope to gain by involving former athletes?
I already posted this answer, but since youre asking the same question, i'll post the same answer

I.E. Tracy Moore

That's on top of the obvious benefits of having NFL Hall of Famers being more in the fold

Sep 22, 2007
Piedmont
Gundy getting tarnished hurts OSU while he's here and in recruiting

Its not because the brand is being tarnished, its because Gundy is tarnished and he is the coach that kids wouldnt want to play for.

The issues have been attributed solely to him and is widely known as to not be a systemic or institutional issue.

For instance...after the first take issue Stephen A. Made the comment that "Gundy" has problems

He in no way thought that OSU had problems, other than Gundy being the coach.

It will be interesting to see how long the University keeps how and how far reaching his negative impact becomes.

Apparently Gundy was out with the Regents but Holder smoothed things over.
I don't think you understand. The continual attacks on Gundy do damage to OSU. People who love OSU are dumb and foolish to attack Gundy through the media.