Investigators find mass grave in Tulsa connected to 1921 Race Riots

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
Shocking to find graves in a cemetery! Unless this is a different area, there was an article in the last couple of days that said the area they are searching was once a pauper's area of the cemetery with most likely unmarked graves or wooden markers that had deteriorated. There were two marked graves in that area. And is it a "mass grave" if the people are in caskets? I don't know the definition, but I think of piles of bodies covered up and buried together when I think mass graves.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
The pictures look like they are right in the middle of a bunch of marked graves.

The coffins does seem to go against the thought of a mass grave. However, I don't know how it went down...But it does seem odd to burn down a community, kill hundreds, and then take the time to build coffins for all of them.

Mar 11, 2006
That amount of coffins and bodies may help provide credence that the death toll was actually closer to 16 (original reports) or 36 (what 2001 commission found).

The race riot is one that speculation about what MIGHT have occurred have obscured facts. What happened in 1921 was horrible and disgusting. What I never understand is the need to try to make up “potential” activities to make is seem even worse.
The fact that 16 to 36 people died is tragic. Why make wild claims, 80 years after the fact, that death toll may have been 300? Was slaughtering 30 people not bad enough?

Jun 28, 2018
Little Rock, Arkansas
I grew up in Tulsa. One of my OSU fraternity brothers was the son of a well-to-do lawyer in Tulsa. He was the youngest of many children. His family told him stories about having to hide their black maid, as rednecks were traveling door to door looking for Negros to beat and maim.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I grew up in Tulsa. One of my OSU fraternity brothers was the son of a well-to-do lawyer in Tulsa. He was the youngest of many children. His family told him stories about having to hide their black maid, as rednecks were traveling door to door looking for Negros to beat and maim.
The US army dropped bombs on Tulsa

Mar 11, 2006
The US army dropped bombs on Tulsa
Thank you for the example of incorrect claims made.

There were no reports at the time of any planes bombing. There were interviews during the 2001 commission, 80 years later, that included a couple of people making that claim. But, the commission concluded that it didn’t happen. However, people ...for some reason that I don’t understand...feel that that need to make this claim to make the 1921 race riot even worse. Why?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

There were no reports at the time of any planes bombing. There were interviews during the 2001 commission, 80 years later, that included a couple of people making that claim. But, the commission concluded that it didn’t happen. However, people ...for some reason that I don’t understand...feel that that need to make this claim to make the 1921 race riot even worse. Why?
Or the whole thing where newspapers were reporting it in 1921...that was later confirmed by the commission

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/t...cle_29eeeaa6-b654-579c-8e13-61f6baf98eca.html

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014

It is believed that planes were used by people for reconnaissance, photographs, and that some were reported to have people shooting guns from planes and dropping gas filled bottles...

Mar 11, 2006
Or the whole thing where newspapers were reporting it in 1921...that was later confirmed by the commission

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/t...cle_29eeeaa6-b654-579c-8e13-61f6baf98eca.html
So your CBS “story” says nothing about the US Army being involved. Why would you make that claim?

The 2001 Tulsa Race Riot commission, led by Richard Warner, concluded in their report, ”there were no reliable evidence to support such attacks.”
Also, the commissions hired an expert in explosions. He also concluded there was no evidence of explosions caused by air.

You continue to be an example of my original post about this. Some people have an inherent need to sensationalize things. In this case, you add a disgusting comment that the US Army was involved. Why do you feel the need to make such claims? Was the disputed claims about planes bombing not enough — the reputation of the US Army needed to be besmirched? Why are the real facts the race riot not bad enough? Why the need to fake claims?

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So your CBS “story” says nothing about the US Army being involved. Why would you make that claim?

The 2001 Tulsa Race Riot commission, led by Richard Warner, concluded in their report, ”there were no reliable evidence to support such attacks.”
Also, the commissions hired an expert in explosions. He also concluded there was no evidence of explosions caused by air.

You continue to be an example of my original post about this. Some people have an inherent need to sensationalize things. In this case, you add a disgusting comment that the US Army was involved. Why do you feel the need to make such claims? Was the disputed claims about planes bombing not enough — the reputation of the US Army needed to be besmirched? Why are the real facts the race riot not bad enough? Why the need to fake claims?
Apologies to the US Army..the planes were US Army training planes that had been sold to citizens

Of you want pretty much the most detailed account of what took place
http://fly.historicwings.com/2017/02/the-bombing-of-tulsa/

Mar 11, 2006
Apologies to the US Army..the planes were US Army training planes that had been sold to citizens

Of you want pretty much the most detailed account of what took place
http://fly.historicwings.com/2017/02/the-bombing-of-tulsa/
So even though the the Tulsa Race Riot Commission of 2001 investigated everything about the riot and concluded the claims of an aerial attack were incorrect...you are going to believe that item based on one persons account 80 years after?

So you believe this account from an obscure website (with details I have never seen anywhere else) over the detailed Riot Commission?
That still doesn’t answer my initial question. Why do people feel the need to add false stories to further sensationalize a horrible event?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So even though the the Tulsa Race Riot Commission of 2001 investigated everything about the riot and concluded the claims of an aerial attack were incorrect...you are going to believe that item based on one persons account 80 years after?

So you believe this account from an obscure website (with details I have never seen anywhere else) over the detailed Riot Commission?
That still doesn’t answer my initial question. Why do people feel the need to add false stories to further sensationalize a horrible event?
Ohh you mean detailed eye witness accounts of what happened ...that you call false...who's story was burried and intentionally suppressed until the last 15 years...of which a mass grave was announced to be found today

verbal

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Mar 26, 2009

So we should believe the commission that there were no plane bombings but not believe them when they estimate the deaths to be 100+.

Why do you feel the need to downplay everything that happened in Tulsa Race Massacre?

Mar 11, 2006
So we should believe the commission that there were no plane bombings but not believe them when they estimate the deaths to be 100+.

Why do you feel the need to downplay everything that happened in Tulsa Race Massacre?
Downplaying a race riot/massacre? Wow.

The official 2001 Tulsa Race Riot Commission (authorized in 1996) stated 39 confirmed deaths. And did state potential estimate of over 100.

Mar 11, 2006
Ohh you mean detailed eye witness accounts of what happened ...that you call false...who's story was burried and intentionally suppressed until the last 15 years...of which a mass grave was announced to be found today
The eyewitness account (according to the “story” in your link) was provided to John Hope Franklin’s dad. John Hope Franklin participated in gathering information for the 2001 Tulsa Race Riot Commission.
Are you saying John Hope Franklin intentionally suppressed his own father’s reports? Now that scandalous story! :laugh:

Last edited:

verbal

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Mar 26, 2009